RMR, astigmatism, and dominant eye

Mitch1993

Amateur
Just got an RM-06 6.5 for my Glock. My dominant eye (right) has a little astigmatism and the dot is a little blurred and throws some light flare around the edges, but still generally dot shaped most of the time. My left eye sees a beautiful perfectly round dot. Is it worth it to train left eye shooting just for handguns? I suppose it could largely depend on if it effects my shooting. Can't find this question anywhere so I'm sorry if it is out there in some form or another.

Thanks

CK837

Amateur
I suspect it's more annoying to you than it is actually going to effect anything. I have an astigmatism in both eyes and its all I've ever known. I really don't see it effecting my ability to shoot accurately with my RMR or RDS on a rifle. I definitely can see how it could be strange to see the same dot differently depending on which eye your focusing with though.

Mitch1993

Amateur
I suspect it's more annoying to you than it is actually going to effect anything. I have an astigmatism in both eyes and its all I've ever known. I really don't see it effecting my ability to shoot accurately with my RMR or RDS on a rifle. I definitely can see how it could be strange to see the same dot differently depending on which eye your focusing with though.

Love the perspective, and thanks for understanding.

SCSU74

What is your point of focus? I also have astigmatism and find when I look at the dot it's blurry, when target focused it cleans up nicely. Same for rifle (aimpoint) or pistol MRDS (RMR/DPP)

I too have astigmatism, and I see almost 2 dots stuck together. It doesn’t really hinder my shooting, just annoying is all.

Arete

Due to my astigmatism, I see different things. If I'm lucky, a comet. But if a blob, the blob is still smaller than the front sight. And then there all the other advantages that RDS offer. I prefer small dots (3.25 moa for RMR, 2 moa for Aimpoint) but I can hit 2/3 size steel at 200 yds with a 4 moa dot on a rifle, no problem. I see a cleaner dot when outdoors than indoors. When zeroing, I turn the dot down a bit. Also, I can see the "true" dot easier this way. But for defensive use, I leave the brightness turned up such that a 1500 lum white light won't wash the dot out.
Anyway, just embrace the blob and shoot.

Yondering

Is it worth it to train left eye shooting just for handguns?

Thanks

Yes, but for more reasons than just your astigmatism, and not just for handguns. I see a lot of value in learning to shoot with either hand and either eye with both long guns and handguns.

From the perspective of dealing with issues during a fight, most of us have two hands and two eyes to work with, but there is some chance you could take an injury (even as minor as dirt/dust/blood in your eye) that might put a hand or eye out of action. If you can switch to the other side, it's even better if you've practiced that way.

There's also the consideration of shooting around corners, if that matters to you, and showing less of your body around the corner by switching the gun (long or short) to the appropriate hand or shoulder.