Single Action Revolvers

Anyone still carrying SA revolvers?! I really like the 1860, with the longer stocks. Several Italian manufacturers also reproduce 1873’s with Army stocks as well. The .44 black powder produces similar ballistics to a .38 special, some may even approach .45acp ballistics. I find them extremely enjoyable to shoot and look at.

I consider SA’s to be about the least ideal carry choice, they’re heavy with limited capacity, and typically chambered in underwhelming cartridges. I find it fascinating that people like Patton, Frank Hamer, and other Texas Rangers and Law Enforcement still carried SA Revolvers deep into the 20th century; after DA revolvers and 1911’s became standard.
IMG_2313.jpeg

I don't carry them, but I did briefly compete in SASS CAS. Was never very good, but I imagine I have more experience than most people around my age.

There was a gunsmith that I took a few things to who used a 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk in a cowboy rig as his EDC due to several decades of CAS experience. When I questioned why he used that instead of a Glock, 1911, etc he essentially said he had more trigger time on it than anything else by a long shot, and he'd rather use something he's more confident with than something more capable.
Folks like Hamer show that they can be plenty capable against more modern firearms, though I don't think I'd ever recommend it.

That said, I wouldn't call their common chamberings underwhelming. Across 38/357/44(special and magnum)/45 Colt I'd be fairly happy with any of their ballistics. Getting into blackpowder would be a different matter, especially once you move away from the self contained cartridge.

JLL2013

Patton had a negligent discharge while trying to adjust a Colt automatic pistol in his waistband...that's the real reason he embraced the revolver. He was a bit of fudd in that regard...

Patton had a negligent discharge while trying to adjust a Colt automatic pistol in his waistband...that's the real reason he embraced the revolver. He was a bit of fudd in that regard...
To be fair the same could be said of Chesty Puller and Bill Jordan lol

The linked article below is from five or so years back. If it was written by almost anyone other than who wrote it I would be a bit skeptical.

Ruger Blackhawks in magnum chamberings, or in .45 LC are very well suited for the trails and mountains if you don't mind carrying the weight. Even a BP revolver loaded properly in 44 or 45 caliber will stop most things in their tracks. Colts and clones are good as well, but you'll not be able to get as much pop out of them as you can a Ruger. A .357 Blackhawk, or a Vaquero for that matter, will totally handle the max loaded 180 grain flatpoints I use in my Marlin carbine, as example. That said, if I were to be carrying a single action revolver for every day use out in the world, I'd be carrying two of them.

Single Action Revolvers for Self Defense

JLL2013

The linked article below is from five or so years back. If it was written by almost anyone other than who wrote it I would be a bit skeptical.

Ruger Blackhawks in magnum chamberings, or in .45 LC are very well suited for the trails and mountains if you don't mind carrying the weight. Even a BP revolver loaded properly in 44 or 45 caliber will stop most things in their tracks. Colts and clones are good as well, but you'll not be able to get as much pop out of them as you can a Ruger. A .357 Blackhawk, or a Vaquero for that matter, will totally handle the max loaded 180 grain flatpoints I use in my Marlin carbine, as example. That said, if I were to be carrying a single action revolver for every day use out in the world, I'd be carrying two of them.

Single Action Revolvers for Self Defense
Interesting read. I think it's pretty obvious that "just carry another gun" is a lame retort. Two full size, steel revolvers to get a whopping 12 rds...But what do I know?