SF-dbal tape switch mod

I have two older dbal's that do not have the built in illuminator. For the last several years I would just switch out a TLR HL to a TLR IR when I needed IR illumination and run dual tape switches. To say this set up is ineffective is an understatement. So I finally got around to splicing my dbal tail into my SF 300V scout tape switch. While this is still not the best solution it does clean things up a bit and allows me to use equipment I have more efficiently.

So now if the dbal switch is off the tape switch or fire switch on the dbal will activate the 300V. Turn the dbal on to vis and the tape switch or fire switch on the dbal will activate the 300V and vis laser. Same principle applies when I rotate the the head to IR on the 300V.

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG
IMG_0411.JPG
IMG_0412.JPG
IMG_0413.JPG
IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

Old set up vs new set up.

IMG_0401.JPG
IMG_0402.JPG
IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0397.JPG

Unity-Trent

Amateur
Vendor
Thats a cool mod. One I have actually done myself. One word of caution... SF lights do not always use the same switch polarity and / or voltage. So I would be cautious about how the DBAL handles that.

Thats a cool mod. One I have actually done myself. One word of caution... SF lights do not always use the same switch polarity and / or voltage. So I would be cautious about how the DBAL handles that.

I'm glad you said that as I forgot about that. I had one that was and one that was not. I'll make that note on the drawing and update it.

We have seen operating voltages ranging from ~3v-9v under both polarity conditions.
This voltage difference of this much I'm assuming was on a 6volt version?

I would assume that in order to make this work correctly with a 6volt SF to keep from power surveying then 3 volt dbal a person would have to add the proper resistors on the dbal feed to keep the voltage down to 3 volts?

Have you ever seen or done this? It is an option I would like to do to have more white light lumens using the 600v scout light.