SIG TXG Grip Module for duty?

Hey all,

I carry a P320 on duty. I recently bought a newer version, the P320 X FULL PRO with TXG Tungsten Grip Module to replace my older 320.

I was carrying a Wilson Combat grip module, but this Tungsten grip mod really works as advertised as far as reducing felt recoil and aiding in faster follow up shots. So, on that end, all is well.

However, there seems to be some rumblings around the internet that this specific module isn't fit for "duty" use and only recreation. Forgive me for linking to Reddit:

Do any of you have any experience with the TXG grip on duty in regards to durability? My city is fairly....active....and rolling around on concrete is not a rare occasion. My WC grip module is pretty torn up from scuffles.

Thanks,
Grant

Eh0O80h.jpg

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
No direct experience with the TXG grip module personally, but I’m also an active member over on the BEnos competition shooting forums (where nearly every user is putting high round counts through a X-Five Legion), and I don’t recall seeing this raised as an issue there. Hopefully some of our other members here will have more direct experience to be able to answer your question.

I’ll start a thread over on the BEnos forums asking if anyone has had or has heard of the TXG grip being noticeably more brittle and will report back. In the meantime, if you’d like to continue using the WC grip module but have the extra weight to absorb recoil, you can try getting the Armory Craft tungsten weight kit made specifically for the WC grip modules:

https://www.armorycraft.com/product-page/tungsten-weight-kit-wilson-combat-p320-grip-modules

Installing those rods takes the WC grip module from 94 grams up to 138 grams and will help soak up some of the recoil like the TXG grip module

Rudukai13,

Your help is much appreciated! I don't have huge hands, but the Wilson almost seems too small, weird I know. The TXG, while not near as comfortable as the Wilson, just feels so much better when actually firing. I was very skeptical about it when I bought it, but I am pleased now.

tylerw02

I’ve got 9k rounds on my X5 Legion. No problems. If anything, I’d say it seems to be less brittle. I could push my thumbnail into it and it would leave an impression. I’ve known guys to stipple, whittle, sand and Dremel on them with no problems. I’ve seen lots of guys with them at USPSA. They are good to go.

I’ve got 9k rounds on my X5 Legion. No problems. If anything, I’d say it seems to be less brittle. I could push my thumbnail into it and it would leave an impression. I’ve known guys to stipple, whittle, sand and Dremel on them with no problems. I’ve seen lots of guys with them at USPSA. They are good to go.
Awesome thank you

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
So far the consensus from the BEnos forums raises no cause for concern, no reports of cracks of breakage with the TXG grip module even on round counts into the tens of thousands. I’d say you should be good to go for duty use

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
That's not a product line, that's just Proven Outfitter's webpage for SIG's IOP.

If you google the SKU from that page though (W320F9BXR3TXGPRORXP) it comes up on multiple websites as a factory configuration for LE/Mil only:

https://thesigapp.com/sig-sauer-w320f-9-bxr3-txg-pro-rxp.html

https://www.sticksandstonesarms.com...m-3-x-17-round-romeo-1-pro-3moa-program-only/

@lowspeed_highdrag it was pointed out in my thread on BEnos that the TXG module is not generally used on configurations that are chambered in 40S&W or 357Sig which would put greater stress forces on the components and increase the likelihood of breakage, but from your picture your pistol is chambered in 9mm so again no need for concern

Default.mp3

Established
If you google the SKU from that page though (W320F9BXR3TXGPRORXP) it comes up on multiple websites as a factory configuration for LE/Mil only:

https://thesigapp.com/sig-sauer-w320f-9-bxr3-txg-pro-rxp.html

https://www.sticksandstonesarms.com...m-3-x-17-round-romeo-1-pro-3moa-program-only/
Those are all links to each reseller's SIG IOP page. None of them suggest that this is specifically for duty use. The unique SKU doesn't really mean anything, as blue label Glocks all have unique SKUs, too, despite not being actually any different from red labels or white labels; it's just a way to differentiate the different packages, but the products themselves are the same, and do not suggest that SIG has suddenly found the TXG modules to be duty ready.

