Safariland 6360 RDS series problems.

Chriscanbreach

Established
We’ve run into an issue that I have to address. Those of us who started the MRDS program have been running 6354DO’s without issue for years. We have all made various Dremel mods to make them fit, but they function perfectly.
Newer officers to the program have been using the 6360 RDS platform and the performance / fit has been fine even with the silly good most discard half way through the transition class.
The issue that’s been popping up is the spring in the newly designed one screw ALS tension module has broken. When this happens the retention fails and the holster is useless. When the first one occurred we chalked it up to oh well things break.
We’re now at 8 holsters with this issue. And I want to make sure everyone who uses it is aware.
Getting replacement parts from Safariland has been difficult at best even for a department our size. 2D9230F2-9FFC-4399-B87A-90B703ECEA94.jpeg

The original DO version on top Has a spring that’s wound slightly less than the new version below. I’m not sure if it’s the design or a change in spring metal / manufacture. Or we got a bunch of a bad batch.
If you e experienced this problem let me know. If your department authorized this holster I just want you to be aware of the issue we’ve had.

Chriscanbreach

Established
My apologies this also includes 6390 series where it just ALS. Same holster without the SLS hood. I should have just referred to it as the new design so as not to exclude the million varieties that use this system.

I specifically remember RDR Gear posting a video about this a few weeks or so back. Breaking the plastic housing of that spring was also an issue.
How many rds holsters do you guys have in service now?

Chriscanbreach

Established
Without pulling all the qualls id say 100 or so on the street and another 200 in the wings waiting to finish the transition. Some are still waiting on holsters. I’m still waiting on a call back from Safariland R&D. I’ll advise on what I hear.

Vista461

Amateur
When the 6360 breaks, is it still able to be used like a 6280, hood only, at least until you’re about to get parts/replacement holster?

weaver1032

I've broken 2 of them. I got one replaced but it took some time (about 2 weeks). The second one still hasn't been replaced yet. Oddly enough, the only ones I've broken were on a G17 holster and haven't broken one on my 19 holster though my 19 has about 10x as much use on it. I isolated the problem to being a weak piece of plastic being banged onto the center console/seatbelt receptacle in my old squad. My new car has a lower console so it doesn't hit as high up on the holster as my old one.

A metal spring retaining plate would correct the issue. The other issue that I'd like to try is to cover one in that rubberized stuff that you can dip tool handles into. I think that would toughen up the cover plate and absorb enough impact to prevent parts breakage. I'll advise when I can get replacement parts from Safariland to try this.

The broken one that RDR Gear posted was mine. Holster was less than a year old. I dry fire a couple times a week, shoot about once a week. Haven’t had an issue with the replacement (been a couple months) but I’ve been meaning to contact Safariland to keep a handful of spares in the duty bag.

It broke seemingly randomly, during a range session. Felt like a normal draw, finished the string of fire, then noticed the lack of “click” upon reholstering.

Chriscanbreach

Established
To update. I had a good conversation with Tom Campbell at Safariland, they stand behind their product and are aware of the issue.
The spring is one of the few pieces they don’t manufacture and they have remedied this going forward with the manufacturer. There appears to be a poor quality batch we got a hold of a little less than a year ago and they assured us they will fix any holsters that fail.
Our holster failures have been with guys who usually good for a few hundred rounds a week on average.
Will yours fail with moderate use? Heavy use? I have no idea and it will probably go for years without issue, but the awareness needs to be there so you can make appropriate informed decisions.
Going forward for now, the only guns they will be supporting in Duty RDS holster will be light bearing Glock, Sig P320, and S&W M&P.

In the near future look for a shift in handgun light size and a redesign of the holsters to support them in an effort to shrink the required tunnel and holster size overall.
Shot show 2020?

Talk about an unlucky coincidence after commenting on this thread...

f90e67b69dae1371c7ee3be2f617a574.jpg

Everything was normal start of shift today. Normal day, nothing of note. Was doing a little impromptu dry fire, aka finger banging the releases, when I noticed the spring tension was gone. Once home, removed the cover and discovered the spring was broken where it makes the sharp bend. Holster is still serviceable as SLS only, as the lack of spring tension does not lock the ALS. Will call Safariland tomorrow.

Holster details: 6360RDS-832 for Glock 17/22 with light (black STX basketweave, right hand, mid ride, ALS/SLS lvl3), mfg 27/17 (first week of July, 2017). Added a QLS fork/receiver, UBL pad, and OTD Nub Mod for ALS/SLS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Called Safariland just now. Guy that answered had already dealt with a few that had broken and had spares on his desk. He’s mailing me a replacement and a spare no question last asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve H.

I recently discovered a separate issue with my 6360 RDS holster as well. My holster is for a Glock 34/35, but I primarily use it with a roland special type setup. While the gun is holstered, I can apply force to the grip of the gun in the direction of the holster hood and in doing so disengage the ALS function of the holster.

I have uploaded a couple of videos to demonstrate what I am talking about:

As you can see in the first video, I was able to recreate the issue with multiple glock configurations. I only have the one RDS holster to test, but this may affect ALS-only holsters as well. Also, I cannot say whether this is a new issue or has been happening all along, but I have only recently noticed it. Does anyone else have experience with this issue or know of any fixes?

I recently discovered a separate issue with my 6360 RDS holster as well. My holster is for a Glock 34/35, but I primarily use it with a roland special type setup. While the gun is holstered, I can apply force to the grip of the gun in the direction of the holster hood and in doing so disengage the ALS function of the holster.

I have uploaded a couple of videos to demonstrate what I am talking about:

As you can see in the first video, I was able to recreate the issue with multiple glock configurations. I only have the one RDS holster to test, but this may affect ALS-only holsters as well. Also, I cannot say whether this is a new issue or has been happening all along, but I have only recently noticed it. Does anyone else have experience with this issue or know of any fixes?
There was a guy in the Safariland Holster Mods thread 2 years ago with seemingly the same issue with a 6354

Hey guys, I recently switch from a TrexArms Ragnarok to a Safariland 6354do for my Roland Special. I did the RS mod but the als lock doesn’t seem to be functioning properly. If I apply horizontal rearward pressure to the pistol when I draw it slips under the als and comes out freely without depressing the thumb nub. When I apply direct vertical pressure when drawing the als locks as it should. My trigger guard is double undercut if that makes a difference. If anyone has any ideas on this I’d really appreciate it!

I've had those springs on order for 6 weeks and customer care tells me they're in the mail. Somehow I doubt it. This is the only Safariland I own that has broken and the only one with this type of ALS design. None of the other ALS designs have ever broken no matter how much I crashed into walls and roll in the dirt and gravel. This one broken by simple range use. It's the cloth covered one that supports G17 MOS. Why are these springs not an easy customer order part?

WAVandal

I had a different breakage. The 6360 RDS I've been using since 2019 broke the ALS spring cover. The spring is fine, the lower part of the plastic broke and the crack followed along the bolt hole. My first clue was the ALS level was getting "lazy" and not snapping back into place. I am chalking this up to daily use and not Safariland's fault. I have an email to CS about a replacement. I pulled a new cover and spring off of my spare holster until I can get it replaced.

Holster Break.jpeg

WAVandal

For those tracking Safariland CS, the replacement part with spring installed arrived yesterday. Bolted on with no issues and both holsters are back up.