Should You Pull Out? (Needle Decompression)

Max D

Corvus Training Group
SHOULD YOU PULL OUT? NEEDLE DECOMPRESSION QUESTION.
Source: http://www.traumamonkeys.com/home/needled

Their seems to be a debate over whether or not to leave the catheter in place or remove it after performing a Needle Thoracentesis (needle decompression). The Committee on Tactical combat Casualty Care (CoTCCC) doesn't discuss this in their recommendations, they only specify decompression landmarks. Typically the units Senior Medical Officer determines the protocols and will set the policy on the procedure. Having taught TCCC / TECC to thousands of students over the past ten years or so and I would estimate that most medics remove the catheter upon relief of symptoms. Does that mean leaving the catheter in place is wrong? No it does not, often in tactical medicine it's not about right or wrong, it's about "what's the most appropriate thing to do right now, based on the current situation".

Before we discuss the pros and cons of both options, lets be clear on what's is most important. ATension Pneumothorax is a life threatening condition that requires immediate relief any discussion over the disposition of the catheter is really spitting hairs. Tension Pneumothorax continues to be the #2 cause of preventable death in combat trauma, despite the military wide acceptance of TCCC /TECC and the fact that all medics and many non-medics are provided a 14 gauge needle as well as authorization to decompress. Needle Thoracentesis is a life saving intervention but it's not typically considered a treatment, it is considered to be a diagnostic tool and a stop-gap intervention as it does not treat the underlying injury.

LEAVING THE CATHETER IN PLACE
PROS
  • Easy to identify that the patient may have had a Tension Pneumothorax and that a decompression was performed and may alert new providers to be on the lookout for return of symptoms.
  • Easy to identify which side has been decompression was attempted on.
  • Easy to determine how many times a decompression has been attempted based on the number of catheters left in place.
CONS
  • Believing that it will continue to work and allow air to escape, it typically kinks and clogs and doesn't prevent the need for subsequent decompressions. If providers make this assumption they could potentially miss the return of symptoms.
  • Increased risk of infection.
  • If removed carefully it could potentially be used multiple times, keeping in mind that non-medics typically don't carry multiple needles. Using your only catheter once would require a non-medic to have to do subsequent decompressions with only a needle, thus increasing patient risk.
MONKEY OPINION SECTION:

Committees, agencies, states, rules and regulations aside here my personal opinion on the disposition of the catheter:

I remove it after I see relief of symptoms, typically after about 45 seconds and a few good breathes coupled with some manual pressure on the patients chest. That is the way I was originally taught how to do it and that's what I have stuck with, however I see nothing wrong with leaving it in place if that's what you so choose. Truthfully the disposition of the catheter is of very little consequence to me, what I'm much more concerned about is recognition of the symptoms and the life saving intervention. Tension Pneumothorax is the second leading cause of preventable combat death.1 Almost everyone is trained and provided a 14 gauge needle and we still have folks dying from a preventable injury. Why?

Why does this continue to kill patients?

Here is why I believe it continues to occur and how to solve the issue:

During training it's a simple catch, especially after a 45 minute Powerpoint on Respirations or when standing over a mannequin with latex cutouts inserted over the landmarks. Amped up, in real world emergency with a multi system trauma victim it's not always so obvious. I will put a list of the twenty or so signs & symptoms down below and I'm sure most of our readers are familiar with them, however some of them are not as common as we have been led to believe. A Tension Pneomothrax is a progressive respiratory disease. Patients are not going to initially present with a dozen symptoms, they will typically have one or two and if untreated, those symptoms will progress and it's likely more symptoms will present. Evidence suggests that patients have progressive respiratory deterioration with final respiratory arrest. The key to interpreting the early signs of hypoxia and respiratory distress is the degree of severity, but more importantly a pattern of relentless progression in a patient at risk of tension pneumothorax.4

Another important distinction to point out here is that most military medics are not carrying O2, administering O2 will have a profound impact on cyanosis, SpO2, and neurological function. Oxygen obviously benefits the patient but it does not treat the underlying problem and can mask symptoms.

- Problem -

1. Not recognizing the patient has developed a Tension Pneumothorax.
  2. Not willing to insert a 3.25" needle into a patients chest.

- Solution -

Train everyone, medics included to treat patients based on what is in an Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK), not what is in a robust medical bag. A standard IFAK should have a Tourniquet, a Nasopharyngeal airway, gauze, pressure dressing, chest seals, and a 14 gauge needle. If you are treating a patient and he/she is in progressive respiratory distress, look in your IFAK and see what hasn't been utilized. If there is still a needle in the kit, then that should be your clue. If you haven't utilized your chest seals, then that should be the prompt to double-check for any holes that need to be sealed up, remembering to seal all holes regardless of size from the navel to the neck 360 degrees. A Tension Pneumothorax is an absolute life threatening conditions and if you have tried all other treatment options (recheck for holes, re-position), then it's probably time to dart.

To overcome the issue of not wanting to go Pulp Fiction and stick someone with an excalibur sized needle through the proverbial breastplate we need to continue to stress in training that an Needle Decompression is safe when performed correctly. Teach the right technique and the right location and emphasize the minimal risks associated with the procedure.

Max D

Corvus Training Group
I was always taught to leave the catheter in place and have always done so in real patients. I remember taking a course and being told that the catheter would lacerate the lung as it expanded. As a demonstration the instructor used the tip of the needle to scratch up the aluminum wrapper of a chest seal. I was unconvinced since I don't leave the needle inside the catheter. I doubt that a teflon catheter would cause any significant damage to the lung tissue (although I don't know that to be true).

