SCAR Family of Weapons

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
I never objected to it being "tight". My two objections were "this is so tight I couldn't even get it together with a rubber mallet and liberal pounding until I took a file to it" and "it locks the bolt back with one round left in the magazine".

I look forward to seeing how these issues are Handled...(get it?). ;-)

Jake,

I just got back from SOFIC and I got to dig in to your lower. I have some videos I am going to send to you. The 7075 aluminum versions of the trigger module were designed to be very tight fitting, we want to utilize those trigger modules in the mk.20 and CSR. When you see a SCAR H shot under high speed from a 6 o'clock high position, or from a 4 o'clock low, while secured to a sled, you see a lot of movement. The receiver is extruded 6061 T6, IMO not enough to handle all the stresses that the 7.62x51 puts into the platform. 5.56, 300blk, or even 7.62x39 there is a lot less movement. Its like those guys who used to drop 350 small blocks in S-10 pickups.

Now for a CQC or MBR the lower tensile strength of AZ 31 Mg is fine as we are more concerned about making spec sheet weight. It adds much more structural rigidity than the polymer. But the weight requirements of the MK.20 or SASS applications are different. We can go with the ideal application of material (7075) as a stressed member. Instead of the trigger module just hanging off the bottom of the gun, it now adds a structural reinforcement to the platform. These Aluminum versions are also just a bit longer as well. The receiver base plate just vibrates like a tuning fork under HS video. That obviously had to go as well.

The offset is that it is tight. It needs to be assembled in a specific manner. As in where you can "slap" an AR closed, you cant do that with a stressed member trigger module. (There is video) There is a procedure; put the trigger module in, pinch it tight with support hand, pull towards the rear while pushing the take down pin (Pinch, pull, press). Since I joined Handl Defense I have been bitching about how sometimes we don't provide enough direction for the end user. We are working on rectifying that, but before I joined in it was 3-4 guys trying to do the job of 10 and it was showing.

Shoot me an email, or the group doesn't mind I'll post up the videos here.

- Jake

EDITED TO ADD: New Handl lower showed up at my shop on 6/1. Looks perfect. Thank you, Fox33C1.

Last edited:

Fox33C1

Okay this is Jakes old lower.
now it was one of the tighter ones I've seen. But these are supposed to be tight.

Fox33C1

When it comes to discussions on how the SCAR can be a bit of a handful. I want you to pay very close attention to this OEM trigger module that has had about 8000-10000k of rather rapid abuse to it. The impulse is enough to get the scope cap to flip open. There are some other details in this video that only Handl, NSWC Crane, and FN know about. I am not going divulge these so dont even ask. But know that outside of those two groups (Crane, FN) nobody knows more about this gun than us.

Extensive R&D and T&E (without getting a guy from SEAL TM 7 A PLT to steal 75k of 118LR) all under HS video and with accelerometers attached. We have one gun that is over 12k in rounds. We have multiple that are at 10k.

I think the SCAR could very well be the AR15 of the 21st century.

Fox33C1

In this video you can see the movement in the OEM gun vs. one with a Handl trigger module.

We were even giving the OEM the advantage of shooting from the suppressed gas setting and we were still able to reduce G loads. Plus we didn't want to provide free R&D on the movement in the system under normal.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
Okay this is Jakes old lower.
now it was one of the tighter ones I've seen. But these are supposed to be tight.

Awesome...but let's remember, it took me hours of careful filing to get it to that point.

If it had been like that when I got it, my only objection would have been that it locks back with a round left in the mag.

I'm not trying to be a bitch here, but you're holding the fit of that lower up as an example of how things should work AFTER I fixed it myself when Handl and Rainier Arms both refused to provide support for a $500 part.

- Jake

EDITED TO ADD: New Handl lower showed up at my shop on 6/1. Looks perfect. Thank you, Fox33C1.

Last edited:

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
Thank you very much; I'll send you my shipping address via PM. Please feel free to keep the old one; it's not doing anything for me.

- Jake

Last edited:

Fox33C1

The last thing I wanted to touch on was these videos where you can see the rear relationship. We wanted things to be much tighter, there are some defined advantages to increasing the structural rigidity in this platform.

I have a bunch more stuff but the company really doesnt like me getting into too much detail.

Fox33C1

I want everyone to know that this is not me or Handl Defense throwing FNH under the bus. That in discussions with the engineers of the SCAR they were using the best they had in 2003. Materials have advanced, the ability to collect data and make quick alterations to designs has advanced. I do think that 15 years down the road everyone will look at the SCAR in a much different light. That we will look at the OEM gun now much like we look at the AR's with the fixed carry handles and triangle handguards.

Jake I apologize that this part gave you such a headache, I hope that the new one will fulfill your needs.