Requesting range use for outside training.

travis B

I need some help. I’m going to ask permission from my work to allow the use of our range for a outside class. We allow other local Law Enforcement Agencies to use it but allowing non Mil / LEO I think will worry them. They are always concerned about liability. Any special wording I should add or leave out to ease their mind of outside people training on site?

jBravo3

I assume there are mandatory liability release/waiver forms already in place. I wasn't sure if you meant "special wording" regarding modification to an existing waiver or "special wording" regarding your actual, formal request for usage authorization. If there are no liability waivers in use, get them and use them, after ensuring that they've been reviewed and approved by competent authority (eg, municipal/county attorney, etc.). In addition, assure the "powers that be" that there will be a vetting process involved and describe that process (eg, written letter of character reference/recommendation from within agency, records checks, CCW permit, proof of training in safe weapons handling, etc). That should do it.

travis B

Yes. The company has waivers. It’s just that a lot of people automatically hold LEO in higher regard than civilians. And while our company allows local law Enforcement agencies to train at our range they are reluctant to let an outside class come. I sent an email requesting the use. The reply was that he’d have to take it up to senior management and that they’ve done it in the past but they were allowed 2 slots for our training staff to attend. I told them that would be up to the training class that comes because that’s their information. We’ll see what they say.