Review: Salomon Men's XA Pro Mid GTX Hiking Shoe

voodoo_man

Established
Per forum policy below is full review:

Description:
Per the manufacturers website, the XA Pro Mid GTX are Mid height and fully waterproof, this iconic shoe for moving fast on rough terrain gets an improved collar design for more comfort, and updated outsole for superior grip on any surface. There are several different versions of this shoe, I purchased the standard Black/Black/Asphalt version which is the one I will be reviewing here. I purchased it from Amazon in 9/12 for around $160 and wore them on duty since that time until around 11/15 when I purchased its big brother, the 4D Quest Forces in black.

Reason for Purchase:
I was coming off of wearing "comfortable" but not functional all black shoes on duty the New Balance Men's MW577 Walking Shoe
ir
. Very comfortable, but offered very little in the performance and support I required. I was wearing my first pair of Salomon shoes, the Speedcross 3
ir
's and decided it was time to move up my duty shoe to meet my requirements. Obviously I needed an all black shoe for duty work (policy) and Salomon was making their "forces" shoes as of then, even though I bugged their reps at the Warrior East Expo's I went to through the years. The added ankle support was something I was really looking for and was my deciding factor in going with the Mid's instead of the standard XA Pro Ultra GTX
ir
. As you can see by the photo below (and others), to fix the issue of having an all black shoe, I took a permanent marker to all the white/non-black areas, more on that below.

First Opinion:
The XA Pro Mid GTX shoes came in a very similar box as the SpeedCross 3's and wore very similar. I began to wear them and realized they were more shoe than sneaker, while providing the active support and ability to conduct active movement.

The soles were the same Ortholite branded type as in the SpeedCross 3's and that made the transition very easy. To me they seemed firm at first but after a short time they did not feel any different than my other Salomon shoes, slowly loosening up but not in sacrifice of comfort or performance.

The pull tab/cuff on these shoes double as a pad against rubbing/bruising for your Achilles, which is a well thought out part.

The toes are rubberized and waterproof. While the whole shoe is not waterproof it is water resistant and dries pretty well if water manages to get inside.

These shoes feature Salomon's Quick Lace system
ir
, which is one of my favorite aspects of Salomon shoes. I have never had any issues with this feature and I highly doubt I will ever.

In the Field:
Everyday for about two and half years I wore these shoes on duty. That is anywhere from eight to twelve hours a day, for at least 4 days a week for that entire period. Where I live we encounter all four seasons and while I thought I was going to have an issue in the winter and summer months it all had to do with my sock choices. In the winter I wore smart wool socks
ir
, which are the best socks you can possibly own for such weather. Around the 40 degree mark I started to wear the medium weight/performance
ir
version and when it got anywhere below 30 degree's I wore the heavy weight/performance
ir
version. On the hot side, when it got to around the 80-90 degree mark I started wearing Under Armor HeatGear No Show socks, which are pretty good at not letting your toes/heels get sticky hot.

The above images shows the biggest issue I had develop, the back heel began to rub raw under the rubber material and it would make a "squish" sound when I walked. That was probably a few months past its extended use date and required replacement.

Aside from the heel rubber worn off at the edges, above shows the difference in the two, the right has more wear on the heel because it the foot I use to hit the gas/brake pedals. If you look at the left shoe towards the front inner side you will see a big chunk missing. That is from stepping on a pretty gnarly exposed nail and it ripping a chunk of my shoe off when I walked by. That was about three months before I decommissioned the shoe from duty work.

The above image shoes a nice little hole from when I ran into a burning building. Aside from being covered in ash, one of the shoe tops took a piece of timber or something that burned a small hole in it. That was about a year or so into its use, I did get the occasional rain drop that would find its way in there, but nothing that compromised the shoes ability to properly function.

Ownership and Usage:
These shoes were my workhorses for years on duty. I regularly had to use a black marker
ir
to darken the non-black areas but no one ever mentioned anything to me about them. Eventually the Salomon Forces Blackout
ir
version came out of this shoe, I guess I was in front of the wave on this one. After two winters with these shoes and with the above holes and wearing from use I decided it was time to upgrade to a more traditional "boot" style which would have better luck in the winter than these would in their very used state, which made be go with my purchase of the Salomon 4D Quest Forces
ir

Final Thoughts and Recommendations:
These are the best duty shoes I have ever worn. They are comfortable in all the right places, easy on and off, fit the bill in terms of range of application and use. I would have purchased the blackout's if they were available and a coworker who saw these did wait until the blackout versions were available and bought them, he is still wearing his everyday on duty. If you work in warm climates all year round and the mid is just too much shoe for you, then the XA Pro 3D Ultra
ir
might be the ticket. Other considerations are the Lowa Zephyr GTX Mid
ir
, Under Armour Tactical Mid
ir
line of shoes and other traditional LE specific "duty" style boots like Danner's
ir
, though I highly doubt you will get the same level of comfort from those selections as you would from the Salomon shoes. Next time you are looking for a good training shoe or a law enforcement / duty style or even a daily / EDC shoe that can take the rigors of serious use this shoe should be at the top of your list.
Just a note, if you were wondering, the shoe that is being reviewed/photo'd here is no longer available in that configuration as it was replaced by a Black/Black/Asphalt XA Pro Mid GTX
ir
shoe as well as the XA Pro Mid Ultra 2 GTX
ir
shoe. The Blackout photo'd below is the same shoe, ostensibly, but completely black.

