Remington R12 (Versamax) vs. Beretta 1301 Tac?

Runcibleman

So I have an opportunity to pick up a Remington R12, which is normally not sold to the public (though it's not illegal to do so, Remington are just being silly), which is a slightly different Versamax Tactical for the LE market, so 18" barrel, 6+1 tube, and a slightly funky Mlok looking set of mounting points at the very fore:
https://www.remingtondefense.com/shotguns/autoloading/r12/82795.html

The Beretta 1301 Tactical, well, you know what it is... (I like the OD green, for whatever it's worth)
http://www.beretta.com/en-us/1301-tactical-od-green/

So, is there any reason I should drop the same dollars on more "tactical" VersaMax than a Beretta 1301? I understand the recoil might be slightly lower, if the weight is the same (both manufacturers quote the same 6.4 lb for the two guns), but the Beretta 1301 is just the all-time champ of eating everything from white-box cheapo trap loads to full-power Brenneke slugs, right?

Runcibleman

Nevermind, that isn't Mlok anything, that's just an accessory shroud that you can add Picatinny sections to, still pretty neat, too bad it's not Mlok though!

CodyY

Dont have it yet, but I'm leaning 1301 just because Aridus makes all that magpul adapter schwag. That gives you the Mlok too. Call me TacticalTimmyGamerFag all day, it's cool stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wake27

Very small sample size, but I doubt I’d ever trust a product from Remington’s factory again. If they figured out a way to make the 870 a failure, I can’t imagine their more complicated firearms are much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kain

I'm in agreement with Wake, the number of issues big green has had in recent years, and even less than recent if we are honest makes me gun shy, no pun intended, on a lot if not all of their current production rigs. Which is sad, but the truth. If you are buying something as a working gun I'd put more faith in a Beretta than the Remington. Now, if you are doing the whole collecting thing and like the fact that it a relatively rare modern production gun to add to the collection, then by all means, but for a working gun I'd go towards the Beretta myself. Seen several Beretta auto loaders take a pounding over the years and keep on going. Wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their autoloaders myself.

Runcibleman

Excellent advice! Thank you! Now I just need to bear the nearly $1000 cost through gritted teeth. And then bear the cost of the Aridus components, but I'll wait a few months before I start shelling out on those. I mentally must have the experience to justify the cost of improvement...

Wake27

Excellent advice! Thank you! Now I just need to bear the nearly $1000 cost through gritted teeth. And then bear the cost of the Aridus components, but I'll wait a few months before I start shelling out on those. I mentally must have the experience to justify the cost of improvement...

Some place had them for under $900 within the last month or two, maybe arms unlimited?

Runcibleman

Some place had them for under $900 within the last month or two, maybe arms unlimited?

Ah yes, but that was the old model. I'd rather just get the new Gen 2 at the lowest cost available and not have to spend $75 for Aridus Industries' overpriced bolt release shroud.

dcsp3x

I've had both, and funny enough won the last sporting clay tournament I entered with my 'team' of sorts with a Versamax tactical (choke selection and skill trumps long ass stupid bird barrels). Many funny looks my way shooting against berettas, benellis, browning and so on, but doesn't really matter because the gun performs. The chamber design of the Versamax is pretty ingenious if you actually take the time to look at it, the shells themselves function as gas regulators and makes bird/target shot feel like shooting 22s or BBs and heavier loads are no problem.

My 1301 was a gen 1 and the thing shot lights out. The accuracy I was getting with buckshot was insane and slugs where no joke either, which I contribute as much to the sights as the gun itself. I never experienced the issues the internet loves to focus on since they have to find something to hate no matter what, and haven't been killed in the streets without the bolt latch cover/stopper/upgrade. I understand its a simple fix for gen 1 guns, it just has never actually happened to me.

That being said, I feel if you are more of the defensive mindset, the 1301 being ultra lightweight, having a more aggressive texturing and being super accurate and reliable wins out. If you want a do all shotgun the Versamax can, in my experience do it all very well with the only change I would want for mine is a smaller barrel for non-outdoor/aerial type activities, like the R12. R12 vs the 1301? For me its a coin flip after having using both.

Runcibleman

Thank you!

Sorry to whoever else was in the bidding for that 1301LE with the extension out of factory. The price was right, and your high-bid was only the buy-it-now price, so I snapped it up that way. I'll let you shoot it if you come to the East.