REM 700 AAC-SD good loads?

Any of you guys running a REM 700?

What's your go to load for 100 to 500yard

What about 100 to 999 yards.

You all shooting factory I would guess
?
But would also like to hear from the guys that read load.

Its not hard to reload for them. I assume you are talking .308, and as such you can never go wrong with the gold standard 175smk over XXX RL-15, Varget, 4064

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Taylor

Random Factor of the K Power
A- there are plenty of online reloading sources for specific recipes, including most of the major component manufacturers. Those are agood place to start.

B- using load data from the internet, except from the aforementioned manufacturers is silly* and could be potentially dangerous. As such, projos and powder recommendations are fine, but specific recipes are a no go.

*- every rifle is different, so the loads that work in one may not be the secret sauce for another. Chamber dimensions, bore dimensions, harmonics, bedding, etc ad nauseum, as well as lot-to-lot variations between components, are all variables that effect final performance.

Start with published load data from a manufacturer, then ladder up to find the sweet spot for your rifle. Only way to be sure.

jwramp

Bird's Eye View
Pet load for my AAC-SD has been 178gr AMAX over Varget w/ CCI BR-2 (just because they're what I can find often) in Lapua cases. Have used fired FGMM cases to great success too. I seat them to 2.805" to ensure feeding in the Magpul Hunter chassis and mags. Any longer seems to get the tips catching on the bottom of the receiver. Longer will fit in the mags, they just get caught on the way up out of the mag... might be able to just dremel out a notch on the bottom of the receiver if you wanted to seat things longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the info.

I have several loads worked up most with Varget and 168s SMKs and Varget with 175s SMKs

Now just to get the time to get to the range and start running them through the crono and group testing.

I don't shoot an AAC, but I do shoot a M700 5R.

What I have found as far as factory loads:

1. FGMM 175gr is the standard. It performs well, but not extraordinary.

2. Hornady Superformance 178gr BTHP rounds performed exceptionally well in my rifle. At my home elevation of 530' (DA 2350) they clocked an average of 2766 fps. I took a precision rifle class in Utah and was able to hit a target from 1450 yds on my 2nd attempt, with 1 follow-up shot to confirm with this ammo.

3. 168gr bullets are sub-par performers at extended ranges.

For handloads:

The only handloads I do for this rifle are with Berger 185gr Juggernauts. I've got my load worked up to 2600fps+. With that I usually only have to dial around 10.4 mils to reach 1000 yds, depending on the atmospherics of the day. I'm not giving my recipe for this load online, but if you do decide to work this load up, use the Berger book and go from there.

I don't shoot an AAC, but I do shoot a M700 5R.

What I have found as far as factory loads:

1. FGMM 175gr is the standard. It performs well, but not extraordinary.

2. Hornady Superformance 178gr BTHP rounds performed exceptionally well in my rifle. At my home elevation of 530' (DA 2350) they clocked an average of 2766 fps. I took a precision rifle class in Utah and was able to hit a target from 1450 yds on my 2nd attempt, with 1 follow-up shot to confirm with this ammo.

3. 168gr bullets are sub-par performers at extended ranges.

For handloads:

The only handloads I do for this rifle are with Berger 185gr Juggernauts. I've got my load worked up to 2600fps+. With that I usually only have to dial around 10.4 mils to reach 1000 yds, depending on the atmospherics of the day. I'm not giving my recipe for this load online, but if you do decide to work this load up, use the Berger book and go from there.
Thanks for the info. I'm not new to reloading and what I'm really looking for is power bullet combinations not exact load data. I will also easy follow manuals min and work up to safe loads.

Thanks

Flash22

Sorry for the necro reply and was interested on how the 175g faired in the AAC.

I have a 20" 700 SPS tac that likes Hornady 168g BTHP and Hornady TAP ammo. It shoots the stuff MOA without any issues. With that said most of my work on it has been 300 and in and have stretched it out to 550 w/o issue. It's a light weight rifle that I use for hunting pigs and getting into sniper training a few years ago.

I'm looking to pick up the 700 AAC and drop it in an AI chassis in the near future. I plan on trying out the 175 SMKs to push it out further.

Work gun is a 20" AE Mkiii and is we are issued Hornady 168g SMK and 180g Accubond. Both rounds preformed as expected as well as the TAP we were previously issued.