Safariland ALS holster with P226 RMR

user12358

After using a Glock for a while to be able to utilize both the ALS holster system and a micro red dot I was finally able to go back to using a P226, which was always where I felt most comfortable, with both of these systems. Safariland announced at SHOT show and recently expanded their ALS RDS series of holsters to include P320 models. Using one of these I was able to fairly easily modify it to fit a P226 correctly. The Safariland SKU for the hoster that I used is 1208018.

IMG_1911.jpg

I have looked around and haven't seen this done anywhere else and figured it wouldn't hurt to throw this up in case anyone else is in the same boat as I was and is looking to use an RMR'd P226 in what I humbly consider to be the gold standard of OWB Duty grade holsters. There is nothing ground breaking that I am going to be showing you as this has been done many times, and for a long time, to put 2011s in single stack ALS holsters but I know some people like to look before they leap into modifying a fairly expensive holster. This is a very easy process when compared with fitting 2011s to single stack ALS holsters.

The only tool you will need for this is a heat gun. You can buy a usable one at Home Depot for less than $40 that will perform great or you can attempt to use a hair dryer. I have never used a hair dryer to work on a Kydex like material but you do not need an incredible amount of heat so I should work fine with one. As you can see below, I have circled the areas that were causing an interference in red. You can get the gun in and locked without any modification but it will bow the sides which will show you exactly what needs massaged out to get a smooth and effortless draw.

IMG_1912_EDITTED.jpg

As far as technique goes for this process, keep the heat gun on a medium setting and keep an inch or two of distance between the nozzle of the heat gun and the holster. Apply heat for 20 seconds and see how receptive the material is to molding before adding more heat. A little heat goes a long way. For reference temperature wise, I was still able to use my bare hands for all of the molding. It is always better to go a little slower with heat than to start melting things. Start on the area to the left of the entrance to the holster and then as the gun can go further in without resistance go to the area on the right of the opening. Make sure to keep the area of holster that the ALS nub slides on straight or it will not snap back into the locked position, I have circled this portion in green.

Good luck and I hope this helped. I will update confirming OT Defense Nub mod compatibility as soon as I get my hands on some extras if anyone is interested.

user12358

To update the original post, the regular OT Defense Nub mod and the 1911 version both fit on this modified holster but the ALS guard has to be removed for either to function properly.

How many draws/insertions have you had (ballpark) since doing the modifications? Any discovered issues?

I just picked up a P226 TacOps and I’m seeking usable holster options ICW a WML.

user12358

I have upwards of 10k pulls from that particular rig in its lifetime. Since I made the original post I have removed the ALS guard to allow the OT Defense nub mod to function. I also had to do a better job of straightening the green highlighted section that the ALS rides on once I installed the nub mod because it was rubbing slightly. I also discovered that different grips will have a noticeably different mold on the red highlighted sections. Hogue G10 Magrips being larger than SIG factory grips which are larger than E2 grips. I would recommend forming it with the largest grips you plan to use.

Short of those few growing pains the holster has functioned as flawlessly as you would expect a Safariland to perform. I am also a big fan of having the red dot cover over the older 6354DO style I had for Glocks with the open top.

As far as additional weapon/dot/light combination testing, I have found that you need to remove or alter the barrel plug if you want to run a threaded barrel. So far all optics I have tried have fit as well as both the X300U-B and TLR-1 HL. You will have to adjust the tension screw when switching between lights but that is a completely painless process.

If you are just looking for a holster for a P226 TacOps with no MRDS and an WML, Safariland makes a version that will fit with zero modification unless you have a threaded barrel. Rotating the barrel plug 90 degrees will allow for the threaded barrel to fit perfectly.

If you are just looking for a holster for a P226 TacOps with no MRDS and an WML, Safariland makes a version that will fit with zero modification unless you have a threaded barrel. Rotating the barrel plug 90 degrees will allow for the threaded barrel to fit perfectly.

Do you know the model off the top of your head? I won’t be running a MRDS.

user12358

Do you know the model off the top of your head? I won’t be running a MRDS.

The Safariland 6378 is the one I was using before. The 6378 and 6377 can be purchased interchangably depending on which attachment method you want to use or if you just want the cheaper one to but a QLS fork on.

The new 7 series holster can be found here. (LINK) Fair warning, I haven't used this particular holster with a SIG but I did run a 7TS with a Glock a little bit and have nothing bad to say about the 7 series. My only concern would be if you were running a threaded barrel.

user12358

One quick update, if you are going to get the Nub Mod make sure to get the 1911 version instead of the standard one. This is only really an issue if you have aftermarket full length front slide serrations but it is just easier to get the slightly thinner version.

Thanks for the reply. I’m wondering it that holster would fit the P226 with the Romeo+ shroud. Is there any way to post a pick to check clearance from above?

user12358

Yes, this does work. I have made one of these holsters for a buddy's mom who is using a P226 RX with the Romeo and she has had no issue. I could try and see if she could send me a picture of the gun in the holster if you want to see clearance. I am currently only using a P226 w/ a can in a modified MasterFire so it would be a while before I could take a picture of my personal P226 ALS holster.

Yes, this does work. I have made one of these holsters for a buddy's mom who is using a P226 RX with the Romeo and she has had no issue. I could try and see if she could send me a picture of the gun in the holster if you want to see clearance. I am currently only using a P226 w/ a can in a modified MasterFire so it would be a while before I could take a picture of my personal P226 ALS holster.
Thanks for all your help. I’ll be ordering one soon.

Nlivsey

Took me forever to find a thread on the interwebz that answered what I was trying to do! I have a new P226 legion, and just like everyone else I’ve loved Safariland RDS ALS holsters since the beginning. Was disappointed that they didn’t have anything for Sig other than the 320 series. I have an RMR and a Surefire X300U on it currently, but no OWB solution. I appreciate the write up! Let me ask you this: if I were able to ship my new holster to you, can we figure out a fee that covers your time and material for the modification? Please let me know brother.

user12358

Let me ask you this: if I were able to ship my new holster to you, can we figure out a fee that covers your time and material for the modification? Please let me know brother.

It would be a while before I would be able to do something like that, unfortunately. I would imagine that any local custom kydex shop could make the changes in 15 minutes. It is honestly a super easy DIY process since you are using your gun to mold the edges. I would be happy to help you over DMs or in this thread if you were to run into any snags.

Nlivsey

It would be a while before I would be able to do something like that, unfortunately. I would imagine that any local custom kydex shop could make the changes in 15 minutes. It is honestly a super easy DIY process since you are using your gun to mold the edges. I would be happy to help you over DMs or in this thread if you were to run into any snags.
No worries man. Thank you for getting back to me so soon. I live in a Central Oregon, so not much in the way of a local kydex shop. If you can give me a timeframe for when you might be able to get to it, as well as what you may charge, I don’t mind the wait. I just know if I start trying to use a heat gun on my holster, my track record isn’t very good.

Nlivsey

Disregard previous email! I’ll definitelt try it. I know you did yours with a 6390RDS, so I’m wondering if this will fit a P229 as well, since the holster you worked with is made for both a P320X Full, as well as a P320rx carry. Will your above modification work for the shorter P229/P320 carry? Thank you!

user12358

Disregard previous email! I’ll definitelt try it. I know you did yours with a 6390RDS, so I’m wondering if this will fit a P229 as well, since the holster you worked with is made for both a P320X Full, as well as a P320rx carry. Will your above modification work for the shorter P229/P320 carry? Thank you!

I don't have any first hand experience with the smaller holster for a P229 or a P320 carry but I have used the holster plug kit from Holster Ops to go from a G34 to a G17 and also a G19 with the same holster body. I don't see why the same wouldn't work with a P229.

Nlivsey

Thanks for your quick replies. I’m stoked to be able to use a Cordura ALS holster for my Sig, and not the other non-red dot type

Little update. User12358 was totally good to go. I just received my holster for my duty P226 RX. And with a tiny bit of heat I adjusted the area he described. Voila, perfect fit. Now I just want to say that my gun has a threaded barrel so I purchased the plug kit. None of them worked. So I just removed the plug at the bottom and it works.

Since I’m running an Inforce APL there is a little wiggle room but that changes when I put on the streamlight tlr1 on it.

Let me know if you have questions.