Default.mp3

Established
Also, I'm not seeing how round counts are of much help here in determining the frame's appropriateness for duty; the concern here is the brittleness of the frame, and thus the potential for cracking or damaging of the frame due to external impacts (e.g., slamming it into patrol car doors, falling on top of the frame, etc.), not the high round counts. Low probability event that the frame would crack under each incident, but clearly SIG has found it to be a big enough issue that they will print out a bunch of documents to deny liability; I guess if you really want to use a heavy frame for duty use with total piece of mind, you'll have to somehow find an Alpha frame.

So just to clarify a few things:

The pistol I bought was a factory LE configuration from Sigs Pro line, sold by Osage County Guns.

There was no literature included in the box or manual that this grip mod was unsat, nor can I find anything recent about that literature being included with the TXG grip any longer.

I found out about this by simply doing some research prior to purchase.

I'd call sig, but they're a bit busy currently.

Well, that was short lived. I carried for a week at a Carbine Instructor Course, and a week on duty. Boy, it was heavy. Any positives gained in recoil reduction are drowned out by the weight. Back to WC Grip Mods.

tylerw02

Well, that was short lived. I carried for a week at a Carbine Instructor Course, and a week on duty. Boy, it was heavy. Any positives gained in recoil reduction are drowned out by the weight. Back to WC Grip Mods.

I figured you’d ultimately come to this conclusion. That WC module is nice. Maybe add a heavier guide rod, some weights and call it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
If you’re looking for a grip module that won’t get damaged from rolling on concrete and adds a little more weight than the WC polymer grip but not as much as the TXG grip, I’d suggest looking at the Icarus Precision billet aluminum Pro Comp grip module:

https://www.icarusprecision.com/product-page/a-c-e-320-pro-competition

It’s only about $20 more than the TXG grip, won’t get damaged or cracked nearly as easily as any polymer module, and weighs slightly more than a polymer Fullsize grip but not as much as the TXG grip. Nice aggressive grip texture, integrated magwell, and cerakoted in the color of your choice. They should be back in stock this week, but you can preorder now

NEC_0170

Amateur
If you’re looking for a grip module that won’t get damaged from rolling on concrete and adds a little more weight than the WC polymer grip but not as much as the TXG grip, I’d suggest looking at the Icarus Precision billet aluminum Pro Comp grip module:

https://www.icarusprecision.com/product-page/a-c-e-320-pro-competition

It’s only about $20 more than the TXG grip, won’t get damaged or cracked nearly as easily as any polymer module, and weighs slightly more than a polymer Fullsize grip but not as much as the TXG grip. Nice aggressive grip texture, integrated magwell, and cerakoted in the color of your choice. They should be back in stock this week, but you can preorder now
Not a fan of the magwell - looks perfect other than that. Can't figure out the "partial" magwell for a grip module marketed as a Competition grip module?

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Not a fan of the magwell - looks perfect other than that. Can't figure out the "partial" magwell for a grip module marketed as a Competition grip module?

The designer doesn’t fully understand the division rules for competitions is unfortunately the problem. I agree it’s not ideal. I among others attempted to advise them on features and design feedback

tylerw02

I spoke to the guy over on IG. I inquired on a grip module that would either have a full magwell or take aftermarket magwells. I had the intention of building an open gun. He asked me what needed changed, I explained the divisions and the division rules with links. Then next thing he ghosted and never responded after being initially very interested.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I spoke to the guy over on IG. I inquired on a grip module that would either have a full magwell or take aftermarket magwells. I had the intention of building an open gun. He asked me what needed changed, I explained the divisions and the division rules with links. Then next thing he ghosted and never responded after being initially very interested.

In my experience communicating with them they’re not the most responsive one on one particularly through social media, but they do respond fairly well to popular consumer requests once they hear things from enough people. I’d recommend either calling or emailing them from their website to open a dialog with someone and bypassing their social media manager

JPitts0117

I we got a buddy who carries a legion x5 in duty and he loves it. How s dept is fairly busy too and he’s always into some kind of bs involving a fight or something he hasn’t reported any issues with it so far