I've brought in patients with three or four orange catheter hubs poking out of their chest.

A910

Honestly I've never thought about removing the cath. Ever. If there was a needle still in the cath I would consider it but quite honestly if that were the case, I'd be more likely to ram the shaft of my pen into their chest with a flutter valve than leave a shank in their chest cavity. Because you know, thought process.

As far as training on IFAK's and Decompression Needles I absolutely agree 100%. It's not a hard skill to learn, nor is it difficult to understand the signs of a tension pneumo. I've even heard of services that have protocols in place for preventative care - All major thorasic trauma gets the old chest spear. Regardless of signs of pneumo.

What blows my mind even more is how needle decompression is considered an ALS skill and not a BLS skill. I swear basic EMT's are looked at like children who are to be kept away from anything sharp. Surprised they haven't mandated them to carry some sort of plastic safety shears instead of the standard shears. Maybe that'll be in the 2020 NREMT skills update for BLS providers: Mandatory football helmets to be worn at all times, no more shears and crayons as writing utensils.

Max D

Corvus Training Group
The ALS nature of the skill, in my understanding, comes from the invasive nature of the procedure. Most of the time, if you are administering something (other than PO) or inserting something, it's going to be an ALS skill. I don't agree with this approach, but it keeps the liability down when you employ the lowest common denominator. I believe that there should be an established pathway for well-trained personnel to legally have this in their toolbox. I say personnel because I'm not limiting it to medical providers. Anyone working in a potentially high-risk environment should know this. LEO's come readily to mind.

There is a robust conversation taking place in the Combat Medic group on Facebook regarding this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/combatmedic/permalink/1104638606228329/

Some of the ideas we've extracted are:

When you are working out of a single IFAK with a single needle available, it may be wise to conserve resources by reusing the same needle. When doing so, insert the needle appropriately, wait for relative alleviation of S/S, withdraw the needle and re-cap it for later. Document.

We also talked about antimicrobial therapy in chest trauma. The literature indicates that ABX should be started a soon as possible after wounding with a deadline of three hours. This is reflected in the TCCC guidelines.

I'm going to look for an EM:RAP segment talking about the location of the 5th intercostal space and how medical providers commonly get it wrong. I'll post it up here as well.

ETA: https://www.emrap.org/episode/2015/february/paperchase03?emrap=flc9f2aahlja67fbvv1v3fvie0

TomF

I've brought in patients with three or four orange catheter hubs poking out of their chest.

Glad you mentioned this, I was going to ask. How often did you have to decompress more than once? How long was the PT in your care during the multiple sticks? GSW the primary cause of the injuries or something else?

Max D

Corvus Training Group
Most of the guys with penetrating chest trauma in my AO were hit by secondary blast type stuff. So it wasn't uncommon to see multiple holes. The longest transport I did was around 45 minutes with three catheterizations, the shortest I did with two catheterizations was 15 minutes. I haven't been able to correlate a specific type of injury pattern, severity, or types of interventions done before I arrived with the patients tendency to develop progressive respiratory distress. Some folks just seem to do better than others.

Max D

Corvus Training Group
Most of these guys were done mid-clavicular, mostly due to convenience of resuscitation. I've never had trouble penetrating into the pleural space with alleviation of symptoms. But also take into account that a lot of my patient population were skinny indigenous folks.

TomF

Max D,

Where are you sticking folks with multiple catheters? Proximal or different sites?

FWIW, our med director recommends mid clavicular and using your current hub as a perfect landmark for your second, and third, and...

I've only done a live one in an ER setting where a chest tube was coming shortly after, but he's done a bunch in the field and has no problem with patients coming in with a cluster of them.

Max D

Corvus Training Group
Most of what I've read tends to lean in the same direction. I'd like to get in the habit of doing decompressions in the axilla. The path of least resistance always seemed to point towards the midclavicular, whether because of training, lack of space to move the arm out of the way, trauma to the axilla, etc.

I strongly recommend leaving the catheter in until you have 1) a definitive airway established and 2) a WORKING tube thoracostomy in place (I cannot emphasize WORKING too strongly). Remember that needle decompression is NOT definitive treatment for a tension pneumo, it's only a temporizing measure. The underlying pathophysiology is unchanged, and the tension pneumo can re-inflate in short order... and then you're back to Square One. Which is a bitch if you've just thrown away your last 11-gauge angiocath 'cause you thought the patient was "better".

A partially relieved tension pneumo can deceive you... a guy who was cyanotic with a RR of 60/min looks a LOT better when his SpO2 comes up to 85% and his respiratory rate comes down to 30/min, but he's still a loooooong way from normal, and he can go back to the Land of Suck pronto. If you leave the catheter in place it can keep a slow leak out of the pleural space indefinitely, provided he's not bleeding into the chest as well.

Anatomic location of your needle stick should be based on the patient's position. Air rises, water falls... go for the spot farthest from the ground. If you've got him in the usual medical delivery position (supine), 2nd interspace midclavicular line makes the most sense. But if you're under fire and the only way you can keep him safely positioned is in right lateral decubitus position, then your site needs to in the left mid-axillary line. And so on. When you think anatomically/physiologically rather than just doing what the book says, it's simple.