Shooter Symposium 2020!

0uTkAsT

Amateur
It's such a unique event and I was pretty upset I wasn't able to make it this year. I'm definitely going to try again next year, but my job makes it impossible for me to plan things this far in advance.

Frosty_Bear

I don't know if I will be able to go until that spring when I get my syllabi. It sucks since the payment plan is a nice option.

I’m going back and forth on signing up. I have zero formal training and figured it would be the best place to start, but I also get the feeling that I’d be in way over my head. Thoughts from you guys?

Nomad1

I’m going back and forth on signing up. I have zero formal training and figured it would be the best place to start, but I also get the feeling that I’d be in way over my head. Thoughts from you guys?
One of the best ways to get into it is to just jump into the deep end! If you can attend the event, I highly suggest you do. You have plenty of time between now and then to get at least one other class in so that way you're not 100% fresh by the symposium.

One of the best ways to get into it is to just jump into the deep end! If you can attend the event, I highly suggest you do. You have plenty of time between now and then to get at least one other class in so that way you're not 100% fresh by the symposium.

Going to register next week. Hopefully there’s still a spot left. Been looking at local classes to see if I find something I can take beforehand. I guess we all have to start somewhere and the symposium would be a better start than most people get.

jonny4523

A buddy and I plan on going, although it's going to be a crazy long drive. I keep going back and forth on which class schedule to pick though. Feels like college registrar all over. Anyone know how easy it is to change classes later if indecision gets the best of me?

I went this year- my opinion is that it is a great way to get instruction from a variety of instructors and can also tell you if you want to take more courses in the future with the instructor. The other students I was in class with were cordial and there to really learn things. They have also switched up the format this year so that instructors are not necessarily presenting the same course each day. I am probably a below average shooter and felt comfortably pushed in the classes I was in. I would sign up for it and take one or two basic pistol classes beforehand to shake out your gear and get tuned up for the symposium.

jonny4523

I went this year- my opinion is that it is a great way to get instruction from a variety of instructors and can also tell you if you want to take more courses in the future with the instructor. The other students I was in class with were cordial and there to really learn things. They have also switched up the format this year so that instructors are not necessarily presenting the same course each day. I am probably a below average shooter and felt comfortably pushed in the classes I was in. I would sign up for it and take one or two basic pistol classes beforehand to shake out your gear and get tuned up for the symposium.

Which classes did you take this year?

Force Focus Fundamentals (Cowan sp?), Combatives Class (Grappling in a Weapons-Based Environment)- Craig Douglas, and Mike Pannone. It was amazing for someone with my very basic shooting background.

Jreagan

The Ranch is an amazing facility. Shockey and company do a great job making everyone feel welcome, hosting a fantastic event, and just don't right being awesome. Shooter Symposium is a fast way to acquire specific knowledge groups and network with other folks. After hours at Shooter Symposium is what everyone things Shot Show is like. You get to hang out with the instructors, students, and usually the vendors. I recommend it to every class I teach.