Slight dimple in primer when loading AR with charging handle

Cobbler

Hello All,

The other day I went to an incident where I thought I would like to have my rifle with me. ( Colt 6920) this rifle has all stock guts. I loaded my rifle using the charging handle, the bolt was forward. When I ejected the round later I looked at it and saw that there was a slight dimple on the primer. Is this common?

c_swart

Quantified Performance
From what I have seen it is common and have heard to put that round in the "training box" but do not put it back in the mag and trust it.. I'm no expert but pretty sure that's what I've heard listening to the mod casts and what I've read on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asr34

Amateur
It's fine. The firing pin in the BCG is free moving and not under spring tension. When the bolt goes forward, you get a little primer dent. Don't reuse it for serious purposes. Too many little dents can cause unreliable ignition of the primer. Doctor Roberts talks about it in his terminal ballistics Modcast.

B0308

Amateur
As noted above, common and normal. Also as noted, for serious use (once and it's done), maybe twice, but I mark the head stamp with a sharpie line. Same with handgun duty type ammo. YMMV.

Mikey Strauss

United States Postal Service Wat Cop
For duty guns we have our guys throw that round into a training box and replace it w/a new round.