Sig p226?

JPitts0117

Ok guys, I've been debating on getting a Sig p226 as a sort of range toy if you will. I've been shooting striker fired weapons for the last several years and have become acclimated to the trigger system, how big of a pain is it to get used to the da/sa trigger? Any drills that can help with this? Would I be doing myself an injustice by getting a da/sa Sig? I say da/sa because I know Sig has the new 320 which has an amazing factory trigger for a striker fired weapon(want that type of trigger on my g19). Any basic info I should know before dropping the cost of a new glock on a used Sig?

N

nate89

I have been shooting a 226 almost exclusively in competition and classes, as well as carrying it daily for about two years now. If you want to get some solid info about mastering the DA/SA trigger, look up Earnest Langdon. I just took a class from him, and he also has a fair amount of material online video-wise that will give you a good place to start. Anything I can say has pretty much been said better by him. I would only add that you can absolutely master the DA trigger. You can take precision shots double action, and it does not need to slow your first shot down. Pistol-training.com has a DA/SA specific dot torture that I use on occasion. Dry fire is also a big help. Focus on a smooth press all the way through (not staging the trigger). While dry firing, you can really focus on the front sight and verify that your sight picture is not being disturbed by your trigger pull. Sig 226 has been a great gun for me. I have over 15k through mine, and am very happy with it.

This is part one of a two part video Earnest did.

Tricks

Amateur
I will tell you that Nate really does well with a DA/SA trigger. I have seen him take top shooter at several training classes. He also regularly wins a local club match shooting his 226, even with people shooting guns with "better triggers".
I really think the DA/SA trigger can be mastered it just comes down to are you willing to put in the time and training to learn it. I had a Sig 226 for a while and was an OK shooter with it, but sold it because I wanted to stay with one stile of handgun.

JPitts0117

Thanks Tricks. The multiple platforms is kinda my worry, I thought about trying a p320 since it's a striker fired as well but I'm going to wait til they've been out a bit longer.

JPitts0117

Thanks Matt. I read that it was one of the threads that made me change my mind about the p320. Our highway patrol was issued the p320 and had to send them back due to a 30% failure rate from ftf to get, so I've strayed from them so far.