Simunition face/helmet suggestions?

I'm looking for ideas for a good sims face/eye/helmet protection. I'm in the process of getting assigned to our training unit and we have the basic (old) sims helmets. I'd like to have a personally owned setup instead of pulling one off the rack.

I'd also be open to running a pro mask if I can gut it so the students can hear what I'm saying.

Thoughts?

Grizzly

Gas mask + ballistic shield works great. Team that up with a helmet of any sort, ear pro and a neck protector or scarf and you are good to go. I like to putz around and rig stuff up so I've got an old MICH helmet with pieces of leather zip tied to the helmet straps. It stops the sim rounds and is much cooler (imho) than ear pro + scarf + neck pro. You just pay the price of looking... "special".

I've also seen guys run a airsoft mask with extra ballistic shielding combined with an airsoft helmet (get the thick versions) it stands up just fine to direct UTM shots in very cold weather. His helmet and mask also had little ventilation fans to deal with fogging.

Dr. No

We've used paintball masks for competition. They are .... so so. They don't fog, which was the most important thing. You may get slightly injured if you take a shot to the mouth.

mark1911

<Catchy Title Coming Soon>
Staff member
Vendor
Combatives: I've used the both the Blauer/LBT High Gear helmet, and the FIST helmet; and their body protection suits as well. Both are good, but different. High gear fits more like sparing gear, while the FIST moves around on impact to lessen injury, or so I've been told. For me, a slight edge to the High Gear, but others really like the FIST helmet.

Simple scenario to complex, primarily gun play: I've used paintball type of masks, and the SIM helmets (I think all of the generations and types), and Avon APR/P-mask C50/FM53. Avon masks clear the lens better than any other helmet I've used. Need to cover the ears with some type of electronic hearing protection. If there is ever a choice, get or buy Avon, everything else is third rate.

I really like the idea of the UTM/RTB face shield. Allows more visual facial clues for the role player wearing one.

Consider whatever safety measures and lawyers say is the authorized/certified/recommended.

Congrats on the re-assignment, never forget where you came from.

mark

Grizzly

Another plus of most gas masks is they can be equipped with voice amplifiers. Not sure about the avon but I know the mcu-2p masks can have them. And they help quite a bit with being heard. Again with the mcu-2p you can put breathing adapters on both sides and make a kydex cover for the gas mask hole with .18" holes all over it to greatly increase how much you can breath. Doing that also makes shooting from either side easier.

You can kind of see the kydex cover on the right side. If someone wants more details I can get better pictures of how it.

rainbow.jpg

275RLTW

I've used a few paintball masks for UTM to find something lighter and more breathable than the traditional Sim "Darth Vader" helmets. Finding one that would hold up to 5.56 UTM rounds without shattering the lens or passing through the vent holes was my main concern. I understand that most paintball masks are not full face/head protection but for controlled scenarios, I was OK with that as it also allowed me to utilize different head gear if role playing and also keep me on my toes. With that, I found the Save Phace brand of mask the best for the above mentioned requirements, changeable lenses, and we could wear our comms underneath, even peltors. Coupled with some generic neck protection and the realization that I could still tagged in the back of the head (it happened a few times), I was fine for running scenarios all day and not be overheated.