Running tips??

mpalmer89

Spring is in the air and its time to start running outside.
What are the tips that some of you want to share? Even if you dont run yourself but have a knowledge about it, please do share.

I don't know how specific you want us to get, but having some specific questions might help. I have been back on the running train for a few months and one thing that has really helped me is to follow a program. Have specific distance/pace goals as well as mixing up some long distance with short interval training.

shoobe01

Established
Lots of things. Especially as I am old, so have been through several injury / recovery phases. Hell, I injured myself and started running again before I was 18... TWICE.

Biggest one is start slow, increase slowly.

Never run before? First distance is maybe... 200 m. No, seriously.

Never increase mileage more than 10% per week.

Get to a running shoe store and have them take a peek at your feet and buy a good pair of shoes accordingly. Fallen arches, high arches, toe runner, mid-foot striker, pronator, supinator... feet are all different shapes and sizes and people use them to get around in totally different ways, biomechanically speaking. The shoe that feels best to you might give me shin splints in a week.

Wake27

Overstriding is easy to understand with a bit of research because it is well understood by people in the know, but vastly overlooked by most casual runners IMO. It’ll wear the shit out of your knees, so do a quick google search and keep it in mind. My normal run wasn’t too terrible, but my sprint was pretty bad. Seems pretty common for those who are in good enough shape to run fast but haven’t ever had any formal coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krax

Never increase mileage more than 10% per week.
Yup.

Also, until you've dialed in your shoe setup, get your running shoes from a dedicated running or triathlon store. If the store doesn't have a treadmill in it to try out shoes, you're in the wrong store. That said, if you don't have serious foot or lower body issues, I'd highly recommend getting into a zero-drop running shoe as soon as possible and spending a little time learning proper running form.

shoobe01

Established
Zero drop is the only thing that gives me pause about saying "go to a running shoe store." Way too many are extremely opinionated so have only one style in stock an tend to poo-poo the other methods of running, type of shoe.

Do a bit of research, know the terms, and see if you can find a store with a broad selection, and open mind, who will for sure find you the right shoe For You.

Did some sprints yesterday and some running/walking as a cool down. And holy fuck were my feet hurting this morn (they're fine now, but when I got out of bed...) I'm also really sore/tight in (what I think is) my hip flexors.

Did some warm ups barefoot on the sidewalk, then when the more serious stuff wearing my inov8 light F235 shoes and running on the road/sidewalk.

FWIW, I used to get the same foot pain when I was on my feet all day welding, so I'm not positive it's an activity-related thing.

Did that too. Jump rope is almost always the first thing I do as warm up. Duration is unknown, but long enough to start feeling "warm" but not breaking a sweat yet.

shoobe01

Established
Only other thing I learned I had to do after a while is use as little pavement as possible. Not for the hardness (I am not sure that matters) but for sort of repetitive stress. If you run even just through the edge of yards and so on, you hit the ground at a slightly different angle each time. You don't do the /exact/ same movement, and also strengthen all the little support muscles and tendons; it's like core training for your knees and ankles.

But, not a professional trainer: someone come along and explain better or tell me I am all wet.

Tried to do sprints again today and had what I think is my rectus femors (the big one in the middle) seize up. Might've made it 5 steps before I had to stop.

Sprint attempt on grass, wearing Inov8 F235 shoes. Prior to this I had done kettlebell swings - 10 sets 20 reps with 70#, and immediately before attempting sprints, I speed walked about an 1/8th of a mile.

Walking is okay, some pain but not crippling. Couldn't do any sprints so I did farmer's walks and that was OK so long as I didn't move fast.

My first thought is that maybe the quad muscle group is too tight and I need to do some couch stretches.

Theforge

Years ago I was a strongman weighing 250 lbs. Doctor warned me and I decided to be a triathlete. Couldn't run more than a mile and a half without shin and knee pain. I struggled with that ever since my freshman year where I did ROTC. A friend taught me how to properly run. He said go to a football field, and run out and back (200 yards) barefoot. Then two days later do double (400 yards), then two days later do double that (800). At that point, I should have the feel of how I should land and build up enough calf strength to take a mile on the street. I did and bought some bare access (Merrill) shoes. two months later, I was running 5K pain free. I became addicted to triathlon and endurance sports for years until I burned out after two ironman's and several half ironmans.

But I still run at least on 6-8 miler and 3-5 miler a week. And haven't had a run induced knee or shin injury in all that time.

fwrun

I was a competitive (and successful) runner/sprinter throughout my middle/high school and into college. My biggest advise is to not overstride. For some reason, there is this perpetuate myth that you should "roll through" your foot as you run, striking with the heel and rolling to the toes. This is inefficient and harmful to your joints. Aim for a "Midfoot stride." It will require alot of time and initial soreness on your part as you develop the stabilizing muscles you didn't realize you had. But everything from your hips down will thank you for it, and you will see your speed and stamina increase.

When your foot strikes flat directly beneath your knees, you maintain forward momentum unlike a heel strike which "hits the breaks" with every step and wreaks havoc on your joints with that jarring motion. You will need to either get a coach to show you what you need to do, or will need to hit youtube heavy for form on advice.

While I prefer a zero-drop shoe, I realize that may not be the best option for everyone from an orthopedic standpoint. Regardless of the shape of your arch/foot/whatever else, the midfoot stride is the correct, natural way to run, and is generally consistent with the technique used by most successful barefoot runners as well. A barefoot runner has the most to lose from bad form, and the same principles will apply to you if you are wearing shoes.

My best 3 mile time is 21:10 while weighing 220 lbs. Short distance runs and sprints helped a lot. 400m, 100m, suicides, etc. Find hills if you can.

Diz

Maybe find a local running group and get some free coaching n stuff. Lots of good running programs on line, that give a schedule for a 12 week program or whatever. Start slow. Start short. Build up a base. Then slowly progress as far as times, distances, etc. The biggest mistake I see is guys getting into it, guns blazing, and either get burned out or injured.

Within a good running group you will get advice on which store and peeps to talk to, so you get into a good pair of shoes. This is important as you are breaking in all the connective tissue and so forth. Find like a local 5K to sign up for and have a goal to train for.

This is my 44th year running. It's the best health insurance policy there is.

Any specific problems, let us know. I give out bum scoop as good as anybody.

Spring is in the air and its time to start running outside.
What are the tips that some of you want to share? Even if you dont run yourself but have a knowledge about it, please do share.
There are tons of things that have to be taken into account actually. I recommend choosing the right pair of running shoes first since it is essential. I have high arches and so it has always been difficult for me to pick the fitting pair. If you face the same problem, also find the right shoes for the best running practice. Take a look at some models of running shoes for high arches.