RMR flicker and Info from Trijicon

Freedom Forged

Well I hoped I would not have an issue with my RMR but as my luck goes, I did. Even though I used the Battle Works sealing plate it started flickering anyway. I took it off and shimmed the battery like others have done and sure enough it stopped it.

I called Trijicon anyway. For 1) I wanted to see if there was anything else I should do and 2) I wanted to get it off my chest that I, and a lot of others had to make a very expensive optic work by modifying it when we were using it for the purpose it was fit for.

The techs at Trijicon were very helpful. They told me I could certainly send it back for T&E to determine if something was wrong with the unit and could do so at any point in the life of the unit.

Then he passed on some info that I had never heard before and was not in the manual.

1 He said for some reason they had much better success with the Sony brand CR2032 batteries than others.

2 That the unit should be tightened onto the slide with between 9-11 inch pounds.

3 At 17 inch pounds the unit will begin to warp.

If any of this is in the manual I sure as shit didn't see it. IMO this is info that should be known right off the bat.

I ordered a Inch Pound screwdriver and I can tell you that without a doubt mine is well beyond 10 inch pounds and is probably beyond 17 IP. I would bet others out there are over 17 IP too. The tech also advise that the original screws came with dry thread locker on them and that if I wasn't using the OEM screws to add a tiny drop of medium thread locker to the screws.

I'm just passing on what the tech told me. If you don't agree or think this is so much BS then drive on.
Hope this helps someone.
FF

Yondering

Good info.

Something that helps for me is to put a small dab of RTV gasket sealant on the bottom of the battery (contacting the slide or sealing plate) when installing the RMR. That helps prevent the battery from vibrating and causing bad connections and flickers.

Default.mp3

Established
FWIW, Steve Fisher stated that the three points given are not totally accurate, but a good starting point (he couldn't give more detail due to NDAs).

Default.mp3

Established
33191215925_c25370ae07_b.jpg