Soft Armor solutions?

Andy Mahina

So I recently purchased a Velocity System LWPC and the single curve steel plates I was using are giving me issues with coverage. They don't sit right and bow at the bottom of the carrier. I've messed with the straps but it's not solving the problem.

I am looking at some III+ STOP plates from AT Armor that are multi-curved that are .55" thick. Since I cannot actually put them in my carrier I do not know if these plates (although very high quality and everything I am looking for from plates) will end the bowing at the bottom.

I have been looking into some IIIA rated soft armor from AT Armor but I am still a Padawan in my knowledge of soft armor.

Anyone here using soft armor in their PC?
If so, from who?

Andy Mahina

While I'm not using soft armor I can answer your original worry about the STOP armor.

I've been using STOP armor from AT Armor for the last two years in a Velocity Systems LWPC and they sit flush against my torso at the bottom and basically no "shelfing" at the top(thanks to the multi curve feature)

I get asked all the time and people poke me to see if I'm utilizing armor or not. They can't tell because it's very minimalistic.

I'm 6'2 250lbs and it's a solid fit. I think you'll be happy with the hard armor choice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sawlaw1

I mostly run ICW plates, so I typically have to use backers for proper ratings. Make sure whatever soft armor you are getting is NIJ certified, and on the current list. Budget determines what solutions you should be looking for, but plan to spend at least $600 on a set of concealable soft armor inserts for a vest. If you're just looking for plate backers it will probably run about $300 for the set from a reputable maker. The Crye precision inserts and Velocity dyneema ones are very highly regarded.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
The ICW plates I am familiar with require specific combinations of soft and hard armor. They dont allow for mix and match.

HighTower

Resurrection post,

My take; Logically, any rated 3A soft armor behind and any ICW hard plate should work, however comma...

The masters in mechanical engineering guy sitting next to me says there is some concern about brand plates with corresponding brand soft armor being the best practice, as each plate brand being a smidge different in some aspects same with corresponding soft armor. He recommends testing with various plates and panels to be sure if one wants to mix and match.

Example would be like 5+5 =10, as is 4+6, but 4+5 is 9...

So I'd risk mix and matching my ceradyne plate with SAS Kevlar panels (as I do with my RBAV) but that's due to my trust in both products... scorpion systems I have mild concern with due to their marketing practices.

I think this concern with time will be mitigated as FF Spectra/Dyneema becomes more prevelant.