Secure mounting of Magpul PRS on A5 length buffer tube?

SweDude

I'm building a AR308 and have picked an intermediate length carbine extension, which makes it possible to use an carbine length AR15 buffer with a rifle length spring. I have a new Magpul PRS Gen3, and it seems to lock onto the buffer tube with friction alone, unless you're using a rifle extension (in which case you secure it with a screw from the rear like a normal A1/A2 rifle stock).

Magpul's website states the following:
Magpul said:
Mounts to rifle-length receiver extension tube without A2 spacer but will also accommodate
Mil-Spec sized M4 Carbine and many A5-length tubes with standard Castle Nuts and End Plates

Should I be worried about the PRS coming loose, or is the mounting solution sufficiently sturdy without the rear screw to secure it?

Cris_Magpul

MAGPUL
Staff member
I'm building a AR308 and have picked an intermediate length carbine extension, which makes it possible to use an carbine length AR15 buffer with a rifle length spring. I have a new Magpul PRS Gen3, and it seems to lock onto the buffer tube with friction alone, unless you're using a rifle extension (in which case you secure it with a screw from the rear like a normal A1/A2 rifle stock).

Magpul's website states the following:

Should I be worried about the PRS coming loose, or is the mounting solution sufficiently sturdy without the rear screw to secure it?
No rear screw is required, any in-spec Intermediate/A5 Receiver extension will securely accommodate the PRS Gen 3.