Rifle Dryfire?

I hear a lot about pistol dry fire practice but i never hear about rifle dry fire. Is it necessary and if so what are so good ways to do it?

RallyMech

Amateur
Rifle dry fire is just as important, although rifle accuracy skill falls off much slower than pistol.

For 3 gun stuff (AR), I generally practice with the bolt locked back for trigger/safety work, and bolt closed for mag changes. All loaded mags are at capacity minus 1, with a spent case as the top round. This gives you a workable safety and trigger for target transitions, mounting the gun, and grabbing/dumping guns. The closed bolt mag drills are to prevent failing to fully seat the mag, and allow for safe handling of weighted magazines. I've screwed up a couple of bolt lock reloads in recent matches, which is incredibly infuriating after the fact.

I use my Mantis X to work on positional shooting. Using a timer for par time, I get into position and break the shot when its ready. Mantis feedback lets me know if I got a hit or not. Greater than 96% is good anything under isnt.