So I had a moment of weakness, 3" 686 plus to be specific, need something dead to hold it on my belt.

Leather holster recommendations? I wouldn't mind something a bit fancy for carry. Kydex recommendations are welcome too as i have some plans to do some IDPA and such with the thing to make sure i wear the new off quickly.

shoobe01

Established
For Kydex, I really like the Blade Tech. Had one for years for my 19, but friends have competed in the past at National level with 586/686 with the same. They work well.

My favorite leather holsters (before I moved on to WMLs and RDS and stuff they don't really support) were Milt Sparks. So many good models, and I don't revolver that much so hard to suggest a specific model for that. Depends on needs, preferences.

Also suggested by many for revolvers especially, and with some more custom options, some pretty options, is Simply Rugged. Never used myself though.

Leather holster recommendations? I wouldn't mind something a bit fancy for carry. Kydex recommendations are welcome too as i have some plans to do some IDPA and such with the thing to make sure i wear the new off quickly.

Are you going to run moon clips and shoot at the ESR power factor or only load six rounds in speed loaders to shoot at the SSR power factor?

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
Welcome to the in between world of the 3". Its an awesome carry length but everyone wants you to have a 4" holster or a 2.75" that hangs the barrel out. Its very difficult to find stuff that isn't custom.

I'd recommend Privateer Leather. I've got two holsters for my Detective Special and one for my 3" M10 from him. Great work, just not fast.

For kydex, I'd go with JM Custom Kydex. I've got an IWB for my 3" M10 and IWB and OWB for my 4 inchers too. His S&W holsters work for both K and L frames, my 4" M681 fits fine in the ones I use for my K frames.

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
For a production holster, I have a Galco Combatmaster that's been pretty decent, especially for the price. They often run discounts as well. The recommendations above are also very solid, having had experience with Simply Rugged (pocket holster) and JMCK (AIWB holster).

lgm1

I’ll second the Galco stuff, at least for carry/basic IDPA class type use. The DeSantis products are very close to equal too. I use a Desantis daily with a Ruger SP101 in 2-1/4” barrel length. They also make a “SecondSix” speed loader pouch that rides the belt for concealment. For competition and/or a kydex type holster the DARA brand is very well made, has great sight channels and shaping, and has more options than most other brands. Also look into the alternative speedloaders out there now…Zeta6 flexible rubber speedloaders have a few variants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk