Salomon XA Pro 3d Mid (shoes)

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
On one of my trips to DARC, I noticed a large number of students and several instructors wearing Salomon XA Pro 3d Mid shoes.

Those that I asked had great things to say about them. They appeared low profile - I.E. didn't scream tactical. I decided to buy a pair of them. I found them to be very light weight and comfortable. Like a sneaker/running shoe. They are not as warm as my Asolos though. The BOA fastening system allows me to be as lazy as I want to be - they can be slip-ons as needed or proper shoes. The green pair I have have worn well without signs of wear, deterioration, or coming apart.

After a year of wearing them, I purchased the Forces version in black for work. They have been my duty footwear for the last six or so months.

I have been impressed with them and I highly recommend them. I believe good guy pricing set them hovering around $100.

These will not work if you work under a policy that requires polish-able surfaces.

salomon1.jpg salomon2.jpg

N

nate89

It's quite the coincidence-I have been looking for a new pair of shoes, and a friend of mine has these exact same shoes. Although I was looking at something else initially, after hearing how well they worked for him I decided to get a pair. They are currently en-route to my house via UPS. I'm glad to see they are so popular and hold up well.

voodoo_man

Established
I just wore out a pair of mid forces and went on to buy a set of quest 4d forces.

I'll be doing a review of the mid's as soon as I have the time to.

Great non-freezing weather boot, my "go to" for warm weather work.

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
I just bought this exact pair a few weeks back. Too early to have an opinion on them but I like them so far. Very lightweight and comfortable. We'll see how I feel in 6 months, but they seem promising.

Ike

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
What advantage do they have over the regular, non-mid XA PRO 3Ds?

The Mid's are a little higher and provide more ankle support. Other than that, they're identical as far as I can tell. I own a pair of both.

Mid:
L36678000 (1).jpg

Regular XA PRO 3D (non-mid)

download (3).jpg

Ike

tact

I've been using the Quest 4d Forces daily in pretty rough terrain and they've held up quite well. I highly recommend them.

Matt

Staff member
Where do you find these for $100? They are $180 on Amazon.

They can regularly be found for that price on outdoor web retailers like campsaver.com or amazon.com if you look at previous season's styles. The best deals are available if you qualify for the Salomon Pro deal through Promotive.com or something similar.

Do we
They can regularly be found for that price on outdoor web retailers like campsaver.com or amazon.com if you look at previous season's styles. The best deals are available if you qualify for the Salomon Pro deal through Promotive.com or something similar.
do we have a team code there?

Matt

Staff member
Negative. No P&S specific Promotive team code at this time. You'll have to use whatever mil/LE/instructor/outdoor retailer/SAR/EMS certs you can come up with on your own.

TheTick

How do their sizes line up?

I'm a 10.5 in Oakley Light Assaults, but need something waterproof to replace my blown out 5.11s (also in 10.5).

essal

I believe I got my first pair (GTX) back in December 2012, and my Forces (GTX) in May 2013 (produced for GIGN according to SSD, an overstocked run that ended up at Amazon UK) and used them ever since.

I've used mine in environments from Minnesota hot and humid summers to around 0 Celcius winters in Norway. All with various weights of wool socks. I also use them with the OR Gaiters from time to time, depending on the weather.
It is, hands down my favorite shoe/boot that I've used (I've used issued Norwegian M77, Magnum Mach 2 and Oakley SIs). I would typically consider mine for 3 season use for Mil (or overnight hiking), but I use them as a civie during winters as well. They are stable enough to use with PC and a 30l pack for extended hikes (higher degree of stability than others mentioned by me), they dry fairly quick after being submerged and they are light weight. Only negative I can think of, is that the laces are proprietary and normal shoelaces or paracord won't work as an emergency replacement (for when your dog eats the cord lock, I've never worn them out). I got replacement sets for $8 CAD which can be stuffed in your pack. Oh and the insoles tend to smell like shit after some use..

Here is a photo of the normal ones, they are starting to become kinda crusty, but they are 3 years old by now so I can't complain. No idea of total mileage..
oG53OAS.jpg

MustangLT

VIP
I've been using the Quest 4d GTX for the past two years (fall hunts) and it's a great boot. I also have the low XA pro 3d for summer hiking/general around wear. What I don't like is the low shoe fits narrower than the hiking boot, and the bolo system (I haven't broken it yet though...). I've never noticed the differences in shoe width until I started running in Altra shoes, now my feet seemed to have spread a little.

I know different shoes fit different, so I really need to try on some of these in the wide sizes. Unfortunately a lot of places don't carry the wide sizes. I'd love to try more of these though. Last shoes I went with Keens because they come a little wide already.

Except for the slightly narrow fit on the XA Pro low cut, it is a comfortable shoe. I did a 4 day canyoneering trip in them last may and they did well (about a 4 mile trip one way across sand and slick rock with over night pack). Little toe wasn't blistered, just uncomfortable. Need to find some wide sizes.

Matt

Staff member
What I don't like is the low shoe fits narrower than the hiking boot...

I know different shoes fit different, so I really need to try on some of these in the wide sizes. Unfortunately a lot of places don't carry the wide sizes.

Except for the slightly narrow fit on the XA Pro low cut, it is a comfortable shoe.

That is my only gripe about them also... too narrow to be a high mileage shoe for me. I didn't think they came in wides? I know the low tops have M+ or whatever, but I'm not convinced that is really very much wider. It would be nice to get an actual wide version of the XA Pro 3d GTX mids so that I could wear them with thicker socks.

JekPokins

Amateur
I've never understood why, but as best I can tell and research they do not make the mid models in a size 14. I've had several of the lo-cuts in a 14, but the mids are unobtanium, unless I'm a total idiot (which is plausible).

dont_tread_on_me

Flat out, these shoes are the shit. I strongly feel that along with the dead bird Salomon is making the best equipment on the market bar none. I've been fortunate to get away with wearing them on the job for a while but am afraid that time may have come to an end. It's a shame - I think if I could get the policy makers to wear them they'd be converted. I'm looking forward to the day when function and form will have equal footing.