SAS Smock

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
I’ve been looking for a SAS Style Windproof smock in a multicamish pattern. MTP, MC, Grom patterns would all be acceptable. I bought an MTP one new. Actually two and returned one. The NATO sizing was not actually the same as my DPM pattern one. It was much too narrow through the shoulders. The second one is sized right in the shoulders but more for A giant. Even at 6ft the bottom hem just about touched my knees. I had to bend over to grab the bottom of the zipper to start it. Anyone have suggestions on where to source one? I’m not buying the FS Squadron Smock because of price. Same for the SORD product. A Brit MTP one would be my choice if I could find it new and in different sizes. I used military clothing for the one I have now.

Earl Green

I have 3 or 4 SAS type smocks, 2 in MTP, one in DPM and a SORD in grey. Sizing can be hit and miss but I found that once I started using the British Army sizing guide I could find the right fit.

Have you taken your measurements and attempted to match them up? For example 170/96 (height is the first number, chest is the second measurement in cm) I'm 5'7" with a 42" chest (my actual chest measurement comes out to around 41" or 104 cm) and my 170/96 fits me perfectly with room for a Snugpak or fleece underneath. I actually went 4" less on the chest size to get the right fit.

Military Kit in the UK has them for about $64.00 US.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
Yeah the problem I’m having is finding it. First one I got was a 170-104. I had a DPM combat jacket that size that was a touch snug but doable. The SAS smock in that was too snug across the shoulders and under the armpits. I have a DPM SAS smock that’s 180- 104 that’s perfect but I can’t find a new one that size. The last one I got was 190-112 which is too tall. I wanted it for hunting so I could carry calls, Bino’s, Range finder etc in pockets and not need to carry any sort of bag. I may just have this 112 tailored a bit. I like the extra pockets on the SORD model. The old DPM version has two pouches inside the rear hem that are probably 8”x12” each plus two large inside chest pockets. The new models dropped that but added side entry fleece lined hand warmer pockets.

Earl Green

I like my SORD but it is shorter than similar Military issue smocks. I also find the side pockets slightly small but, like you, I use mine for hunting and can divide a lot of gear up very well.
I was disappointed that the new MTP smocks don’t have the internal rear pocket but mine still holds a lot of gear and the fleece hand warmer pockets are awesome can like you mentioned! I’ve thought of having an internal rear picket sewn in.
You might be further ahead to have your’s tailored. It may be very worth the expense and you’ll get exactly what you want.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
It’s the zipper that’s going to be the PITA. Not insurmountable but it makes an otherwise simple job more difficult. There may be enough material removed to add that interior beavertail pocket although being that it’s inside I could use any color. I even considered using goretex as it might keep my butt dry when sitting on the ground or a wet tree stand seat