Shotgun Ammunition Carriage Findings

I found out quite the hard way that a Tacstar Remington 870 sidesaddle is not built to last. Started a year ago with it becoming temporarily FUBAR (small diameter screws attaching shellholder to aluminum mount plate all failing simultaneously and scattering across the Mojave, had to get new screws mailed to me), now permanently (stripped threads on aluminum mount plate making front attachment screw unsecurable). It was acquired years before I knew better.

Facebook response
  • Velcro shotshell cards are a good option
  • Mesa Tactical sidesaddles are also a decent option but the Chicago screws are a possible shear point along with unreliable neoprene rubber retention system that might need replacement
  • Velcro shotshell cards can be stacked inside AR15 magazine carriage systems or pocket carried
  • Aridus Industries Q-DC is a great rigid metal alternative to Velcro shotshell cards that allow for consistent, repeatable indexing.

The Aridus did not fit the budget I had available, but the Velcro shotshell cards I bought have held up great so far.

Might still switch to the Aridus in the future.

JUDAN

I found out quite the hard way that a Tacstar Remington 870 sidesaddle is not built to last. Started a year ago with it becoming temporarily FUBAR (small diameter screws attaching shellholder to aluminum mount plate all failing simultaneously and scattering across the Mojave, had to get new screws mailed to me), now permanently (stripped threads on aluminum mount plate making front attachment screw unsecurable). It was acquired years before I knew better.

Facebook response
  • Velcro shotshell cards are a good option
  • Mesa Tactical sidesaddles are also a decent option but the Chicago screws are a possible shear point along with unreliable neoprene rubber retention system that might need replacement
  • Velcro shotshell cards can be stacked inside AR15 magazine carriage systems or pocket carried
  • Aridus Industries Q-DC is a great rigid metal alternative to Velcro shotshell cards that allow for consistent, repeatable indexing.

The Aridus did not fit the budget I had available, but the Velcro shotshell cards I bought have held up great so far.

Might still switch to the Aridus in the future.

I recently took out my velcro cards and realized they only hold magnum shells if that under heavy fire. I was picking rounds up off the ground...

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
I recently took out my velcro cards and realized they only hold magnum shells if that under heavy fire. I was picking rounds up off the ground...

Not all Velcro cards are created equal; try to find some that fit 12ga and 20ga, and you shouldn't lose shells under recoil anymore.

- Jake

N

nate89

I agree. I have used cards with less than ideal elastic and it turned into shells falling all over. Not to brown-nose Ares too bad, but I threw one of their cards into the cart the last time I ordered a belt to try it out, and never had any problems with shell retention.

Mike_IA

Anyone played around with 3gun style holders to mount on a plate carrier? I would only need to carry 6 in the gun plus 8-10 on the carrier. The gun is an 870 or mossberg 590 12ga using only 1 type of shell.

Agree with Tater. EZ8 is the only option for a secure 3gun belt mounted option. Loading doubles and quads is doable with some practice. Shotgun cards are alright with the right option. ESSTAC seems to be GTG after they did some revamping of the stitching and elastic material. Aridus is obviously going to be a better option but like you mentioned, cost is the limiting factor with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartan117

Amateur
I used to run the Mesa Tac 8 shell carrier on my 870 but as mentioned I suffered the sheered screw one day at the range. CS replaced the parts immediately and even sent me a free shirt but there's also the issue with the elastomer inside not allowing you to leave it loaded. Sold it and picked up three of the Midway USA propietary velcro cards that hold 7 shells for only $7 each. I've owned them for two years now and used them at a couple of 3gun matches. I keep them fully loaded at home and have yet to lose a shell while running a course. For the money they just can't be beat!

Cgarcia

Anyone know if SKD cards come with the part that attaches to the gun also, or is it just the card?
The SKD cards do not include the loop/female velcro backing, pick it up at your local hardware store. Be sure to degrease the receiver prior to applying the loop backing.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
Dumb question but how do i do that.... I've put on sidesaddles before, not velcro.

Well, it's either a "peel-and-stick", where you peel the plastic backing off the adhesive Velcro, or it's not, in which case you'll smear some epoxy on the back of the Velcro before clamping it to the side of the receiver.

Or were you asking how to degrease the shotgun? Wipe the side where you want to stick the Velcro with alcohol, acetone, nail polish remover, etc. Then don't touch it with your skin until you've stuck the panel on. (Your skin has oils.)

Cgarcia

Well, it's either a "peel-and-stick", where you peel the plastic backing off the adhesive Velcro, or it's not, in which case you'll smear some epoxy on the back of the Velcro before clamping it to the side of the receiver.

Or were you asking how to degrease the shotgun? Wipe the side where you want to stick the Velcro with alcohol, acetone, nail polish remover, etc. Then don't touch it with your skin until you've stuck the panel on. (Your skin has oils.)

Thanks for covering that, I should have clarified my response better.

I'm partial to the Aridus Industries QDC saddles. Its nice to have them in a class and run them like magazines. Like the velcro ones, I can interchange the carriers between my 870 and 1301. The individual leaf spring design for each shell is genius and cuts down on the "shells falling out during recoil" phenomenon.

Ryan St.Jean

TACSTAR is the Keltech of firearms accessories. Pay a bit more and get something that works.

I have used HSGI cards and like them. In my opinion they are up to any civilian or LEO and most military tasks. Eventually I’m sure they wear out, all things do.

I have used cards on a piece of Velcro on the receiver (same spot a sidesaddle would go). The cards are nice. Shoot one empty, pull it off and slap a new one on.

Why magnum (3”?) shells? For defensive/ duty use the cons of that typically outweigh the pros.