Remington 700P

Good base platform to build from. Accurate. Pretty reliable.
It's a better quality barrel and stock than anything in the commercial M700 tactical line. I'm more partial to the 5R 20" threaded muzzle though.

That being said, I also don't like Remington all that much. Throwing aside the trigger controversies, they have pretty poor quality control. Remington receivers are not concentrically round because of loose machining tolerances, and the actions are pretty gritty until you break them in, which takes a while. Given the trigger issues, and the fact that there are numerous reports of the X-Mark adjustable trigger not holding adjustment, a replacement aftermarket trigger would be mandatory IMO. It's a good beginner rifle, but given the cost of the 700P, there are numerous options in the same price category from other companies that offer better value and quality.

I personally believe that the FN SPR and Tikka T3 CTR are a better value. Both have much better build quality than Remington. FN's CHF chrome-lined barrels are rated at up to 20k rounds, and are sub-MOA accurate. FN uses the Mauser style controlled round feed extractor, which is more reliable and robust than the Remington design.
Tikka uses Sako technology, so you have very good machining, accurate barrels and an action that is smooth as glass.

Chris Taylor

Random Factor of the K Power
One big thing Remington has over all competitors is aftermarket support, which when you get deeper in the game can be a good thing.

As a base rifle, it's good, and with some custom work can turn into a real blaster. It has it's warts, but has a lot going for it as well. But as @Andy Beefcastle said, there are other options if you don't mind a bit more searching for "stuff". If this is a starter rifle that you'll build later, errbody builds 700s, most folks do M70s (FN SPRs), but you may have to look a little deeper for someone to do any of the "import" makes.

As a side note, I'm somewhat disappointed in FNs take on the M70. Some (ok... mainly one) of the manufacturing changes they did are not for the better.

Caomhin

The FN SPR Action/Receiver is all drop forged and milled to spec. It's "the proper" method of building such a device to my eggheadish fantasy of me starting a business making precision bolt guns.

Remington, in all fairness took a Mauser action and conducted a Design of Experiments to determine what features played what role in accuracy. Then they eliminated features (which reduced manufacturing costs). What you see is what is required to have an economical precision bolt gun action/receiver. It was brilliantly executed.

That said, the FN SPR will probably only need to be fully bedded and they will then shoot about 1/2 MOA for ~10k rounds.

Actually, the A3G is GUARANTEED to do so and the only difference between it and the others is the stock.

The receiver was required by the FBI to withstand 50k shots and it passed - but so did the GAP rifle and so did the AI.

There is a company that sells FN Bolt Rifles but they bed them all prior to selling them and the prices are NICE.

The only drawback from FN is that they don't currently sell the barrels and receivers independent of a complete rifle. I understand why but I purchased a receiver long ago when they did and I'd like to purchase one of their barrels to have GAP mate the two: no go.

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Austin Black

Amateur
The FN SPR Action/Receiver is all drop forged and milled to spec. It's "the proper" method of building such a device to my eggheadish fantasy of me starting a business making precision bolt guns.

Remington, in all fairness took a Mauser action and conducted a Design of Experiments to determine what features played what role in accuracy. Then they eliminated features (which reduced manufacturing costs). What you see is what is required to have an economical precision bolt gun action/receiver. It was brilliantly executed.

That said, the FN SPR will probably only need to be fully bedded and they will then shoot about 1/2 MOA for ~10k rounds.

Actually, the A3G is GUARANTEED to do so and the only difference between it and the others is the stock.

The receiver was required by the FBI to withstand 50k shots and it passed - but so did the GAP rifle and so did the AI.

There is a company that sells FN Bolt Rifles but they bed them all prior to selling them and the prices are NICE.

The only drawback from FN is that they don't currently sell the barrels and receivers independent of a complete rifle. I understand why but I purchased a receiver long ago when they did and I'd like to purchase one of their barrels to have GAP mate the two: no go.

What company sells the bedded FN rifles?

Caomhin

In my second to the last post I have an "error". The difference btwn the A3G and the others is the STOCK is FULLY BEDDED BY GA PRECISION - not a different stock.