Shadow systems MR918 Elite

Last week, I was fortunate to acquire a Shadow Systems Elite MR918 (https://shadowsystemscorp.com/product/mr918-elite/ ) from Bass Pro, which is selling it for $100 less than the Shadow Systems’ own website. With taxes, it came to $1039. It is an expensive pistol but is completely worth the price. I have no financial conflicts of interest with this company.

Slide2.JPG

The MR918 comes out of the box with these features:
Polymer lower:
-It is already stippled on the sides, back, and front of the grip.
-The texture is better than an OEM Glock and is very grippy without being abrasive.
-It has double undercuts under the trigger guard and comes with a polymer magwell.
-The pistol has three backstraps that changes the angle to your point of aim. I have installed the smallest backstrap which makes the angle like a 1911 grip. The polymer feels solid and mates perfectly with the slide above.
-There is a mild beaver tail that does not interfere with your master grip draw from AIWB.
Upper Slide:
-The machining is very high quality with angled serrations on the front, top, and back. The serrations are directional, in that they are sharper when you pull from front to back but smooth if your hands move from back to front.
-There is a very small window cut on the side that lightens the slide but is not too large
-Ameriglo metal sights are pre-installed, with green bright tritium front and black serrated plain rear.
-RMR cut and cap included. The depth of the RMR cut is deeper than any of my other milled slides. My RMR9 Type 2 does not move at all on the higher posts. Photos below show the depth to which my RMR sits compared to my other slides. The MR918 optic cut allows the RMR to sit low enough so that suppressor BUIS are not needed (save money). The left thread (on the non-ejection side) is cut deeper than the right thread and they include a longer torx screw for it.
-Included on the Elite model is a spiral fluted threaded barrel that locks up very tightly to the slide. The barrel is a bronze/gold color.

The pistol comes with two magpul 15 round magazines and a black nylon pistol case in a cardboard box.

I replaced two parts on the MR918. When I bought the MR918 from Bass Pro, the trigger and the Slide lock lever. I could not evaluate the trigger because of their refusal to remove the trigger guard lock. Evaluating the pistol at home, I realized that the trigger required immediate remediation before use.

The OEM trigger of the MR918 is an aluminum flat faced trigger with a 4-4.5 lb pull. This was not the issue. What was problematic was the tendency of the trigger to lock unless your finger pad is placed exactly flat on the safety hinge. Any other variation (finger rides high or finger curved around the trigger rather than flat), and the trigger tends to lock.

In the photo, you can see that there is a long vertical face on the MR918 trigger before the safety hinge is reached. Compare that to the Overwatch Trigger (OT), in which the vertical face is much shorter.

In classes where I have done close retention shooting (shooting during grappling or high pectoral index shooting), my index finger can ride high on the trigger face depending on my body position while drawing the pistol. I wear a small glove and the width of my index finger is 15.3 mm. If I ride high on the MR918 trigger, then I cannot activate the safety hinge and the trigger locks as it should. If I ride high on the OT, then part of my finger can still depress the safety hinge and the pistol will fire. If I curl my finger around the trigger and am not exactly flat on the safety hinge, then the MR918 will not fire. This is unacceptable.

On one hand, this makes the pistol safer in that your finger must be placed a specific way for the trigger to activate. On the other hand, this makes the pistol useless in close quarters shooting if you are wrestling with an opponent and cannot place your finger on the trigger in a certain way. My VP9 trigger is the same way. It has a tall vertical face before the safety hinge is reached and the trigger locks in close retention shooting. I have relegated my VP9 to the safe and do not carry it.

I would still purchase the MR918 knowing that the trigger needs to be replaced. If you have larger fingers, then perhaps you may still be able to activate the safety hinge. I don’t know. I do know that for shooters with smaller hands, the trigger will be an issue.

Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I will post a follow up when I have at least 500 rounds through it. Slide4.JPGSlide3.JPGSlide8.JPGSlide10.JPGSlide11.JPG

Photo clarification of triggers:
LEFT PHOTO (FDE Glock frame) shows the OEM trigger from the MR918 removed and installed on a Gen4 frame.
RIGHT PHOTO shows an Overwatch Precision trigger installed in the MR918 as the replacement.

