Red Dot trainer set up

My P320 should be set up for an RMR in the next month or so. All of the wisdom I have seen suggests that getting used to a pistol mounted red dot will take a lot of reps.

I am thinking of getting a TacSol Paclite holster and putting a red dot on my 22/45 for some cost effective reps on a red dot. I know that since the red dot won't reciprocate it won't be exactly the same to track the dot but it wouldn't be the same recoil either.

So here is the feed back I am hoping for. Am I crazy for thinking this will be a helpful tool or should I just do lots of dry reps with the P320 to help with finding the dot on the draw.

Gypsy EDC

My P320 should be set up for an RMR in the next month or so. All of the wisdom I have seen suggests that getting used to a pistol mounted red dot will take a lot of reps.

I am thinking of getting a TacSol Paclite holster and putting a red dot on my 22/45 for some cost effective reps on a red dot. I know that since the red dot won't reciprocate it won't be exactly the same to track the dot but it wouldn't be the same recoil either.

So here is the feed back I am hoping for. Am I crazy for thinking this will be a helpful tool or should I just do lots of dry reps with the P320 to help with finding the dot on the draw.
I found dry reps, and draw single shot drills to be the most beneficial for me when getting used to my 1st RMR'd Glock. Acquiring the dot from draw was where I needed the most work. I have a 22/45 with a primary arms aimpoint clone on it. I didn't find it to be very helpful honestly

vaglocker

VA-Glocker, NOT VAG-Locker
I’ve gotten a lot of benefits from my SIRT pistol on top of which I’ve mounted an extreme budget rds.

armsman

That’s exactly what I have done. I had a Burris fast fire laying on my bench and mounted it on a 22/45 so I can take advantage of my small range at home. It’s not exactly like my Roland set up but it’s working out fairly well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jBravo3

If you're anything like me, you're correct in your assertion that it takes a lot of reps to reach proficiency. I'm still working. I also agree with Gypsy EDC that one of the most difficult things to learn is where/how to find that dot in a hurry from the holster. I may be opening up a can of worms, but I think that if all you've got while you wait for your "real" gun is a 22/45, it will help, but only for particular aspects of the process. Obviously manipulation and feel are a little different, which could arguably be a small obstacle to overcome when you start shooting "for real." I think the main benefits would be accustoming yourself to acquiring the dot from a ready position or from a draw, and transitioning from target to target, although, yes, there's a difference in recoil. The short answer is, in my opinion, if a 22/45 is all you've got in the meantime, use it. My 22/45, now that I have an RMR equipped 19, is primarily relegated to four legged critter control around the farm, and it serves me pretty well in that capacity.
photo-14.JPG

I picked up a fake RMR and screwed it to a LaserLyte trainer I had laying around. Seemed to work alright.

Attachments

• UGrvqBR.jpg
    UGrvqBR.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 17