Scalarworks vs Geissele LPVO Mount Buying Advice

Vinsynd

Amateur
I'm looking at these two mounts:

Geissele Super Precision (7.2oz)
Scalarworks Leap/Scope (5.4oz)

I'm going for a combination of weight and durability and I'm uncertain of the performance of the Scalarworks mount.

Does anyone have experience with the Leap/Scope mount?
I've seen glowing customer reviews, but I've also seen glowing customer reviews for IHOP.

Mike_IA

How far are you looking to shoot and what kind of durability are you looking for or are you policy bound to a QD style mount? Those are the questions that would guide my decision making.

By its nature the Geissele, or other cross bolt style mount, will be solid and repeatable. My preference is for a solid LVPO mount that is non-QD unless policy requires it because I push distance and want/need rock solid reliable 0.

I know of a couple scalarworks mounts in the wild that are capable of the mechanical accuracy of the gun and ammo. And are well liked by the guys that carry them.

I have had a first generation T2 mount that would rattle a click or 2 loose every month or so in my car- never noticeably shifted zero. I sent it back and they sent a completely new mount, their testing said the spring was in spec for that generation of mount and I was the only one to report that issue (I drive over 1000 miles a week on rough or unpaved roads). That has further colored my view of QD mounts in precision applications for my needs.

Default.mp3

Established
I have had a first generation T2 mount that would rattle a click or 2 loose every month or so in my car- never noticeably shifted zero. I sent it back and they sent a completely new mount, their testing said the spring was in spec for that generation of mount and I was the only one to report that issue (I drive over 1000 miles a week on rough or unpaved roads). That has further colored my view of QD mounts in precision applications for my needs.
Did the new mount solve the issue? I'm curious because I'm having to make the same decision down the line, albeit for a 1.93" CompM5 mount (will be paired with a Scalarworks 1.93" magnifier mount, which I'm told is coming).

On topic, I will also note that the Geissele has the advantage of having aftermarket ring halves that allow the mounting of RDSes if that's something you want to consider. That was one of the primary reasons I moved from Geissele to Spuhr (since Spuhr has actual plates that attach, making it easier to add).

Vinsynd

Amateur
Its for use in local 2-gun style competition practice, average distance is ~50 yards (25 - 300 yards). QD is not a requirement, I'd prefer light and durable over ease of removal.

I figured the Geissele was the safest answer, but the reduced weight (25%) of the Scalarworks mount is whats enticing for me.

Interesting you mention the locking wheel coming loose - I was most concerned with its small "thumb screw system" myself. In the photos it doesn't look like there is a way to use a torque wrench to dial in to specific ft-lb past "hand tight".

The Monk

I own both and you will be fine with either. The Geissele is heavier and probably more durable. The Scalarworks is a work of art as far as its machining goes. They both have very god return to zero. I dont think you can go wrong either.

I would add one key piece - because of the Scalarworks design, I would not considerat it QD, I would considerate it tooless. You have to go back and forth between the knobs and its takes some time to get it off even if you practice. Its by no means a Larue or ADM mount that you throw the levers and ditch the optic. If used on a duty rifle and if your optic were to go down, you will need to seek cover to get the mount off. Geissele would also be the same, you would just need a leatherman or I met guy that cut a wrench to throw in his grip if he needed to take off the mount in the field (clearly doesn't care about weight).

Mike_IA

@Default.mp3 since I have gotten the new mount, which is designed to have higher spring pressure on the detent, I have not had the gun out of the safe the IR laser on it went back the the manufacturer for testing and possible repairs. I have also changed jobs that limits the amount of road time I see. I really don’t foresee any problems going forward. Honestly I didn’t know I was having a problem to start with: (1) the mount maintained an acceptable red dot 0, (2) I figured an occasional click or 2 of tightness was part of the deal as things heat cycled and rattled in my car.

If a couple ounces mean that much there are Badger mounts that are coming out that weigh at or less than the scalarworks and are predicted to have closer to Geissele durability. The other thing is for a match with a 1 min stage or even a 4 min stage an ounce here or there won’t hurt you (pick where you need the added durability/weight and balance). Even on 5+ mile run-n-guns or biathlon’s I really don’t noticed the weight difference between LaRue, Geissele, ADM, or other mounts. I do noticed weight differences in barrel profile, stock, and rails though.

I have a Geissele for my Nightforce NX8, but have a Kahles K16i and Scalarworks mount scheduled to be delivered today.

I decided to try the Scalarworks this time mostly because of the weight since this is going on an SBR, but the quick(er) detachment and scope leveling screw were bonus items. If all else is equal I would prefer to be able to remove the optic easily without tools, but I'm not willing to give up a large margin of durability or weight to get it.

Neither of mine are likely to see hard use anytime soon, but if I have any additonal or conflicting thoughts once I get everything mounted I'll let you know.

I have a Viper PST 1-6 so it is on the way. It was supposed to be here yesterday but USPS has it so who knows. Yay!

What's good in mounts? I currently have the Aero Precision UL SPR mount that my PA 1-8 was sitting in and I'm sure it would be functional but I have doubts about long term durability and the ability to maintain zero.
I keep getting recommendations for the Badger COMM mount. I'm hesitant to go that route due to the weight and overall cost. The mount with J arm and micro mounting plate is almost 8 oz and about $400.
What else is out there that is semi light weight, durable, with maintain my zero through rough use and maybe less than $400?

This combo will be going on my do all carbine, HD, training, ride around the truck at work to deal with Javelina.