Shooting to fast in self defense?

Barry B

No, that was not the podcast. I remember that show, Chuck was talking cognitive ability, and how people process the information. The show I listened to, the instructor was more talking about shooting to fast from a legal stand point. It came down to shooting the bad guy in the back, if they turned and tried to end the fight. If you are pulling the trigger with out evaluating the scene, you will not "see" the bad guy turn, and an aggressive prosecutor will use that against you. I'm going to go back and try and find it, it was from less then 2 weeks ago

This was discussed in depth at a MAG20 I attended recently, put on by Massad Ayoob. Also, the Force Science Institute discusses in detail human reaction time to expected and unexpected stimulus. The bottom line is even with 1 shot, you can be facing an assailant and decide to fire, while at the almost exact same instant they could turn to flee, and your 1 shot could stroke rear of the centerline of the body. Resulting a "he shot him in the back" kneejerk reaction. Science and expert witnesses can speak to this on the stand. Just hope you never have need of such testimony.

Barry

Fatboy

Established
Would this be any different than automatic gunfire?

I would say its different simply because multiple trigger squeezes generally require multiple sight pictures to accurately hit the target. Full auto fire is one sight picture with one trigger squeeze resulting in bullets as long as you hold on, regardless of where the sights move to.

That's not to say short range accuracy with a F/A gun is impossible. It takes training and knowledge to know the distance where the accuracy wheels fall off. And that will vary person to person.

pointblank4445

Established
No, that was not the podcast. I remember that show, Chuck was talking cognitive ability, and how people process the information. The show I listened to, the instructor was more talking about shooting to fast from a legal stand point. It came down to shooting the bad guy in the back, if they turned and tried to end the fight. If you are pulling the trigger with out evaluating the scene, you will not "see" the bad guy turn, and an aggressive prosecutor will use that against you. I'm going to go back and try and find it, it was from less then 2 weeks ago

Whatever man. I know what I listen to and was paraphrasing. Don’t know what else to say...

Deuces