Remington R10?

My org just procured some Remington R10 's for entry teams. It is an AR-10 in 308 with a 16in barrel. Supposedly it passed our firearms evaluation for reliability. This test was 5k or 10k rounds with no maufunctions. I have only found one comment on the web about the rifle and the comment was derp. Does anyone have info on this thing? Links would be appreciated.

Just a correction, the testing was for a 10k round "service life" of the system, not maufunction free cycling. It pays to read a little slower.

MrMurphy

From what I've seen and heard the Remingtons are relabeled DPMS.

i would be VERY hesistant to use one in any sort of duty capacity without beating the ever loving shit out of one first to see how it does. Out of curiousity.......a 16" .308 entry gun?

From what I've seen and heard the Remingtons are relabeled DPMS.

i would be VERY hesistant to use one in any sort of duty capacity without beating the ever loving shit out of one first to see how it does. Out of curiousity.......a 16" .308 entry gun?

The justification is that a 308 round with 150 grains will penetrate 12 to 18 inches in ballistic gelatin but with almost 2 1/2 times the energy of the 5.56.

I don't know about overpenetration, but I'm sure it's something that they took into consideration. The platform was chosen after the cartridge was selected, which is the way I think it should be done. The weapon is only a delivery system.

I worry about a lot of aspects of using a new 308 for an entry weapon. How loud is the thing? I have an old HK G3 clone with a 14.5 barrel with a pinned and welded compensator and that puppy will ring my bell on a open square range. If you put it in a building with a couple people with no ear pro and it will make somebody deaf.

It's long. 16" plus a compensator. Not a real bad barrel length but the AR-10 receiver is longer than the AR-15.

It will also be the only 308 in our inventory so how will logistics work for ammo to train with? If they don't have the money for ammo are they going to complain if I buy my own ammo and run it through their gun? What if there's a failure while I'm using non-issue ammo?

It's a Remington. Is it poorly made? Time will tell how the production guns run. It's rare to see part of a company culture build high quality equipment while another part of the same company produces poor quality equipment. Typically, pride in your product branches across the entire company and is a result of good management that stress' that high quality.

And last but not least, if the 308 is the cats meow for entry weapons, why is nobody else using it?

Longeye

Established
This thread makes my head hurt.

Nobody is using .308 for entry because it is too much of a good thing. For all the reasons you mentioned.

I get the feeling there is some derp in the selection process that resulted in picking the .308.

Who did the 5k or 10k service life "testing"? Not saying it did not happen, but that is a lot of shooting and a fair dollar outlay unless your agency is large. If it did happen, using only one weapon is a pretty narrow sample pool.

Remington is not the company of old. It is part of a collection of companies, of which several are AR focused. Arguably, those AR companies were not shining stars in the industry when they got bought out. Little has changed, except the roll mark on the side. The R series ARs were originally marketed to the Fudd crowd.

Even if .308 was a viable entry round, there are very few AR types that I would consider for duty use.

Longeye

Established
I would be looking at Knights or LaRue. But I would buy SCAR 17 rifles way before any AR type.

Why again was .308 chosen for entry?

The superior terminal ballistics of the 308 is the stated reason. Again, this is not "Go pick your dream 308" option my management is presenting. It is a "here is the option, take it or leave it." Personally, I am almost ready to go with the LWRC M6 as that is our only other good option but before I pull the trigger on that investment I wanted to know if waiting for the R10 might be a better investment.

Remington's reputation has been getting worse lately but I was hoping that someone in the industry could give a little up to date info on the company's quality control. That or have some independent review of the R10.

The rifle is not available for our individual LE personal purchase yet however, typically it will be available after a year or two of duty use.

Longeye

Established
I would not touch the R10 with a ten foot pole if you have the option of the LWRC M6.

Unless you are doing a great deal of animal control on things bigger than deer, the 5.56 will get it done all day long and twice on Sunday.

Longeye

Established
The superior terminal ballistics of the 308 is the stated reason.
Remington's reputation has been getting worse lately but I was hoping that someone in the industry could give a little up to date info on the company's quality control. That or have some independent review of the R10.

The rifle is not available for our individual LE personal purchase yet however, typically it will be available after a year or two of duty use.

Has your agency had a failure to stop with 5.56?

Remington has earned their reputation, and has not made any apparent effort to reverse their downtrend.

The R10 is a gun I would grudgingly accept if issued, but would not spend a dime to buy out of pocket. Unless the choice was a very stark "It is buy this rifle for patrol/entry, or don't carry a long gun at all"