Slim carry vs thick carry guns

anubismp

I have been considering a Glock 48 MOS or 43x Mos for something like a skinny roland. It will be my backup however as I work in uniform very little these days it will be mostly my primary carry. I have shot a 48 MOS and a hellcat and notice I shoot them fine but I am not as good with them as I am with a normal framed gun. Could just be less practice but they just arent as fast as a normal gun. As well, I can hide up to a comped RDS G34 with X300 in a floodlight with a t-shirt and jeans. Is there really a point in going with one of the slimmer guns?

Alternatively, I have also been looking at a Shadow systems MR920 because it will be "stock" but have some nice upgrades. The nice thing about that is our policy specifies factory authorized modifications only and the mr920 has the mods I would want from the factory, besides simply screwing a comp onto the barrel. As well, I have been to a few post shootings and it would be nice to have a simple answer to "does this have any modifications". Might be overthinking that one but its a possibility. I know no ones been hung specifically for mods besides that dust cover guy a while ago.

I spend most of my time in an office, a lot of driving and in plain clothes.

I would appreciate any thoughts on it.

ScottR65

There’s no point in carrying a slim small pistol if you can carry a Glock 34 comfortably. I carried a 19 for years before switching to the X Carry in 2018 then this XF in my photo in early 2020. All AIWB in Tenicor Velo holsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jnc36rcpd

If a slim carry pistols offers significant advantage in comfort or concealment, I can see the argument for transitioning. That is assuming additional practice will improve your skill with the smaller weapon up to that of your skill with fuller size pistols.

That said, if you just want the sexy new hotness, I'd stick with the larger capacity pistol that you already shoot to your standard.

Arete

As Pat used to say, TANSTAAFL. Everything is a compromise. But carrying the biggest gun you reasonably can has a lot going for it: easier to shoot, more control, higher capacity (if in a free state), and guns with more time for the cycle of operation to occur (Gov’t model v. Officer’s; G17 v. G26) are usually more reliable and more forgiving than their smaller versions. But a smaller gun on you beats a larger gun left behind.