LandToSea

Photo clarification of triggers:
LEFT PHOTO (FDE Glock frame) shows the OEM trigger from the MR918 removed and installed on a Gen4 frame.
RIGHT PHOTO shows an Overwatch Precision trigger installed in the MR918 as the replacement.
Any follow up to add here?

This is an update on my Shadow Systems MR918 (SSM) pistol

I have had the SSM for seven months now and it is my daily carry (AIWB in Tier 1 Concealment or PHLster Floodlight holster). Changes to the OEM configuration have included:
1. Overwatch Precision DAT Trigger
2. ZEV proV2 compensator
3. RMR 09 1 MOA

Round count is approximately 2500 of 124 grain FMJ and about 200 Federal HST. I have used it in several classes with the most recent one being Aaron Cowan's Vehicle Defense class. I have 100% confidence in the SSM but new buyers should know that there is a break in period if you plan on attaching a compensator. Without a compensator, the SSM is flawless and shoots accurately. It is well balanced and the slide is noticeably lighter than your Glock OEM slide. The RMR fit is perfect and has a tight tolerance. The ergonomics are superior to OEM Gen 4 or Gen 5 Glock 19s and the included magwell works well without being too obtrusive. It works well with the Surefire X300B.

With the compensator, there is an adjustment period. Initially, there were multiple failure to feeds and stove pipe malfunctions. These occurred almost every round. I took off the compensator and the pistol shot fine. I do not know whether these malfunctions were unique to the ZEV compensator design or would have occurred with any compensator. Nevertheless, I shot several hundred rounds through it without the compensator and there were no issues. My hypothesis is that the slide is so much lighter, and the ZEV compensated so well, that there was not sufficient reciprocal mass to strip rounds and cycle the pistol.

After shooting a couple hundred rounds without the compensator, I decided to reinstall the ZEV and use a 13 pound recoil spring. To my pleasant surprise, there were no further malfunctions since. The ZEV has stayed on ever since and the SSM shoots like a dream.

This break in period for their slides with compensators seems to be common with Shadow Systems in general. I was so impressed with their slide machining, especially their RMR fits, that I purchased two additional slide uppers to put on Glock Gen4 lowers (G19, G17). https://shadowsystemscorp.com/product/lft-slide-for-glock-g17-9mm/ The quality of their machining is excellent and there is great value in their features (for comparison, i have had slides machined with ATEI and MAC defense).

Both of their slides required break in periods of about 100-200 rounds before they would work with compensators (using CMC and Blacklist barrels). By themselves without compensators, the slides worked flawlessly.

On a side note, I have tried three compensator designs. The Agency Arms 417, the TRBCI comp (no longer available), and the ZEV. Of the three, I like the ZEV V2 best because it attaches the easiest. The set screws of the ZEV tightens the comp to itself and the screws do not touch the barrel. In terms of recoil mitigation, it is also slightly better than the 417 and TBRCI. There was an article in 2018 that compared different compensators that is worth reading. https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/blog/2018-king-pistol-comps-glock-compensator-review/

FINAL THOUGHTS:
Would I buy it again? Absolutely. It is my daily carry. I would also recommend their slide uppers highly. Please remember that both the SSM and the separate slide uppers had no issues without the compensators. However, if you wish to compensate, then you have to "compensate" with a break in period. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20200105_122729.jpg
    20200105_122729.jpg
    738.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Shadow systems glock 19.jpg
    Shadow systems glock 19.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 26

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Excellent review! You may want to try running 124gr NATO/+P loads through the compensated configurations for better reliability and even more recoil reduction. It’s common with these smaller carry compensators that they tend to like 124gr NATO/+P the most, and if designed properly there will actually be less felt recoil and muzzle flip with the higher pressure loads than standard pressure of the same weight. The comps require higher pressures to work well and putting a little extra oomph into the system will result in better reliability