Rimfire Trainer

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
I was going to post on facebook, but I decided this would be a better place, and hopefully help others out besides myself.

Background: I have a couple of friends who have started shooting NRL matches in the area. I have been on the lookout for a bolt action 22 for awhile, but this is sort of pushing me over the edge. I am a lefty, and am planning on buying a left hand Tikka whenever I can find one in stock. My primary questions are about the optic.

Intended use: I am looking for an optic to use on a bolt action 22 lr. Most of the targets will be1-4 MOA steel plates from 25-125 yards, but I would also like to stretch the gun out further on occasion. I have access to a 300 yard range, and would very rarely shoot beyond that. I would like to stick with a mil reticle to match everything else I have.

Questions:

What sort of magnification range would you recommend? I know that the distances are close, but the targets are also small. At what point are you getting into magnification that is excessive for what I am wanting to do?

I was planning on a FFP, but is there any reason to consider SFP?

Are there any specific makes/models that I should be looking at? I don't really have a set budget. I am willing to save to get something, as long as it has a real advantage over a less expensive option.

I will openly admit I am a new into this arena, but I am wanting to learn, and will take any advice you all might have. Thank you in advance, and let me know if I can provide more info to help answer my questions.

Reactions: 22F
If you are hoping to compete in the NRL22 matches, one of the optics available that was specifically designed for those competitions is the Bushnell Match Pro riflescopes, they are fairly hard to find currently and are only available directly from Bushnell.

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
If you are hoping to compete in the NRL22 matches, one of the optics available that was specifically designed for those competitions is the Bushnell Match Pro riflescopes, they are fairly hard to find currently and are only available directly from Bushnell.

Thanks for the info, I've started reading up on it and it does seem to be a good option, especially for the price point. I did subscribe to the back in stock notification, looks like it might take a while before I can grab one.

I picked up one of the Bushnell Match Pro scopes this week, waiting on rings to arrive but should have an initial review of the optic soon.

22F

Staff member
Good stuff. I’ve just put a deposit down on a Bergera barreled action for long range precision rimfire matches around here.
You mob have saved me some dollars in wasted optics.

Thank you.

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
@22F I actually found a left handed bergara in stock at the local gun store, so I had to buy it. So far I am very impressed. I have two other guys who shoot NRL22 that I go with, and one has the same gun right handed, and the accuracy he is getting is nothing short of impressive. That really led me to buy the one I have now. I haven't been able to do any serious accuracy testing with it at this time, but he is getting legitimate 5 shot 1/2 MOA groups with match ammo fairly consistently (ie not just one cherry picked 3 round group). I think you'll be very happy with it.

Reactions: 22F
I finally had time to mount the optic and shoot last weekend. I unfortunately only had bulk .22 LR to shoot with for this trip and the groups were not stellar roughly 4 MOA 5 shot groups. I don't think that necessarily reflects the potentially accuracy of this setup and believe it's most likely a combination of bulk ammo/shooter. I also did have one OOB with this same bulk ammo during this trip. I will be reshooting groups with different ammo/shooters to verify that hypothesis.

The optic was clear/crisp and the turrets punch above the optics pricetag in my opinion. Zeroing was a breeze and for the money I'm very happy with the optic and its performance along with the reticles design.

Rifle Setup:
- Bergar BXR Steel
- Warlock II
- Hailey Strategic SLK sling
- KNS precision sling stud swivels
- Badger Ordnance Standard rings
- Bushnell Match Pro 6-24

IMG_0365.jpeg