Rifle lights with M-lok?

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
I am getting ready to switch out my rifle's handguards for a free float M-lok rail, and with that comes the ability to mount a good light on it. I'm not a fan of adding layers of screws/other connectors to things if I don't have to, seeing how my last name ought to be Murphy, so I was wondering if there are any good rifle lights that connect directly to M-lok. Obviously there are M-lok mounts, but I figured it would be worth checking out before I go down that route.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
There are not. With 1913, Keymod, MLok and a few other proprietary mothers of attaching things to rails, light mfg’s aren’t building a light for a specific system that’s not 1913. Hell, even surefire’s scout lights attach to 1913 with screw on pieces.

The Reptilia Torch I think is about the only light body that will directly attach to MLOK without an extra mount. Personally I just run Arisaka in line mounts to Scout light (or Modlight) with proper loctite and torque and have never had an issue just like anyone else running lights.

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
Ah, shoot. I kinda figured that would be an obscure thing. Thanks for the help!
Follow on question: what are y'all's preferred rifle lights? Looking to keep it fairly light, if possible.

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
Yep, just did some searching and reptilia is making one. Says it is compatible with the surefire M300 scout bezels and tailcaps. What are y'all thoughts on the M300 scout?

krax

I'd consider the Reptilia 18350 body when it's released, but I also wouldn't fear the "extra" pieces involved in a separate light body and mount. Having them separate means having a lot of options in how you set things up and saves money if you decide to move your light.

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
Alright, so if I'm gonna end up with a mount if I want to have any options, what rifle lights do you guys prefer? I'm kinda inclined to avoid tape switches, partly because I want to keep the rifle slick, partly because it seems like another point of failure and I don't like additional points of failure, and partly because I want to avoid the potential for a light ND from bumping into things, snagging on my gear, etc. It would also be nice if I could keep it relatively inexpensive, but that isn't an absolute requirement.

WAVandal

I have a SF M600DF bolted to my PWS with a Arisaka Defense Off-Set mount and the factory tailcap. It keeps the light tight to the rail at about the 10:00 position for me. I bought this prior to Modlite's new hotness coming out. The Modlite's use SF Scout style mounts.

I'm a firm believer in buy good stuff once, SureFire, Modlite, Cloud Defensive, even Streamlight.

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
I have a SF M600DF bolted to my PWS with a Arisaka Defense Off-Set mount and the factory tailcap. It keeps the light tight to the rail at about the 10:00 position for me. I bought this prior to Modlite's new hotness coming out. The Modlite's use SF Scout style mounts.

I'm a firm believer in buy good stuff once, SureFire, Modlite, Cloud Defensive, even Streamlight.
Absolutely agree on buying good stuff once, I'm just trying to avoid over spending on gear so I can afford to get some training this coming year.

WAVandal

The Black Friday and Cyber Monday Sales have already saved me several hundred dollars on gear I needed to buy for work and my personal gear. You can get the Cloud Defensive OWL right now for $277.49 on their website. Retail was around $370ish and it comes with batteries, charger, and the mount is integrated. Heck of a deal.

Save your money and buy Modlite.
Agree. I’ve been running a Surefire DF Scout for the past year and it works well. However, after seeing the Modlite PLH head work in person a couple of weeks ago, I ordered one of the complete 18650 lights. The deciding factor for me was the performance past 50 yards. The Modlite was significantly better than the Surefire beyond that distance. Big Tex Outdoors is selling the whole kit with batteries and charger for ~$270 this weekend. Definitely worth it.

Default.mp3

Established
It's not quite the same as direct mount, but the Unity Fusion M-LOK Compatible FUSION Adapter (http://www.unitytactical.com/product/m-lok-compatible-fusion-adapter/) and Frank Proctor Rifle Direct Light Mount (https://frankproctorperformancegear.com/frank-proctor-rifle-direct-light-mount/) does lessen the number of screws that you will have to use. The down side is, as previously alluded to, moving the light around after its been installed can be a chore, as you will need to remove the handguard from the rifle generally in order to access the inside to move the light.

Grayman

Established
No what I mean is save your money up and buy the best which is hands down Modlite. This is a great week to buy Modlite with so many good sales going on.

With that said I am absolutely a proponent of get more training. I understand that Modlite is expensive and that you could buy a streamlight or surefire for less then put that money towards training... the saying buy once cry once definitely applies here! Modlite is next generation technology and leaves the others very far behind. You'll be happier in the long run with the modlite. If you need more info there are a couple threads on here all about it[/QUOTE]

At this point I am firmly in the Modlite train. Expensive? Yes. Output far exceeding everything else? Yes. You can absolutely manage with a Streamlight or Surefire but buy once cry once and all that. I run tape switches but if you don't want to then the regular clicky tailcap will work just fine.
As far as choosing between the heads my personal (So take that as less than $.02 opinion) thoughts at this point are OKW for a do everything rifle and a PLH head for a gun that will be a solely indoor gun. The OKW can work inside just fine IMO while giving you the ability to really punch out with white light, especially if used with a LPVO.

Stobocor

So is there a reason to use a SF DF over a plh? I've read conflicting reports between the two. Some seem to say the plh is a clear increase in performance over the df, some say there isn't much/negligible. The candela of the plh is nearly 2x, so per specs, there should be a noticeable increase, but that doesn't always hold true.

I have a okw on the way but am considering snagging a plh head as well. That would leave me with a df scout most likely not in use.

Stobocor

I've watched it multiple times. Tough as camera does not always accurately depict what eyes see. I'm leaning towards snagging a plh head with a code I have (to make it a little less expensive) to compare in person.