Should I try to save?

RRK3

My dad has turned into a FUD should I try to save him?
First he is 70. He is a Marine Vietnam Combat vet and got called back to the flag for Desert Storm. Sadly though he nearly discounts any other experience after his including Moderators of Primary and Secondary who have way more experience than him. including mine (what little I have is on the LE side as a support member of the SWAT team.
We recently butted heads pretty bad about guns and what to use and not use and what to buy not buy.
In saying all of this he will ask what he should get I recommend stuff and he ignores because other things "work for him." I told him the other day "if he wants a cannon I will get try to get him a cannon." Am I doing the right thing by just letting him go or should I cause tension and try and bring him around.

Thanks.

Kain

Yes, no, maybe? It one of those things that it can be hard to say and without knowing him it hard for others to give a definitive answer. I mean, is he just living behind the times? Well okay, then there are ways to push him to help him see the light and get him to advance. I mean if he is stuck on irons on pistols and doesn't think a RDS is any advantage I might just leave it. If he is preaching to shoot at shadows in the house if he hears something moving then we has bigger problems. If his views and desires of what he wants to buy differ, unless he is either screaming ban ARs and "high cap" clips and don't touch my deer rifle, I'd likely be inclined to just live and let live. I mean, my old man still likes his wheel guns, and if it ain't steel it ain't worth a damn. But, he also has long since realized I'm not going to listen as far as carry guns go and run my glock. So, I guess the short answer is it depends on a ton of factors. That said, I wouldn't write someone off unless they are flaming anti gun. Even a fudd can be useful for the cause as it were for gun rights.

Gypsy EDC

My experience with my dad (Vietnam era big green) has convinced me that butting heads with a 60-70 yo father over CCW options and training classes is counter productive.

Enjoy your remaining time together discussing and doing things together you both have a passion for. I don't see myself regretting that I couldn't convince him of something I think is important, my only regret will be we didn't have more time together

RRK3

Thanks all, I am going to take the easy way and enjoy our time left and while there will be constant disagreement I am just going to let him win (let the Wookie win). Unless it is unsafe which he is not then he can do as he will.

shoobe01

Established
You got it at the end of the last post. Unsafe, around me or the kids, is the only one worth fighting about.

Now, I am not sure I could agree with him. Might just try to say that it's a disallowed topic, like religion or politics instead.

Sonofstate

I convinced my dad to join me at a local outlaw action pistol match. He had a great time and still wants to carry his P227 but at least now he realizes he needs training.

After age 70 you need to meet him ware he is. If you want to agree on something get a muzzleloader kit you can work on together go shoot it and feel blessed we live it the time we do with self contained metallic cartridges. Take some pictures make some memories. Hang it on the wall when you are done and maybe take your kids out with it one day. I have an old grainy flip phone video of my old man shooting this blunderbuss repo and one day my kids will get to shoot it too. Also if there is a part of you that still wants to expose your pops to modern stuff give him a full auto m4 styled BB or air soft gun they run about $100.00 and are allot of fun. Put a cheap air soft red dot on it and he is in. Call it a gag gift if you want but they are fun you can have in the garage.

Attachments

• 1837614D-1EBF-4E4F-A896-7E16E57309FC.jpeg
    1837614D-1EBF-4E4F-A896-7E16E57309FC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

gskip33

Whatever he wants, help him learn to use it effectively.

If he wants a cannon, then get that boy some grapeshot.

If he wants a shotgun, then get him some #4 buck or whatever is light recoiling that an old man can shoot.

Set him up for success, even if he is refusing to modernize.

Grizzly

My experience with my dad (Vietnam era big green) has convinced me that butting heads with a 60-70 yo father over CCW options and training classes is counter productive.

Enjoy your remaining time together discussing and doing things together you both have a passion for. I don't see myself regretting that I couldn't convince him of something I think is important, my only regret will be we didn't have more time together
Yep, enjoy your time with him and the fact you share a hobby like shooting. Even if you don't agree on everything. My dad died early on and I'd love to some time back even if it was just to play a game of checkers and argue over 9mm vs .45.