School me on 2011 springs

I’ve been running a 2020 Staccato P (received early 2020) for duty for 6-8 months. Reliability has been excellent, with the exception of some issues locking back on empty. This usually seems to correspond with minimal lube on the slide stop where it rubs on the frame and the detent pin.

During a recent qual, I used my mags I normally carry on duty (a 17 rounder, and two 20 rounders, all black coated). None locked back on empty unless very well lubricated on the area I mentioned.

Upon inspection, there seems to be less tension on these mags than other new ones I received with a 2020 P DUO (received 12/20). I also noticed the top coil on the older, black coated mags were straight, but the silver mags with my more recent model have an upward crook on the top coil. The upward crook, to me, would seem to help push the follower up into the slide lock better, but I don’t really kno

I seem to recall someone on YouTube (maybe Hilton Yam) stating to change them regularly. He may have recommended ISMI springs, which I intend to try out.

can someone school me on best mag springs and practices for a 2011 for duty? Any guidance would be much appreciated!

PM07

Staff member
Check out the P&S 2011 Modcast. It covered springs pretty fairly well and it absolutely worth the listen , especially if carrying in a duty capacity. I've listened to it twice so far.

JLL2013

New magazine springs are probably in order. There really isn't much more to it. No amount of lubricant is going to remain in that location throughout duty use.

PM07

Staff member
ISMI is a great choice for springs. I use SLIP2000 on my STI but check it more frequently than I do my Glocks. People tend to try to get Glock like care out of a 2011 which isn't optimal. Especially if you are carrying it on duty. Remember mags as well as springs are disposable items. I'm following Joe Chambers recommendation for springs wise.

JLL2013

Another option is to put the 170mm length STI mag springs in your 140mm length mag. Easy way to get more spring strength without loss of capacity.

SCSU74

Atlas and Wolff both offer + mag springs, I've heard good things about the Atlas springs in the Lightfighter thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM07

Staff member
@Greyhound1

Found my notes from the Modcast:
Joe recommended 20# mainspring, 13# recoil spring for 9mm 2011 with 5" barrel. Sprinco Springs if I am reading my notes right.
Dave Laubert recommended 19# Mainspring, 14# recoil for same.

Don't remember if they mentioned mag springs.

SCSU74

@Greyhound1

Found my notes from the Modcast:
Joe recommended 20# mainspring, 13# recoil spring for 9mm 2011 with 5" barrel. Sprinco Springs if I am reading my notes right.
Dave Laubert recommended 19# Mainspring, 14# recoil for same.

Don't remember if they mentioned mag springs.
They mentioned mag springs, said not to use extra power as it messes up the timing of the slide. I think Joe talked about it.