Retardation of the firearms industry

AT Armor

Vendor
I saw the fb traffic on it today and read the article. I tried without success to determine the "so what?" for the piece. Dont get me wrong, I understand that the industry has (and will always have) sub performers whose presence and influence has become more pronounced due to the availability of so-called information and market saturation. Yes, there are a LOT of oxygen converters that should not be involved in such a critical industry.
I absolutely agree with the author's position, but it's kind of a MOTO piece that will not persuade those that need persuasion. If you read it and say "yeah" ....odds are you were already there. As for those who read it and get bent out of shape? Well, they aren't going to change anytime soon.
However, I am reminded every day (literally) that there are some (actually a lot of) outstanding dudes around the industry. Their presence and participation reinforces my optimism that at its core the industry (the worthwhile part of it) is in good health. Some of these men are well-known, some are obscure or completely unknown, some are young civilians just starting out on the journey and want to be part of something they truly believe in. Consumers and industry stakeholders in the community just have to continue to reinforce the good, marginalize the bad, and throw the bullshit flag when appropriate. We will only become as "retarded" as we let ourselves become. Odds are if you are on here you are determined not to succumb anytime soon either.

WeaponOutfitters

Amateur
Vendor
Ignorance is in every niche, every interest. It is a fundamental, unalterable fact of human societies and groups: not everyone is going to actually know what the fuck they are talking about.

For the mass market, "retardation" is to be expected. A lot more people have made riches selling to the ignorant than the educated/snobby.

I like to stick to the high end and cutting edge because i'm fundamentally interested in firearms a lot more than I am interested in the retail business, haha.

Grayman

Established
Our agency is dealing with this first hand... We have unqualified individuals representing themselves as God only knows what to vendors in order to T&E equipment they have absolutely no use for and worst no intention of providing useful feedback about.

This behavior has now several times "cock blocked" the members of our agency responsible for testing and approving new equipment from getting their hands on items we actually need feedback on.

Personally I'm fed up with this activity! It is starving our industry of extremely valuable input from end users. I don't think there is a solution to this problem but I also don't think we should why away from calling people out on their BS.

If I were king of the universe Blue Falcon awards would be handed out to all offenders and a mandatory BF registry would be in effect including face tattoos and uniforms emblazoned with the majestic blue falcon!!!

Palehorse68

When turds like that rise to the surface, It's our duty to call them out. I can't stand it when I hear about an individual who claims to be something they are not, especially if they have never been on a two way range.

jr1572

Amateur
When turds like that rise to the surface, It's our duty to call them out. I can't stand it when I hear about an individual who claims to be something they are not, especially if they have never been on a two way range.

If there was only a way to verify everyone's claims...

JR1572

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
Within the forum here - we have an excellent foundation of SME's. If someone posts something of a questionable nature - it needs to be called out.

Our network is very connected and the truth will be presented.

Mick-boy

VIP
I'll caveat my comments by saying that I know the author and believe him to be a solid guy with his heart in the right place.

That being said; I think there's a lot of "yeah....so?" in this article. It probably could be filed in the obvious statements of the obvious for most of us. I'm sure this is news in some circles... it isn't in mine.

Additionally I think we can differentiate between and expert in firearms, an expert in shooting and an expert in tactics. One of the best shooters that I know has never been in combat or been employed in a "tactical" capacity. Some of the most knowledgeable men I've spoken with about firearms are "hobbyists" with six or seven decades of experience studying their hobby.

As always, the onus is on the student. Know what information/skills you're searching for and be careful where you go to meet your needs. But don't dismiss someone out of hand because they haven't seen the elephant. I get my times burned down all the time by nerds and POGs. I wouldn't ask them for "tactical" tips (some day I'll write a rant about how abused *that* word is)... but they can teach me a thing or two about running guns efficiently.

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
There are also plenty within the firearms industry who chose to make a "business" decision instead of talking truth to power. The companies that are most guilty of this are the damned gun magazine industry. Lots of fluff, very little substance, all to make a pile of $ on advertising and magazine sales, selling the delusions of grandeur many gun owners seem to have. Sure, I can see the cost benefit analysis with some of these magazines who actually have very good content (such as the Sniper magazine, the meat vs fluff ratio is much higher then then norm), and some which are about 50/50 (like SWAT). But those are noted exceptions.

Sure, I understand that the vast majority of gun owners are not professionals, but many of them at least aspire to own or carry a firearm for the purpose of defence. The maelstrom of bullshit that is propagated by much of the firearms media, combined with the long-held dogma and institutional inertia of professional organisations does little service to this majority of the market. Add to that the ratio of shit "instructors" out there and it just compounds the problem.

As far as the article is concerned, this is nothing new in our circles. What drives me nuts is that there are a lot of people in the industry that will defend this ass hatery to the bitter end because it protects their bottom line.

*Caveat- I don't agree with the notion that an instructor has to be of a tactical back round to be effective or viable. But if your intended goal is take said skill sets in to combat, having an instructor who can frame his curriculum from that perspective add's value. Thats not to say that each guy who has seen the elephant is going to be effective as an instructor either. I've seen a lot of stupid shit come out the tactical community as well, likely the result of not paying attention to the axiom "Just because it didn't kill you doesn't mean it works."

Atlas

As a kid who works at a gun counter to supplement my training/hobby. Yes everything in this article yes times a thousand. The worst is the people who come in and know everything they read on the internet and then argue with me. and most of them are carrying an oxygen tank. I have quite a few hobby shooters/ collector come in. and they totally just like guns, like shooting. and that's it. they aren't in it to learn to fight. They just wanna shoot. And then I get the militia / military drop outs who need to "prep" and think having 80 guns will fix being 120lbs over weight. not to mention all the ( don't take offence to this unless you are positive you know what I am talking about ) the insurance fraud and parking cops who come in needing a 10.5" lwrc for who fucking knows why. I honestly think one of the worst contributors to this problem is the military. Every kid in my unit thinks he knows about guns because hey! I have a combat MOS that means my opinion is valid..... No fucktard. shut up. Dear god this needed to be said.