RFI: AMI TAC3S

Dr. Cornwallis

I have an opportunity to pick up some AMI TAC3S plates for a good deal, however I know nothing about them and would like to know more. I visited the AMI website which seems somewhat vague in the description. I was originally going to go with the AT Armor STOP-BZ plates but then I was offered a deal on these. It appears as though they stop just about everything.

1. How thick are they?
2. Are they multi curve or single?
3. Are these good plates or would should I keep saving and opt for the STOP-BZ's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Cornwallis

What are you going to use them for?

The Tac3S is the most durable plate we have ever tested--it will stop M855, M193, 7.62x39mm M43, M80 ball, .300 Win Mag JSP.

They will be used for duty (Fire & EMS) and training.

Dr. Cornwallis

The Tac3S and Stop-BZ are very different plates.

Have you read this: http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/level-iii-patrol-armor-test ?

Thanks Doc. I had not read that until now and it was a very informative read. I understand that the two plates are very different. The light weight and thinness of the STOP-BZ are what turned me on to it, as well as its ability to stop what seems to be common threats.

The appeal of the TAC3S to me is primarily that it seems to pretty much stop just about everything in addition to me being able to get some at a screaming good deal. The down side I see is that they're a little heavier, about twice as thick and are single curve (less comfortable).

DocGKR

Dr.Ballistics
Staff member
Velocity Systems PBZ, AT STOP-BZ, Tencate 6400 is a triple curve plate that offers a relatively thin profile and light weight, along with the ability to defeat multiple hits of both 5.56 mm M193 & M855, 7.62x39 mm FMJ, and 7.62x51 mm FMJ, as long as the hits are spaced about 2" or more apart. It does have a ceramic facing which can crack if the plate is subject to abusive wear and storage conditions, thus should ideally undergo periodic non-destructive testing to assess for occult cracks.

The AMI Tac3S and Tac3S light plates use a steel facing, which is much more durable and tolerant of abuse; this also allows much closer shot spacing--these have demonstrated the ability to stop hits as close as 1 mm apart. However, the plates are a single curve and a bit heavier and thicker.

If knew I was going to face a CONUS attacker I would want to be wearing the AMI; if I had to wear the plates all day long, every day, I'd probably be more comfortable in the Tencate 6400/Stop-BZ/PBZ.

jake0331

If knew I was going to face a CONUS attacker I would want to be wearing the AMI; if I had to wear the plates all day long, every day, I'd probably be more comfortable in the Tencate 6400/Stop-BZ/PBZ.

Out of curiousity, if you were going to face OCONUS threats, what would you be wearing? This isn't for purchasing advice, just furthering my knowledge of armor.

DocGKR

Dr.Ballistics
Staff member
Depends on the environment and threats being faced. If only typical 7.62x39 mm FMJ threats are present, then likely either very lightweight triple curved compressed PE plates if mobility, long hours, or flotation were issues; otherwise thin steel plates if maximum concealment was required. If modern 7.62x54mm AP (7N37) is a danger, then something like xSAPI is the way to go.

Seven14N

I bought the AMI TAC3S several years ago based on DocGKRs recommendation on Lightfighter. I currently use them in a SKD PIG PC at work. They are single curve 10x12 approximately 1 inch thick and 6.8 lbs per plate. I had trouble fitting them into certain carriers.

Attachments

• Height.jpg
    Height.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Thickness.jpg
    Thickness.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Width.jpg
    Width.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 32