Slickster vs. Ronin Assaulter Lite

So I'm planning on buying a plate carrier for classes/ home defense/ bugout. etc. I have looked around and decided quality over everything. The armor I have in mind is AR500 10x12 III+ steel plates. Since I do not have experience with either of these carriers I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are. What I need to know besides price and any other information that is needed to give me better suggestions. Money is not a big problem on this since there is a huge cost difference. Also, I plan on running an HSP Flatpack plus and a D3CRX chest rig (open to other chest rigs). This is my first post so hopefully, I didn't step on any toes. I have not seen any post on the Ronin Assaulter Lite here.

PlasticMag

Amateur
Start with real plates and work backwards from there. AR500 plates are not an option for so many reasons, all of them discussed either here or on the Facebook pages. Why would you go with the assaulter lite?

Start with real plates and work backwards from there. AR500 plates are not an option for so many reasons, all of them discussed either here or on the Facebook pages. Why would you go with the assaulter lite?
Just a curiosity. Many people online have seem to say its as good as a Crye JPC 2.0 but more refined. So i threw it on the list as a high end carrier. Tlas i saod AR500 is just what ive come across alot in my research. For longevity and usefulness. I knpw ceramics are lighter but generally have less shelf life and have heaed of them losing protection from a bad drop. I was in the Marines and have limited experimce with plates. Never saw the sand box so my plates disnt gwt muxh use ouraide of field ops.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

krax

I fully agree with PlasticMag. Steel plates are mostly junk, even the good ones. Good ceramic plates are so reasonably priced these days that there's no reason to use steel except in certain specialty roles.

I have the Slickster and would recommend it as a good carrier for anyone not carrying a lot of gear on/with their armor. There are other carriers that work just as well in that role though and just because a carrier has MOLLE on it doesn't mean you have to use any of it. The bonus with the Slickster is the cummerbund that lets you carry mags and whatnot. That's a fair bit of money saved over MOLLE pouches.

I'd hold off on the chest rig and pack until you've really worked out what you need to carry. A total of three pistol mags and three rifle mags is enough for most classes, statistically plenty for most .mil and LE shootings, and way more than enough for 99% of home defense scenarios.

I fully agree with PlasticMag. Steel plates are mostly junk, even the good ones. Good ceramic plates are so reasonably priced these days that there's no reason to use steel except in certain specialty roles.

I have the Slickster and would recommend it as a good carrier for anyone not carrying a lot of gear on/with their armor. There are other carriers that work just as well in that role though and just because a carrier has MOLLE on it doesn't mean you have to use any of it. The bonus with the Slickster is the cummerbund that lets you carry mags and whatnot. That's a fair bit of money saved over MOLLE pouches.

I'd hold off on the chest rig and pack until you've really worked out what you need to carry. A total of three pistol mags and three rifle mags is enough for most classes, statistically plenty for most .mil and LE shootings, and way more than enough for 99% of home defense scenarios.
I already have the pack is why i mentioned it. just a small EDC back that i also use on hikes. Im in agreement i dont have ti use all the molle thus me putring the slickster on the list. The only other role i could see a plate carrier in would be my security work. Recently got ceretified for armed and body guard work so s slickster would probably conceal pretty well under my uniform and/or suit. Which ceramics are recommended. I havent loked at them in awhile so i have no idea whixh brand are worth the cash and who is just all snake oil with no results. Or a link to the proper thread would help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

krax

The Ferro Slickster, First Spear Ragnar, First Spear Slick, Mayflower LE PC, Velocity LWPC, and BFG PLATEminus would all fit your needs, particularly in a solid color. Then again, a plain-Jane soft armor carrier might be just as good or better.

AT Armor, OP Tactical, SKD, and Austere Provisions are a few of the reputable sources for plates and soft armor. Your best bet would be to call AT Armor and work out your needs and budget.

MrMurphy

You won't be hiding plates in a suit unless its specifically tailored for it. Even soft armor looks odd in a suit.

Call AT armor and start reading. I wore IBA when i was in and was only generally familiar with current options. After Dallas when every cop in the country was throwing cash at armor vendors like a stripper convention, Mike still patiently answered my questions and got me set up in a month.

You won't be hiding plates in a suit unless its specifically tailored for it. Even soft armor looks odd in a suit.

Call AT armor and start reading. I wore IBA when i was in and was only generally familiar with current options. After Dallas when every cop in the country was throwing cash at armor vendors like a stripper convention, Mike still patiently answered my questions and got me set up in a month.

I will give them a call as well to find out some more information. Thanks

Post phone call with AT Armor. Mike suggested a concealable light armor carrier for my day job something from Safariland or Point blank whichever my local cop shop suggests so I'm going in tomorrow and ask some questions. For classes/home defense/SHTF/etc. a plate carrier was suggested namely the Mayflower LEPC. So for the forum piece with this new information who has used the Ferro Concepts Slickster and who has used the Mayflower LEPC? I want to know thoughts on the carriers from people who have used them so I can decide which since they seem to be the same in design. For the concealable armor carrier who has used Safariland and who has used point blank. Each company has a few different models so In wonder what people thought of them. I will be getting plates from AT no matter what plate carrier I get, the soft armor is still up in the air.

MrMurphy

I wear a fitted Point Blank daily. Its soft armor, they are heat traps. But its not bad or overly bulky. You will have to have uniforms measured while wearing the vest.

krax

Slickster vs. LEPC isn't exactly apples to apples, and they're both great kit.

The LEPC is basically a stripped-down APC. It's got a drag handle that'll affect concealability. What it's got going for it is the integrated kangaroo pouch and admin pouch.

The Slickster will "conceal" better and it's a little cheaper than the LEPC. If you want to plus it up on ammo, you can use velcro-backed pouches or a flap/chest rig. If you want the kangaroo capability of the LEPC, Ferro now sells a front flap with a kangaroo pouch.

SoTex

Amateur
If you're getting soft body armor in a concealable carrier, go to a cop shop and have someone who knows how to measure armor take care of you. The newest stuff out there right now is super light and flexible compared to what it was even 5 years ago. Still a heat trap, and you're gonna pay a premium for the latest greatest.

As far as carrier goes, I really like the slickster, but have never used the LEPC. I have a D3CRX and it is going to hang off of the sides of the slickster. Have a spiritus placard as well and it makes a pretty good pair with the slickster in my opinion. The Mayflower triple 7.62/5.56 is a very adaptive placard for the slickster setup as well. Since it will take a 7.62 mag the cells can do double duty for a lot of other stuff. Also hangs off the sides just a tad, but less than the D3CRX.

None of this is going to truly conceal in a suit. Anyone paying attention, much less anyone looking for a threat is going to notice. You're best bet would be the soft armor route and a really good tailor.