rmr and rear sight placement

rear mounted in front of optic or rear behind the optic?

• rear sight in front of optic

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • rear sight behind optic

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
with red dots becoming more prevalent on handguns what is the preferred position of the rear sight? mounted in front of the optic, or behind in the traditional spot? for a carry or potential home defense gun..

Gypsy EDC

I have had both, my first rds pistols were a Vtac m&p with rear sight fwd of rmr and a g19 with rear sight behind rmr. I found the sight to the rear helpful in picking up the dot at the beginning but once I had some time on them it was a wash. The one bad habit or potential for one with using a rear sight as an index point for your red dot is building the habit of rear sight (which shouldn't be a focus point) ---> dot and wasting time moving from one focal point to a second.

Chriscanbreach

Established
In my experience it’s completely personal preference. There are some perceived benefits to both but I do not notice the irons either way while shooting. At this point I like them to the rear purely for cosmetics.
Either way make sure you red locktite or have a set screw. Trijicon informed us they are aware of fitment issues with gen5 glocks and suppressor sights are walking out. We’ve noticed the drift regardless of manufacturers and not red locktite all MRDS back ups.

David Mayeur

Personal preference is the rear in front. Getting used to shooting with a RDS I don't notice the irons either way.

The rear iron forward will protect the optic though, so there is a benefit beyond visuals.

46545554585_dfb239207b_c.jpg

the only drawback i have seen to rear mounted forward of optic is potential debris or splatter getting stuck in between the iron and the optic. with no quick access to wipe the glass clean. but also that does have the benefit as others have said of protecting the glass from brass..

Irons Forward looks odd but that's no reason to reject it. Also technically it allows the best view of the dot... With Rear Irons they can obscure the dot in the small area they protrude into the window while with Forward Irons the dot will superimpose over them. Also, most Forward Irons will preclude using the SRO if you are interested in that RDS.

LukeNCMX

I prefer irons forward. I find the unobstructed dot offered by irons forward is the closest thing to ideal (no irons at all). The profile of an irons forward slide is also more comfortable when carrying concealed against my body.

I think irons rear’s biggest selling point is two fold: It is the default/cheaper option and a proficient shooter can do well with irons front, rear or absent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clay1

Right now, if you want an optic with a different footprint forward of the dot will cause an issue. Something like the Trijicon SRO will not work with a forward or front of optic location with a standard RMR milled slide. The SRO has the same mounting footprint but the glass protrudes forward more than a RMR.

If you do need the back up sights, you also shortened the sight radius, which makes using the back up sights more difficult for many people.

Just first thoughts with my first post on these forums.

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
Personal preference is the rear in front. Getting used to shooting with a RDS I don't notice the irons either way.

The rear iron forward will protect the optic though, so there is a benefit beyond visuals.

46545554585_dfb239207b_c.jpg
please forgive my ignorance, but what does the front sight protect the optic from? Obviously it's not protecting it from impact when dropped, but I'm not really sure what else there is.

PM07

Staff member
please forgive my ignorance, but what does the front sight protect the optic from? Obviously it's not protecting it from impact when dropped, but I'm not really sure what else there is.

One handed manipulations, jamming it against a edge etc to clear a malfunction is one reason.

David Mayeur

One handed manipulations, jamming it against a edge etc to clear a malfunction is one reason.

More so for jamming it against an object to rack the slide, but also from brass. This was due to a worn RSA, but it can and has happened. My first RMR had a distinct pattern of brass that hit the upper right corner of the housing.