SIG Romeo 8T + Magnifier on the AR15

DavidMS

Amateur
I have a 14.5" AR15 with a SIG Romeo 8T which is a wonderful optic for the rifle. I decided to get a magnifier to put behind it (selected the Vortex 3x). Its great except the rear lens cap for the Romeo 8T won't open all the way because the magnifier is in the way. So I tried moving the Romeo 8T forward but that causes it to bridge the receiver and hand guard (I understand this is a bad thing). Then I got a ARMS rail. Which allows the optic to be moved forward slightly but then the magnifier's QD mount for whatever reason won't attach to the ARMS rail. I'm not sure the best way forward on this one so that I can keep the magnifier on the rifle and the rear lens cap won't fowl when opening on the magnifier.

shoobe01

Established
Take off the rear lenscap on the optic. Frankly, I don't run any caps on any RDS as they are quick action sights, want to be used to having them up and ready when carrying. Stored, I will put something over the front (I store all muzzle up) to keep dust off, but something like a hotel card that falls away when I pick the gun up.

ASSUMING the magnifier is a flip-to-side, does that not provide enough clearance to flip up the rear lenscap? It should I would think.

You should be running the gun by default in non-magnifier mode; just like running an LPVO at 1x until a threat, this is the quick action mode. If there's a threat (or opportunity) that requires magnification, it usually also provides the time to zoom/flip.

So, by default your gun should be set so the RDS is clear access, and it only blocks when in magnified mode.

DavidMS

Amateur
The magnifier is flip to side. When flipped to the side, the lens cover is blocked from flipping open. I am concerned that given just how tightly the safe is packed having exposed glass. What I may do is simply QD the magnifer on/off as needed. The real solution you are sugesting is a larger safe. Thanks!

shoobe01

Established
Oh sure, it may be flipped flat for storage. I mean when it comes out, when walking through the woods, etc. If worried about scratching the rear lens on the optic, then the magnifier inline should protect both lenses as they are very close to each other; then you can remove the rear cover from the RDS.

Ponder.