Slim ankle IFAK carrier.

So most of the time I am wearing Ariat Boots they are comfortable and practical.

However, I would like to move my EDC medical from my pockets. What is the slimmest that will allow me to carry a CAT and Celox but allow me to expand if I have room?

I have thought of the flex but that isn't practical for work I would prefer a solution for both work and off duty.

Slim

Jerk Ingredients Off
Staff member
Ryker has a very slim, very lightweight ankle ifak you should check out. I'm carrying a folded cat5, gauze, gloves, benchmade belt cutter, ect. Works out with all my socks, shoes, and regular fit pants. Doesnt fall down even hiking or range time.

Ive tried the a couple others i dont recall at the moment, Dark angel also has a slim kit avail.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

David Mayeur

I have been using a Ryker Nylon Gear AFAK for over a year now. It carries a SOFTT-W, Combat Gauze LE, (2x) Nitrile Gloves, HALO Chest Seals (2 pack), 4" shears, and one NPA. It's relatively slim and can be worn under jeans or khakis with no issues.

Your other options are the ATLAS Achilles, Dark Angel Ankle Kit, Frog Pro SFD Responder 2.0, or the new HSGI Covert ankle kit.

There are other options like what is offered by Tac Med Solutions, but they are fairly simple in design.

MojoNixon

Established
I’ve been using the SFD Responder for about a year and a half. I looked at all available at the time and it’s features looked the best to me. The three pouches are made with BFG 10 Speed type elastic which easily confirms to what ever you put in them. Mine easily holds a compressed gauze and Izzy in one pouch, a pair of gloves, quick clot and a pair of chest seals and a disposable strap cutter and scissors in another and a CAT TQ and Sharpie in the third. Mesh lining keeps it comfortable all day. Outside of the main attachment tab is laser cut to allow attaching a small pouch for various other items

krax

Depends on what your EDC medical is.

I can fit an actual IFAK, minus the TQ, in a ryker rig, but modern-fit (no, not skinny) jeans sometimes don't blouse over the fully-stocked ankle bump. It's also just heavy enough to notice the weight (think ankle gun back issues) and it gets all sweaty under it in hot weather. For me, it's more of a low-pro IFAK for work stuff than a stateside EDC thing.

I carry a TQ on a Phlster Flex and then wrap a SWAT-T or compression bandage around a vacuum-packed Combat Gauze or Celox and carry that like a wallet in my back pocket.

David Mayeur

Depends on what your EDC medical is.

I can fit an actual IFAK, minus the TQ, in a ryker rig, but modern-fit (no, not skinny) jeans sometimes don't blouse over the fully-stocked ankle bump. It's also just heavy enough to notice the weight (think ankle gun back issues) and it gets all sweaty under it in hot weather. For me, it's more of a low-pro IFAK for work stuff than a stateside EDC thing.

I carry a TQ on a Phlster Flex and then wrap a SWAT-T or compression bandage around a vacuum-packed Combat Gauze or Celox and carry that like a wallet in my back pocket.

What are you carrying in the tourniquet pocket of the Ryker AFAK?

krax

I'm honestly not sure which one's the TQ pocket. Is that the smaller of the two? I've got the H&H mini compression bandage, a pair of gloves, and mini trauma shears stuffed in that one.

Chest dart and NPA in the chest dart pocket.

Flat-pack gauze, Celox Rapid Ribbon, in the bigger pocket.

Two Hy-Fin Vent seals in the back.

It's tight. Like I may have to use the shears to get the chest seals out.

David Mayeur

I'm honestly not sure which one's the TQ pocket. Is that the smaller of the two? I've got the H&H mini compression bandage, a pair of gloves, and mini trauma shears stuffed in that one.

Chest dart and NPA in the chest dart pocket.

Flat-pack gauze, Celox Rapid Ribbon, in the bigger pocket.

Two Hy-Fin Vent seals in the back.

It's tight. Like I may have to use the shears to get the chest seals out.

I suppose the pockets can be used for anything, but they are shown with a TQ, hemostatic gauze, and shears.

I have everything a trauma kit normally has except for a compression bandage.

8f63cd_db1d40201c764ce3b3e559bc953e82a5~mv2.jpg

krax

It may be more organized than it appears.

Since CUF pretty much means TQ only, I can use mine or the PT's and leave the kit on my ankle for later.

The shears and BSI are in the same spot and the strap keeps the mini compression bandage from falling out once those are removed.

Massive hemorrhage: Hemostatic and regular gauze are in the same pocket together. I like that since I can anticipate using one right after the other, then retrieving the bandage to finish it off (or finding more stuff to pack with).

Airway & Respiration: NPA and dart are together which is a little out of order, but I can pull the NPA out without the dart coming with it. The chest seals are a lot easier to remove if I've already used the bleeder stuff or, "Hey, dude, be a peach and put your hand over that hole while I wrestle with this cool-guy kit."

I haven't used the Ryker kit with a real patient or in LTT yet, so I can't say, "Works for me", with 100% confidence.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Some of you carry a shit ton more than I do. I just need to make sure which ever rig I choose will fit under a pair of cowboy boots.

P.S. Sorry for the delay getting back to my thread it has been one hell of a week.

David Mayeur

Some of you carry a shit ton more than I do. I just need to make sure which ever rig I choose will fit under a pair of cowboy boots.

P.S. Sorry for the delay getting back to my thread it has been one hell of a week.

I've carried my Ryker kit in cowboy boots. There is a pic on their Instagram page. I'll find it and post it.

Gypsy EDC

We have a couple rykers that currently see daily use, I'm excited to pick up an hsgi version to compare

I used to carry an Atlas Oregon ankle rig under my Ariats. The boot shaft did stretch a little to fit it but it doesn't look bad when compared to the other boot.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hum, I am going to have to look at that atlas rig. Thank you, folks!

My occasional attempts at ankle pistol carry with boots had me concerned.

David Mayeur

Hum, I am going to have to look at that atlas rig. Thank you, folks!

My occasional attempts at ankle pistol carry with boots had me concerned.

The neat thing about the Atlas is that you it has a strip of PALS which allows for a BFG ten speed pistol pouch or something similar to be added.