Please check out the review here -> http://www.vdmsr.com/2016/05/salomon-mens-xa-pro-mid-gtx-hiking-shoe.html

N

nate89

Great review, especially covering the longevity aspect. Good to see the quick lace system held up so well over time. I assume that is the original lace, correct? I bought a set in November last year, and have been wearing them somewhat regularly, and couldn't be happier.

voodoo_man

Established
Great review, especially covering the longevity aspect. Good to see the quick lace system held up so well over time. I assume that is the original lace, correct? I bought a set in November last year, and have been wearing them somewhat regularly, and couldn't be happier.

Thanks for reading it.

You are correct it is the original lace system, I have never broken, ripped or otherwise had any issues with this system on any salomon shoe.

akshayv

I have wide feet and it is always difficult to find shoes that are comfortable, especially when buying them over the internet. Fortunately, these fit the bill quite well from the first wearing when I put them on and breathed a sigh of relief. Nice to know Orthofeet a shoe company I can depend on for future purchases.

Great review, thanks for the time you put into it.
I have serious foot and leg issues, I broke myself and started getting old. Docs have me in rehab, I hike 4-5 days a week trying to fix myself. I needed a good pair of shoes/boots and op tactical was running a sale on the XA Forces mids so I picked up a pair.
I have almost a year on them hiking on trails most of the year until the snow got knee deep. I agree, with sock choice, I wore them from hot and humid 90's to around 0 with - windchills. I also wore them training and for casual trips to my dirt and rock range. After a couple months they fit my feet like nothing ever has for the weight. They are one of the most comfortable pair of hiking boots I've owned. I also started using them when I would be on my feet for long periods of time. After they loosened up they really molded to my odd shaped feet, slightly wide with low arches. They have a great amount of support as far as stability. There is some ankle support, not as much as a higher boot but for something so light on the feet I couldn't ask for any improvement.
So far they are holding up, no problems yet. I wish I had them back when I did security patrol. Besides needing boots for work for 20 years I also spent a lot of cash on hiking boots as then I spent most of my free time in the woods. I am planning on getting another pair of the Salomons when the pair I have start wearing out.

Blitzer613

Amateur
Great review, thanks for the time you put into it.
I have serious foot and leg issues, I broke myself and started getting old. Docs have me in rehab, I hike 4-5 days a week trying to fix myself. I needed a good pair of shoes/boots and op tactical was running a sale on the XA Forces mids so I picked up a pair.
I have almost a year on them hiking on trails most of the year until the snow got knee deep. I agree, with sock choice, I wore them from hot and humid 90's to around 0 with - windchills. I also wore them training and for casual trips to my dirt and rock range. After a couple months they fit my feet like nothing ever has for the weight. They are one of the most comfortable pair of hiking boots I've owned. I also started using them when I would be on my feet for long periods of time. After they loosened up they really molded to my odd shaped feet, slightly wide with low arches. They have a great amount of support as far as stability. There is some ankle support, not as much as a higher boot but for something so light on the feet I couldn't ask for any improvement.
So far they are holding up, no problems yet. I wish I had them back when I did security patrol. Besides needing boots for work for 20 years I also spent a lot of cash on hiking boots as then I spent most of my free time in the woods. I am planning on getting another pair of the Salomons when the pair I have start wearing out.

How long did it take for them to loosen up for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longer than I thought as they are really light. At about 20 or so miles they started to loosen up a little but still fairly stiff. At about 100 miles they fit really nice, about perfect. It may take me longer than most as I have low arches. The support and stability they offer is worth it to me as they do feel amazing now.

Blitzer613

Amateur

Longer than I thought as they are really light. At about 20 or so miles they started to loosen up a little but still fairly stiff. At about 100 miles they fit really nice, about perfect. It may take me longer than most as I have low arches. The support and stability they offer is worth it to me as they do feel amazing now.

You know, it’d be nice if we had an app for smartwatches that would semi-passively track distance and time for wear on different shoes

You know, it’d be nice if we had an app for smartwatches that would semi-passively track distance and time for wear on different shoes

I can come close estimating as I only wore them for my morning walks/hikes. I wear them most of the time now, even running to the store. Many years ago I went on a 5 day backpacking trip without properly breaking in new boots. That was some suck, never want to make that mistake again.

Ah, the Salomon XA Pro Mid GTX shoes are solid companions on the trails! Their support and waterproofing make them a favorite among hikers. Speaking of hiking gear, finding the right hiking outfit complements these shoes perfectly. It's amazing how the right gear enhances the whole hiking experience.