Red dots making it into the movies

Smith

Saw the new Matrix movie yesterday. One of the agents pulls a pistol with what looks like a Sig red dot (kind of flat and rounded). Of course, he doesn't use it to aim and shoots one-handed, but hey, nice to see an RDS in a movie! (Incidentally, the movie isn't super great. If you don't see it, you haven't missed much.)

There was also a trailer for Ambulance, in which Jake Ghyllenhall's character pulls a pistol with a dot (I think an RMR, not sure what pistol it's on).

I don't recall ever having noticed a dot in a movie, but maybe I just wasn't looking before I got into the dot craze myself? Does anyone remember dots showing up in movies?

ScottR65

I’ve heard nothing but bad reviews on the new Matrix. But good eye on the red dots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pointblank4445

Established
Ronin (1998) has Skarsgard rocking a Glock with a holosight on top of competition mount that's a forefather of a Geissele 6-second mount.
Romeo + Juliet (1996), John Leguizamo slaps a C-More onto his blinged-out Taurus 92 in the opening (and the only mildy amusing) part of the movie.
Predator 2 (1990), not sure if you'd call that thing on Glover's desert eagle a laser or a red dot, but I'll throw it in. I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt given they nailed some other shit way beforehand:

Predator 2 (1990) has damn near EVERY police pistol has something attached to it...light, laser, or optic...and the hits don't stop there! Some long gun optics/aiming devices in there too!
- Heavy street violence/neighborhood destruction 2 years before the riots
- Cops being heavily out-gunned by criminals with heavier firepower/assault rifles 7 years before N. Hollywood
- Non-sedan squad cars as our current suv's are closer to the black and white Olds Silhouettes they had in the movie
- Non-SWAT officers using shields, plate carrier/hard armor, a CAR15, semi-auto shotguns

Stanislao

Any mention of Romeo + Juliet must be accompanied by scathing comments. That film was terrible in ways not previously imagined and should probably be erased from history. It's not even fun to mercilessly mock with friends like The Room.

Anyway, we're at the closing phases of the red dot revolution, approaching main stream adoption. Basically every duty grade pistol around, including the slim 9s, come cut for an RDS and SCCY sells pistols with an equally abysmal Crimson Trace mrds. About the only thing left is for SIG's competition to ship with optics as well.

I will point out that science fiction has put... stuff on top of handguns since at least Star Wars.

Dherrm

Ive seen a few shows or movie lately running reddots but its only a glimpse. Now I cant remember what I was watching.

Russ

Den of Thieves has a FN45 with a dot plus the main dudes carry gun is a M&p with a dot.

to those who wish me dead, both bad guys rock g19s with rmr’s

Smith

Den of Thieves has a FN45 with a dot plus the main dudes carry gun is a M&p with a dot.

to those who wish me dead, both bad guys rock g19s with rmr’s
Oh I saw Those Who Wish Me Dead, but I didn't notice the RMRs. Will have to check it out again! Good movie.

Smith

Not really RMRs, but the new Terminal List show is pretty good on guns. Apparently the book was written by a Seal. I've never seen so many press checks per minute in my life, he just did a one-handed one just to show off, also tactical reloads and other gun handling stuff. They already brought up 9mm vs. .45.