Shotgun LPVO

Chriscanbreach

Established
Has it been tried? Does it work?

4FF51B1B-29DD-4771-BC1B-BF405FFE16EC.jpegI ask because it seems to make as much sense as mounting one on a 10.5” carbine as a posed to a red dot.

Thoughts.

hile

Amateur
Honestly something I'd never have thought of. Would that beat the everliving snot out of the optic (like, say, putting a cheap optic on a SCAR heavy)?

tylerw02

It’s not uncommon to see 3X scopes on turkey guns. Problem can be mounting and holding zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLL2013

If you could get a 1-4x in say a 6inch long package with 1x like the Razor 1-6x and light weight, it would be tempting.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
A 1-4x or 1-6x FFP scope with a good true 1x low end wouldn’t be bad, as long as it can survive the recoil. Keep it on 1x for buckshot and save the magnification for slugs...I’m not much of a shotgun guy so I hope I’ll be corrected if I’m wrong but I don’t see any detriments to a gauge with a quality LPVO any more so than a SBR/pistol with one as your original comparison states

Chriscanbreach

Established
So, After listening to the Non Standard Defensive Weapons modest and later talking to @nyeti I thought about being limited to certain weapons. The limitation to the type of weapon can in some instances limit our ability to enhance them with certain enablers, but it shouldn't.

If your only option was a shotgun or a lever gun why wouldn't you want the advantage various enablers give you? LPVO assuming it survives on a shot gun gives the same advantage of information gathering it does on a rifle. Its purpose may not be to shoot while magnified but the need for the information it provides doesn't change.

Weapon lights should be considered and adapted on all platforms.

I for one would love to see the work you could do with a 45-70 lever gun equipped with an LPVO, MAWL, and OKW head.

I think the only FUDD way to look at is to say "it good enough just keeping it stock"

pointblank4445

Established
Considerations:
Will the weight penalize you? With a Benelli M1 or 2 that weight would be enough to dick up the recoil/cycling of the gun. For you guys rocking Berettas, will that throw off the balance of your light weight 1301?

Again...cheek weld. I guarantee with several shotgun stocks and without putting it super low to the gun, most will be slow as fuck in that optic. I defer to my earlier sentiments of having a "chinweld".

And can your optic take it? A lot of dudes out there making compromises on their optics. It may hold up on a AR...but on something with some thump, it might be a problem.

tylerw02

Considerations:
Will the weight penalize you? With a Benelli M1 or 2 that weight would be enough to dick up the recoil/cycling of the gun. For you guys rocking Berettas, will that throw off the balance of your light weight 1301?

Again...cheek weld. I guarantee with several shotgun stocks and without putting it super low to the gun, most will be slow as fuck in that optic. I defer to my earlier sentiments of having a "chinweld".

And can your optic take it? A lot of dudes out there making compromises on their optics. It may hold up on a AR...but on something with some thump, it might be a problem.

I’ve seen more than a few Benelli shotguns and Remington shotguns with cheap fixed 3x and 4x shotgun scopes.

pointblank4445

Established
I’ve seen more than a few Benelli shotguns and Remington shotguns with cheap fixed 3x and 4x shotgun scopes.

Well...Remi's aren't inertia like the M1 or M2...

Don't know of too many deer guns where low-velocity is desired and aren't magnums more the go-to in turkey guns?

And a mere 15oz? optic alone...probably not going to matter with those large payload rounds. If you want to add a Razor HD 2 E, light, side saddle and all the other tacticool goodies to an M1S90 with tactical rounds for that AR alternative...

tylerw02

Well...Remi's aren't inertia like the M1 or M2...

Don't know of too many deer guns where low-velocity is desired and aren't magnums more the go-to in turkey guns?

And a mere 15oz? optic alone...probably not going to matter with those large payload rounds. If you want to add a Razor HD 2 E, light, side saddle and all the other tacticool goodies to an M1S90 with tactical rounds for that AR alternative...

SBE IIs are inertia-driven.

Yeah razor may be a bit much but that’s in the heavy-end. I can’t say for sure. I haven’t seen it be a problem. Have you or are you speculating?

I can see the “chin-weld” being a problem though it could be remedied. I’ve personally never had a desire but in the part of the country I’m in, its not uncommon in hunting guns.

tylerw02

The more I think about the function of a Benelli shotgun, adding an optic or a side saddle would NOT affect the system at all as they are added to the receiver which is fixed. The only part moving due to inertia is the bolt. In fact, more weight anywhere besides the action system would make the gun MORE reliable. Benelli shotguns tend to fail with poor shoulder placement or holding the but away from your body, ala limp-wristing a Glock.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
We ran M1’s hard with the extended tube, six on the side-saddle, five on the butt stock and a SF fore end. The weight doesn't effect it. It’s like 18 slugs on that gun