Setting up my shotgun

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
I've always loved my shotgun, but I'm only just now getting around to outfitting it the way I want it, but due to budget constraints I'm having to take care of things piecemeal, and would like some input about what order I should look to do things in. It's a Mossberg 500 with a 7 shot tube and a 20" barrel, invade that is relevant. Currently I'm looking at doing the following:
Replacing the bead with ghost ring sights,
Mounting a weapon light (recommendations are appreciated),
And sending the barrel to Vang Comp for their barrel treatment.
I'm not sure what order I should prioritize those in, so any advice will be much appreciated. It is my go to HD gun, and I will hopefully be able to start shooting some 3 gun here shortly, so it will be getting use there too. It already has a sling, a 5 round buttcuff and a 6 round shot card onboard, so I've got carrying and feeding it covered.

MrMurphy

Magpul fore end with SF Fury. Federal Flite Control let's you hold off on Vang for a while. XS ghost rings.

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
Magpul fore end with SF Fury. Federal Flite Control let's you hold off on Vang for a while. XS ghost rings.
Thanks for the recommendation on the light, but my question was what order would you do things in? If I can hold off on Vang, would you do the light or the sights first?

Jake_Disty

Amateur
I am looking at putting a light off the left side of my magpul forearm on my ScatterGun Tech 870. I was gonna see how other guys were setting their lights up first before I did it. I see lots of SF forearms.

MrMurphy

Light first. If you're running FC, get the sights next, then do the barrel. Shotguns are first and foremost close range tools, you can still do good work with a bead, or a Hi Viz snap on fiberoptic bead.

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
Light first. If you're running FC, get the sights next, then do the barrel. Shotguns are first and foremost close range tools, you can still do good work with a bead, or a Hi Viz snap on fiberoptic bead.
Thanks for the advice!

jnc36rcpd

I'd have to consider the TL-Racker Forend light from Streamlight. I think you'll like the ergonomics better than the Surefire Fury mounted to the Magpul. That said, the quality of Surefire and Magpul is usually rock solid and you wouldn't go wrong with that idea.

Erick Gelhaus

Staff member
If you've got the sling, then get the WML, sights after that.

If you are using FC I'm not sure you need or want barrel work - based on seeing its performance in stock 'guns. There was benefit to the Fed H/LE-132 00B and Vang combination.

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
If you've got the sling, then get the WML, sights after that.

If you are using FC I'm not sure you need or want barrel work - based on seeing its performance in stock 'guns. There was benefit to the Fed H/LE-132 00B and Vang combination.
I would be inclined to agree with you on the barrel work, if the sole purpose was home defense, but since I plan to shoot three gun with it, I will be running high volumes of shot, which gets expensive very quickly with FC, so I want to get at least passable performance from relatively cheap shells.

Eggroll43

What Erick said above. If you have the sling taken care of next is getting a light on the thing. I went with a SF foreend that I horse traded for. You can find some of the older models for cheaper and upgrade them with a new bulb like a Cree or Malkoff.

As for shooting 3 gun, go and pattern your gun at various distances to see what kind of pattern that it makes. GO to as far as you would make a shot in your home. If it patterns decently, then you know how it will perform with that specific brand of shells. I'd still spring for the FC but not use it for competition and just have it ready for home use. Either way, you should still pattern your shotgun with both the cheaper shells and with FC to see what they do at various distances.