Sig Academy Training

norcimmus

Anyone have experience with training at the Sig Academy? The facility looks state of the art, almost like a Acdemi/Blackwater Disneyland for the Northeast. Other than guest instructors, how are their in-house training/curriculum? The schedules don't list instructors for the particular classes. They offer lots of incremental levels of training, what should I expect out of them to get the most out of my money and education?

fce

Been there with guest instructors only, but every time sig instructor Steve Gilcreast participated in the classes. He's got the knowledge and experience I would assume anything he teaches would be top notch.

Andrew Y.

Been there twice, it's a great facility, I don't have any complaints with the basic classes I went through. All of the instructors have been great. The one downside may be you get local people who just show up as something to do. I have some AARs I'll upload in that forum.

norcimmus

I attended their Rifle 102 (full day course) and 102.5 (half-day course) during the weekend in Epping, NH. Their indoor 50 yard rifle range was top notch, although I prefer to shoot rifle outdoors for the extended range and alleviation of rifle concussion. I had different instructors on each course and their level of instruction was great. I thought the curriculum was a bit slow but had to keep in mind that this is a crawling phase class, Sig's first live-fire open-enrollment course offered to civilians without prior training at Sig Academy or equivalent documented training. I mainly took these courses to check the box so I can attend their more advanced courses but I misread and found out I could've taken their Defensive Rifle without any prerequisites.

The second half-day course, Rifle 102.5, was Rifle 102 all over again compressed in a 4-hour instruction block format. I don't recommend taking 102.5 unless you haven't touched a rifle in years and are uncomfortable with your own very basic rifle handling skillset. I took this course because my partner and I had split hotel rooms for the weekend which helped offset the cost of the weekend. Tacking an additional $115 course fee for my weekend getaway to get some extra reps in at the facility was a sound idea. We took over an hour and some change zeroing rifles, certainly a waste of time since half of the students were using loaner MCX rifles. The instruction for each maneuver took just as long explaining/demonstrating as the 8-hour Rifle 102 class, which detracted from students getting more time behind the gun to perform those designated tasks. This class should've been 10% of instruction/demonstration and 90% students actually running those drills. I must admit that about 1/4 of the students shouldn't have attended this class, belonging in the full day of Rifle 102 instead.

If you're pretty confident in the very basics of carbine handling, I suggest you skip right to the Defensive Rifle course.

Indoor rifle range:

31397690753_78fbbd0154_b.jpg

31365011493_b146da8e85_b.jpg

Matt0311

I've been up there for Police Rifle and Police Pistol last year. Small class size, about 8-10 guys and one instructor. Actually the first day was a bigger class, during the post class critique I raised the student instructor ratio and if I recall correctly the instructor said they try to have another instructor when it's that size. I believe the whole critique process was taken seriously and the instructor said several times that their director reads every single one and the feedback is important. And despite the student instructor ratio the first day the guy still did a great job and I don't think anyone was neglected. Instructor was a full time employee.

The facility is great. I'd compare it to Moyock without the track and pond. Good food and lodging near by. Doable drive from the Boston area.

The instruction was excellent. The instructor ("Cav") was a recent retiree from a regional SWAT team, definitely knew his shit, took his job very seriously but was completely down to earth and had a good sense of humor.

Police Rifle and Pistol is nothing earth shattering but it's not supposed to be. It was a solid intermediate class and Cav dialed it up when he was comfortable with the skill level and incorporated a lot of timed competitive stuff. Definitely exposed how rusty I have let myself get.

Sig products were pushed a bit but not at all aggressively. Like "this is what we sell, we think they're great but no pressure". They don't gouge you either. Good discount at the pro shop, ammo was very reasonably priced, the classes were $250 a day which I don't think is out of line at all for what you're getting and there was either a 10 or 20% discount for subsequent classes in the same week.

I've trained a few places, I was quite happy with Sig and I will be back again on my own time and my own dime.

JRude

Amateur
I have taken their master rifle instructor course twice, because they do it at our house during a particular time of year. Both times Steve Gilcreast and Scott Reidy were the two instructors, and both times it was one of the best courses I have had. I'll take it every year they let me take it, even if it is the same course. Of about 15 students (department instructors) usually only four or five pass.

Darth Tater

They come down to us for a closed instructor development (master pistol/rifle) course annually. I was impressed that their instructors demo every drill prior to expecting students to shoot it to standard, and they do it with Glocks because it's what we use. I haven't gotten to sit through the class yet, but I've been exposed to their methodology and standards and have appreciated them.

SundayMoney

This month will make my third trip to Sig Sauer Academy. Each time a positive experience, my only question was the high student to instructor ratio (17:1) in the Master Pistol Instructor course that I attended this past June, I thought that was a bit much; however, Steve Gilcreast is a top-notch trainer and did a great job managing seventeen personalities.

My other experience(s) attending courses with Chris Cavallero, Todd Moriarty, and Nick Brazeau as Instructors were all excellent. I have written comprehensive Course Reviews on the trips I have taken there and will see if I can post links to them here in the forums and in the P&S Training Facebook group as well.

Gilevi

Amateur
Taken 5 different courses up there over the years. Always been a great time, with awesome instructors. They will lend you anything you need for free, and the courses are decently priced.