Sling management

What are you guys and gals doing for sling management? I am currently using Paracord shock cord to keep the folded sling against the stock when not in use. I am looking for other methods. I like how the Centrifuge Slings store. Just not enough to spend $340 on slings at the moment. I never tried Ranger bands but they seem similar to the shock cord in use. Thanks.

Fatboy

Established
I use a rubber band around the front rail/ light and pull my sling forward to tuck under it. Easy access, keeps the sling secure, and is easy to replace if it gets damaged. I can get pics later if needed.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
The webbing managers Blowers uses work well for me. Before that I used either heavy rubber bands from the range at work, bungee cord from REI, or free silicone bracelets they give away for everything. I want to simply pull on the sling and have it pop free.

Mike_IA

I use a rubber band/riggers band or SOb tactical combat band around the butt stock. I z-fold the sling and tuck it under the band. When I need it I pull in the band and have the sling ready.

Fatboy

Established
I use a rubber band/riggers band or SOb tactical combat band around the butt stock. I z-fold the sling and tuck it under the band. When I need it I pull in the band and have the sling ready.

I tried the buttstock method but it interfered with quick access in my patrol car. That was a main reason I switched to pulling it forward.

0uTkAsT

Amateur
Another guy using a rigger's band around the stock with the z-fold method here. It's one of those, "there's got to be a better way" things, yet I've never found a better way.

The Centrifuge sling is a great concept but I don't particularly like the idea of the 90-degree steel "t-handle" (for lack of a better term). I haven't used one so it might be the best thing ever, or it might not. It would be a no-brainer for me if it had a flat, grippy adjuster like the Magpul slings.

tmoore

I just give my local bike shop a visit and take some old tire tubes off their hands. cut into strips about two inches wide and use it the same as the blue force gear sling sleeve, works "pissa" and is free as shit! I have standardized on the blue force gear adjustable two point slings so any slack left in the sling after you fold it in the rubber can be taken up with a pull of the adjustment tab. to deploy you just pull the sling and it unfolds out of the rubber band and is ready to use, plus the rubber just stays on the sling nice and out of the way.

LukeNCMX

I now use the Centrifuge Sling and I have experience with the Blue Force Gear Sling Sleeve with a VCAS. I work uniformed patrol and I keep the rifle between the front seats in a handcuff style rifle rack.

I had good results using the sling sleeve when I setup my sling to mount at the end plate and just forward of the barrel nut on my AR. This mounting style left enough slack in the sling that when folded, the folded area would fully fill out the sleeve. In this setup the sleeve did a good job of keeping the sling from unraveling unless I deliberately deployed the sling.

I now mount my sling at the far end of the rail and on the buttstock. In this configuration, with the sling folded up, the sleeve was mostly unfilled and basically useless at keeping the sling policed up.

The Centrifuge Sling keeps the sling nice and tightly stowed until deliberate deployment. I like the metal T adjuster because it has a consistent unmistakeable hand feel no matter what, including with gloves on. I prefer the heavier webbing of the VCAS but overall the Centrifuge sling is a much better solution for my use case. I did a little research and it appears Sierratac manufactures the Centrifuge sling.

I can't remember where I saw it but I recall someone modifying an ITW G-hook to mimic the Centrifuge hook. I could see that being a great way to add the same functionality to any sling.

Mike_IA

@Fatboy i could see a different rack or mount needing the sling pinned to a different place on the rifle. The only thing I really don’t like is the methods that don’t pin the folded sling to the rifle at some point- they catch stuff almost as easily as the in folded sling.

Fatboy

Established
@Fatboy i could see a different rack or mount needing the sling pinned to a different place on the rifle. The only thing I really don’t like is the methods that don’t pin the folded sling to the rifle at some point- they catch stuff almost as easily as the in folded sling.

When its pulled forward it is held tight against the rifle. And all controls are accessible still as well.

David Mayeur

I just received my Centrifuge Sling the other day. I could probably make an entirely separate post on it, but since it was mentioned, I figured it was fitting. Previously, I was using (and will still use) an SOB B-Sling with the ALG QD mount. I don't care much for QD on the stock, so it worked well using the integrated QD socket on my Geissele Mk8.

Two things to mention about the Centrifuge Sling:
1) It does not come with QD mounts.
2) It requires much more space between the mounts to be effective at cinching tight.

The sling itself is made by Sierra Tac. The only difference between it and the Centrifuge sling is the little hook that allows it to cinch down to itself. IIRC, you can pick up a Sierra Tac for like $50, whereas the Centrifuge was about $70. Either way, the sling itself is very nice and the metal T-handle slider thing doesn't get in the way or bang all over your gun like I thought it would.

If you run a rearward sling point on your handguard, it may not be the sling for you. Thankfully, I had an extra QD sling swivel and a Magpul QD socket (which needs to be replaced with a MLOK mount). It works nicely, but FWIW, I'm not selling my B-Sling to buy more Centrifuge slings.

46771201535_623ffda5bd_c.jpg

Reed

+1 for the rear z-fold. I tried using my vtac and bfg slings but the tightening part was a little to bulky. This is just webbing off an old 3 point and a bike inner tube; with it being a HD rifle I don't think it really needs adjustment. The centrifuge looks pretty cool I might check it out; just need to justify buying something to replace something that works well :)

HD rifle sling.jpg

Blitzer613

Amateur
I'm running an ESD (Edgar Sherman Design) sling with a built-in retention band. Pretty slick...
MFKUQPa.jpg

QLuphN1.jpg

FzGph4P.jpg

How well does that sling stay put? If I were to go through a class with the rifle and leave the sling that way would it stay tucked or continually come undone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cthomas791

How well does that sling stay put? If I were to go through a class with the rifle and leave the sling that way would it stay tucked or continually come undone?

I’d say it’s probably only good for staging/ storage. (Which is how I use it)

I’d definitely use an additional ranger-band etc. if I had to maneuver with the sling put away.

Blitzer613

Amateur

I’d say it’s probably only good for staging/ storage. (Which is how I use it)

I’d definitely use an additional ranger-band etc. if I had to maneuver with the sling put away.

Thanks. I’m not sure how practical that would be (keeping the sling stowed) but at the same time I really like the idea of a sling staying on the rifle in the safe. If i can find a sling that will stay there and be: tight to the rifle, easy to pull the rifle out of the safe without dislodging the sling, and stay in place until I intentionally deploy it then I can see good use from that. Normally I just keep my slings in a range bag or on a shelf by my safe. It would be nice to have it in place for less prep time. More and more when I evaluate my storage practices for much of my gear I think about the guy who responded to the Sutherland Springs church shooting. The chances that I’ll ever have to do what he did is minuscule. But if I’m prepared for that (to walk out at a moments notice when lives depend on it without a great amount of preparation) then I’ll be well-prepared for someone breaking into my home or a number of more likely things.

MrMurphy

Tried ranger bands and folding up near stock. Switched to shock cord and folding up against the handguard. Less interference with car rifle rack.