Small Quality Control Errors

Vinsynd

Amateur
After a fun day of finding small quality control errors, I thought it might be nice to hear from other people about little unexpected issues in manufacturing or lack of attention to detail that gets delivered to the end user. Please post any you’ve had in this thread and what subsequently happened.

This isn’t meant to be a bash a company thread- errors occur in every business, its more just a way to laugh about some of the small things that get in the way of a smooth process.

I’ll start.

Ordered 3 Sig Virtus Upper kits from SWFA, in all three of them the AR15 buffer tube adapter was missing the set screw. SWFA is going to call Sig and see about getting the screws.

Ordered 2 Virtus barrel caliber change kits direct from Sig. Each included a bolt, one bolt has an out of spec cam pin hole, wont fit MCX or Virtus cam pins (they are different between generations); other one is perfect. Sig is sending a new bolt.

Odinworks 6.5 Grendel upper arrived, recommended by the forum here. They included a “test fired” cartridge with the patches, Allen wrenches, etc. -it’s a spent .223 Remington case. No follow up was needed except a good chuckle.

Hayden

I got one. I wanted a 6.5 gasser and was looking at a GAP. Well the price was a bit much for me at the time so Instead I decided to grab a Seekins SP10 from Cabelas. Im a hugh Seekins fan and if ya dont know, GAP builds their big gass guns on Seekins uppers and lowers. Got the SP10 home and it would not even chamber a round. Emailed Glen and he had me send it back. So with not even one round through a brand new gun I sent it back to Glen. When the gun was returned, I put it in the safe and there it sat for a while. When I actually got to putting some rounds through it, I have not been inpressed. Trying LOTS of different ammo and some have been as bad as 2 MOA at 50yrds. I finally noticed on some loaded ejected rounds that had reamer marks on the bullet. I got a Hawkeye Bore Scope from a friend an had a look. It for sure has bad Reamer marks in the chamber and throat area. Not sure what Im gonna do. In the end Im not sure I want to send it back to Glen. I really want a Bartlin on it and thinking about calling up GAP and just have them spin up a Bartlin for me. BUT for a barrel and a gun that is Advertised as Match Grade, the Seekins Barrel should be better than it is. This experience is in no way gonna keep me from buying more Seekins stuff. I have a couple other built guns by me that are on Seekins Uppers and Lowers. Next to a old Billet MEGA, they are my Favorites.

Hayden.

bigfug

Amateur
I got one. I wanted a 6.5 gasser and was looking at a GAP. Well the price was a bit much for me at the time so Instead I decided to grab a Seekins SP10 from Cabelas. Im a hugh Seekins fan and if ya dont know, GAP builds their big gass guns on Seekins uppers and lowers. Got the SP10 home and it would not even chamber a round. Emailed Glen and he had me send it back. So with not even one round through a brand new gun I sent it back to Glen. When the gun was returned, I put it in the safe and there it sat for a while. When I actually got to putting some rounds through it, I have not been inpressed. Trying LOTS of different ammo and some have been as bad as 2 MOA at 50yrds. I finally noticed on some loaded ejected rounds that had reamer marks on the bullet. I got a Hawkeye Bore Scope from a friend an had a look. It for sure has bad Reamer marks in the chamber and throat area. Not sure what Im gonna do. In the end Im not sure I want to send it back to Glen. I really want a Bartlin on it and thinking about calling up GAP and just have them spin up a Bartlin for me. BUT for a barrel and a gun that is Advertised as Match Grade, the Seekins Barrel should be better than it is. This experience is in no way gonna keep me from buying more Seekins stuff. I have a couple other built guns by me that are on Seekins Uppers and Lowers. Next to a old Billet MEGA, they are my Favorites.

Hayden.

Can he send you a new barrel? That would seem like the acceptable fix. You can inspect it yourself and make sure its satisfactory before putting it in, and send the crap barrel back. Or see if its possible to have the chamber smoothed out by a local smith?

Glad I found this thread. Guns and American Quality Standards mean everything to me. However sometimes things do slip threw of which I still don't know why. Maybe a person can be an advocate for excellent quality and dismiss average quality. It is something about the term Mil-Spec and the price we pay that bothers me and I'm gonna work on why. Thanks

JLinn

Had a Waffen Weeks AK-74m pattern rifle several years ago. Casually knew the guy who's recently bought (started?) the company.

Finally got around to shooting it, and inspection of fired cases showed evidence of a horribly rough chamber. The rifle still fed, fired, and extracted, however. No guarantee it would have going forward.

Anyhow - they took the rifle back and either re-barrelled it or they polished the chamber for me. It came back to me with 10x mags for my trouble.

That's about it for gun-related QC.

Line of work related instruments: there are a few others, but it relates more to longevity / long term field use vs initial QC issues.

Nifty

Not gun related but I work in the aerospace industry. The quality control slips that I see from the manufacturing line make me shake my head every time. I mean these things only cost 10s of millions each. o_O

Usually its stupid things like: forgetting to counter sink holes/incorrect fillet reliefs or just straight up using the wrong fasteners. And much more. The longer I work the more nervous I get on commercial flights. :oops: