Rifle zero.

Setting zero this weekend on a 13.7” 5.56 using a new Vortex Razor HD genII. 1X @25 yards. Turned to 6X to check out the target and decided to just leave on 6X to zero. Back to 1X and the poi moved 2’ high and 8” right. Tried to ask on fb but all folks wanted to do was laugh about me using 6X to zero. Second focal plane optic my dot/center should not move no matter the magnification or am i wrong and just doing it all wrong. Vortex manual says to zero @200 but i started at 25 to start with. Anyone have an idea why the poi moved so drastically. Thnx.

Caomhin

Setting zero this weekend on a 13.7” 5.56 using a new Vortex Razor HD genII. 1X @25 yards. Turned to 6X to check out the target and decided to just leave on 6X to zero. Back to 1X and the poi moved 2’ high and 8” right. Tried to ask on fb but all folks wanted to do was laugh about me using 6X to zero. Second focal plane optic my dot/center should not move no matter the magnification or am i wrong and just doing it all wrong. Vortex manual says to zero @200 but i started at 25 to start with. Anyone have an idea why the poi moved so drastically. Thnx.

It should not do what you’ve reported.

Here is some anecdotal advice: zero at 50 yards.

Try 1X. Let the barrel cool.

35 min later try the 6X.

The initial zero with 55 grain ammo at 50 yards will come close to crossing your line of sight at around 200 yards.

Confirm at 200 yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It should not do what you’ve reported.

Here is some anecdotal advice: zero at 50 yards.

Try 1X. Let the barrel cool.

35 min later try the 6X.

The initial zero with 55 grain ammo at 50 yards will come close to crossing your line of sight at around 200 yards.

Confirm at 200 yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will do. Thanks. I’ll try today if i get a chance. I was thinking about this all day and thought I’d go back and start over

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
The vortex recommendation for 200 is so that it will correspond close to the reticle. You can do other zeros you’ll just have to learn what the reticle is telling you.

I’ve always understood it to zero at max magnification.

Just a nobody here but by simply adjusting the mag back and forth creating a POI change (especially that drastic) would want to make me check the mount.

The vortex recommendation for 200 is so that it will correspond close to the reticle. You can do other zeros you’ll just have to learn what the reticle is telling you.

I’ve always understood it to zero at max magnification.

Just a nobody here but by simply adjusting the mag back and forth creating a POI change (especially that drastic) would want to make me check the mount.
Thnx for the reply. I re checked the torque on the mount to the receiver and then loosened the mount ring screws and re torqued and tried again but i tried the exact same way as before so it may be me doing it wrong. I’m using a new Geissele super precision 1.93 mount.

After a couple emails back and forth with Vortex, i re centered the lpv and used a lead sled on the bench this afternoon. On 1X @50yrds I adjusted until i put three shots touching/almost touching in the bullseye. Zoomed to 6X and it shot over the silhouette target three shots with me aiming at center bullseye just like on 1X.