Selling a Firearm to a Person in California

I've been trying to get this figured out but I'm going blind reading CA regulations.

Here's the situation.

I sold a handgun that is on the CA approved list to an individual in California. I'm a private party, not a FFL. I'm going to ship it to a FFL dealer in CA for the purpose of transfer to this individual.

Does CA law allow a FFL in California to receive a firearm from a non-FFL/private party who is not in California? Or must I use a FFL here (Missouri) to ship it to his FFL in CA?

Thanks for any information.

5150Magnet

Amateur
Provided it's not a Series 70 1911, which I don't know why they're that specific, so long as the pistol is "used" from out of state it can be shipped to an FFL even if you're not an FFL yourself. The CA handgun roster list only applies to brand new pistols sold from an FFL. There are a bunch of non-roster pistols having been sold to CA buyers, but the caveat is that they're used and from people like yourself, non FFLs. I tried buying a used Series 70 from out of state for a good price, but without knowing CA did not allow it to be imported in despite it being used.

You should have the buyer confirm with his FFL if they'll accept it from a non-FFL sender. Some will, some wont. Either way it must be sent via FedEx, UPS or anything similar (not USPS). I'm not sure if there's a requirement if it's next day, second day or even three day, but I don't think they like it going with standard ground.

OK, thanks, that is what I thought, but in light of the most recent CA gun restrictions that went into place in 2019 I was not sure if now it was only possible for CA FFL dealers to receive firearms from other FFL dealers, not from private parties.

CAE5

Provided it's not a Series 70 1911, which I don't know why they're that specific, so long as the pistol is "used" from out of state it can be shipped to an FFL even if you're not an FFL yourself. The CA handgun roster list only applies to brand new pistols sold from an FFL. There are a bunch of non-roster pistols having been sold to CA buyers, but the caveat is that they're used and from people like yourself, non FFLs. I tried buying a used Series 70 from out of state for a good price, but without knowing CA did not allow it to be imported in despite it being used.

You should have the buyer confirm with his FFL if they'll accept it from a non-FFL sender. Some will, some wont. Either way it must be sent via FedEx, UPS or anything similar (not USPS). I'm not sure if there's a requirement if it's next day, second day or even three day, but I don't think they like it going with standard ground.
I disagree, the roster does not apply to transfers of used handguns within California but does apply to out of state transfers into CA except for intrafamilial transfers. Handguns on the roster, not a problem. An individual moving to CA may personally import off roster handguns. It sucks but it is what it is. C&R are also exempt from roster. To the OP, your transfer should not be a problem if the receiving FFL is willing. Some are not.

Last edited:

shoobe01

Established
Ask the receiving FFL. They will know, and care a lot more than you.

As CAE5 said at the end, doesn't matter what the law says, many will go above and beyond and have their own policies. Arguing won't change it, and it's unlikely your buyer will (or even can) go to another.

I have sold to CA and other restrictive places. It just takes a few rounds of emailing or calling the receiving FFL to find /exactly/ what they want to do.

Elite0651

I manage a gun store in CA. As long as the gun in 100% on roster, verify SKU if possible then they should process the sale as a used handgun from their inventory. However to the FFL will most likely require you use an FFL to ship the gun because they have to have the CA CFD verification form in the box.

AvMech1

I disagree, the roster does not apply to transfers of used handguns within California but does apply to out of state transfers into CA except for intrafamilial transfers. Handguns on the roster, not a problem. An individual moving to CA may personally import off roster handguns. It sucks but it is what it is. C&R are also exempt from roster. To the OP, your transfer should not be a problem if the receiving FFL is willing. Some are not.
Are you sure about C&R being roster exempt? I thought they were not.